DaOrkyBitz's #theweeklypaint 2013

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
drsergen
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: DaOrkyBitz's #theweeklypaint 2013

Post by drsergen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:23 am

thinning imy paints is the big thing i have to do . . but mixing the paint and what ever im going to use to thin it. it either comes to thin or doesn't seem to do anything.
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:09 am

I just use water. I put my finger in my water pot, and shake 4-5 drops into the pot. Then I give it a good shake. If it looks to thick still, I add more.

I like the flamer end as well, did you use a wash or drybrush to do it?
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

drsergen
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by drsergen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:43 am

what do you mean by pot ? like you put water right in with he paint ?
twitter: @drsergenpaintin instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:53 am

I usually have a cup for water (I actually have the GW water pot container thingy). So I will just drop a bit of water into the paint pot (the actual container the paint comes in).

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:02 am

that a bit nerve racking. . . but might work. i was using a pallet knife and putting a glob into a wet pallet and than using a straw and my finger to drop a bit of water on the paint. . . sounds like my method was putting alot bigger water to paint ratio than yours.

DaOrkyBitz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:11 pm

i have a bottle cap i dip water in, and i dry brushed the oxidation, however, the bronze color is too strong, i should have dry brushed the bronze onto a black surface, then i should have added black dry brush to the end of it.

I was running out of patience because i had to do 10 of them, i wish i had the patience to really test my skills and all my knowledge, but it seems i only ever do that with HQs or high quality models.

DaOrkyBitz
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:11 pm

thank you for the compliments though ^.^

DaOrkyBitz

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:22 pm

finally got some green stuff but i have no tools to work with so please don't judge too harshly. The guy before just had his hands up, and i added a cape to the termie.

DaOrkyBitz

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:52 pm

potential commissar and Company Command squad leader, i think he looks pretty cool if i do say so myself. I was thinking about adding on a cape with green stuff. But i spent so much time highlighting his trench coat it seemed like a waste to model on something of lower quality. Since as you see from my previous post I'm not very good at it yet.

Dez

Post by Dez » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:17 am

Because the background is so far away from the model, it's causing it not to focus on the model. Try taking a pic with anything, even a book, behind the model. Also, placing your camera/hands with cellphone on top of a book to keep them steady works wonders :)

drsergen

Post by drsergen » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:21 am

as does setting the miniature down. looks great. . . i need to get my highlighting better. . .

I THIN MY PAINTS NOW!!!!

check progress.

DaOrkyBitz

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:12 pm

progress checked :] and yeah, i need a light box i just really haven't gotten around to it. Let me try another picture with your suggestions Dez.

still a cell phone camera.

Shas-Woody
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Shas-Woody » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:04 pm

Have you checked to see if it has a macro focus option? Even really basic/ cell phone camera's usually have one and it'll make a big difference. Nice grey highlights and the GS capes look good too. Post one with a front view!

DaOrkyBitz

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:10 pm

Shas-Woody wrote:Have you checked to see if it has a macro focus option? Even really basic/ cell phone camera's usually have one and it'll make a big difference. Nice grey highlights and the GS capes look good too. Post one with a front view!
there is a front view on there D; and yeah ill fiddle with it, maybe ill get lucky.

DaOrkyBitz

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:36 pm

more green stuff! My second attempt at capes. I think they turned out much smoother