drsergen's weeklypaint 2013

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
drsergen
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: drsergen's weeklypaint 2013

Post by drsergen » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:47 am

I'm really fond of my khador. since i played that first game with them.

I cant wait to play again.
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

sonofkitrinos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by sonofkitrinos » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:43 am

For your man of wars, try a brown base coat and add Mephiston red to build highlights. Use that chart picture in the other thread as a guideline.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHghowell?feature=mhee
Commissions : http://www.hghowel8.wix.com/amethysthobbies
Interested in commission work? Fire me a pm!

drsergen
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by drsergen » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:46 am

i have the P3 khador paints. . so i might try this with the that red and than the red highlight. and maybe one of my citadel browns.
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

sonofkitrinos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by sonofkitrinos » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Rhinox brown is a good base. If you go this route you won't even need the other highlight coloure
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHghowell?feature=mhee
Commissions : http://www.hghowel8.wix.com/amethysthobbies
Interested in commission work? Fire me a pm!

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:43 pm

okay thanks.

ArqArturo

Post by ArqArturo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:37 pm

What I usually do with my Khador is to go from a few layers of a deeper red (it's a crappy bottom-of-the-barrel paint, but I manage) into Khador red base, and then use some Red ink to blend, and finally add some armor wash (the P3) to make it look dirty. I do highlight it with a blend of khador red base and morrow white, but only slightly, I like my army colors a bit dull in the general sense.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:49 pm

when it comes to painting red i'd say add yellow instead of white.... otherwise pink.
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

ArqArturo

Post by ArqArturo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:19 pm

I think pink would be best (not overtly pink though) since it gives vibrancy to the red overtones.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:23 am

i think ill try to highlight with both.

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:08 pm

works so busy. hope to post pictures soon.

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:17 am

okay i am still getting used to the camera . . some pictures are way to bright. and one or two might be out of focus. and some places where its all one color it hard to see the detail it looks a bit flat. and now I've posted the paint looks WAY thicker than it does with my eye . . but here we go a major Khador update.

this bike has a yriel yellow coat on an averlandsunset coat

i tried using the khador red highlight on this guy i had already painted.

still basecoating this man-o-war

did some base work for socha. is this to much ?
this one focused on the hammer head. . . . .

i glued on my posed arm!!!

and more basecoating.

and my new units came.

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:05 pm

see what i did there. . . . got bored watching youtube videos and kind of sharpened his sword. . . its not sharp but it looks it.

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:58 am

Okay so back to this guy i haven't touched him in a while and i cant remember the last time i gave an updated on him. i have painted over the averland yellow with a lighter yellow (name escapes me)

but the cloak and knickknacks around his waste are bother me. the colors and the metals are to busy. there's not enough contrast and its just missing something. right now the cloak is painted in the citadel bone color. but im starting to think it would look better black

ArqArturo

Post by ArqArturo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:20 pm

Washing the metals a bit, and using a lighter metal color will result in some contrast. Usually I start with a layer of pig metal (the closest equivalent is bolt gun metal) and wash it down, to add some shades, then work my way up from the gold scale, but only in thin layers and almost to a dry-brush.

For the cloak, a dry brushing for darker colors could work? I'm not so sure, personally.

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:33 pm

paint all them, wash with brown/sepia, highlight slightly, contrast but a standard tone to tie them all together
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria