Carnifex160's #theweeklypaint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Carnifex160
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Location: Attempting to get out of the Eye of Terror. Not succeeding either.

Carnifex160's #theweeklypaint

Post by Carnifex160 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi all,

As both of my WIP's are going no where, I'm going to end them right where they are and just start up a daily paint. Figured it would be good motivation to get painting so when I do finally find a good FLGS, my army (and stuff) will be done. On to the pictures:

I give you my work so far on my diorama entry for the MotM:

I plan on finishing the diorama and getting in some work on my cultists before the end of the week.

EDIT: How would you guys do a Sons of Horus scheme? I was going to do just an Orkhide shade heavily weathered and beaten, then the bronze for trim... any other better techniques out there that you guys use?

FDARaptor
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Carnifex160's #theweeklypaint

Post by FDARaptor » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:47 pm

I like the poses

Carnifex160
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Carnifex160 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks FDARaptor.

Ok got some work done on the Sons of Horus Marine, finishing off the green on him. Just got to do the gold bits.

I primed up my cultits and got the leader basically done as well. My next goal is going to paint up a whole bunch of Skaven I have lying around. I got IoB and the Skaven book, but never really got around to learning, so learning Fantasy is definetly a goal for the summer. Pics up sooner than later.

easycompany
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by easycompany » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:51 am

Welcome..........

Also looking good! Always nice to have more people taking up the challenge
Curahee!

Carnifex160
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Carnifex160 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks,

I've been sorta busy, but I plan on having the diorama 100% done to by tomorow at the latest. Just gotta do some touch up.

Carnifex160
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Carnifex160 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:23 pm

Well tomorrow has come and gone... I will admit I've done nothing on the model... the MotM has to be submitted I think Sunday so I plan on having it done by then obviously. Its looking really good right now, in my opinion, looking forward to getting it finished.

Joce
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Joce » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:20 am

Carnifex160 wrote:
EDIT: How would you guys do a Sons of Horus scheme? I was going to do just an Orkhide shade heavily weathered and beaten, then the bronze for trim... any other better techniques out there that you guys use?

What is a son of horus sheme?

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:51 am

I guess you could do green washes over a grey basecoat, if you like washes.

Sons of horus/Luna Wolves where what the Black Legion was called before they went full on chaos in the horus heresy.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Joce
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Joce » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:01 pm

Arnathos wrote:I guess you could do green washes over a grey basecoat, if you like washes.

Sons of horus/Luna Wolves where what the Black Legion was called before they went full on chaos in the horus heresy.
I want colors :lol: Green and Grey is that it?

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Well its basically a greyish shade of green, with black or sometimes gold trim. According to the lore the during the heresy they kept using darker and darker shades of green until they finally reached total black as the black legion.

Luna wolves where a slightly grey or beige tinted white, with black trim.

A quick google image search should give you an idea.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Joce
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Joce » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:01 pm

Arnathos wrote:Well its basically a greyish shade of green, with black or sometimes gold trim. According to the lore the during the heresy they kept using darker and darker shades of green until they finally reached total black as the black legion.

Luna wolves where a slightly grey or beige tinted white, with black trim.

A quick google image search should give you an idea.
Yes of course but I would not be intereacting with you guys :P

I just tought it could be an idea for a tutorial.

Carnifex160
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Carnifex160 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:31 pm

Well I kinda rushed as I finished it like 10 minutes ago but here it is:

I did a cheap Sons of Horus scheme (Orkhide shade for the armor and 1:1 Gold (FolkArt Scenics Metallic Sahara Gold) and Mithril Silver).

Really, I should have done Mechanicus Standard grey and then washed over it with Coelia Greenshade for the armor and did a bit more highlights on the trim.

Next update will contain the work I've done on my unit of Cultists.

Carnifex160
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Carnifex160 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:27 pm

Update:

I've decided it was about time to add everyone's favorite monstrous creature to my Chaos Space Marine army: A Daemon Prince! However, I need a MotM entry, so I went with a Dark Mechanicus theme for it. Its based off a miniature from the Star Wars RPG line with some wiring and bits worked in.

Also, I worked on some cultists. The model on the left is the squad leader and the one on the right is a test model for the rest of the unit (sorry the picture turned out a bit blurry).

What do you guys think?

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:57 am

Looks good so far, but I'd like some pics of different angles for your MotM entry. That way I can give some feedback on how to bring it to the next level ;)

Those legs look a bit skinny so adding some armored plates via plasticard would be cool! For flat pieces, you can use old 'For Sale' signs or even packaging you would find in your recycling bing. For rounded pieces and tubes, just cut up some ball point pens or straws.

Have you worked with greenstuff before? I think it would be cool to have some horns or tentacles around the 'face', that would help integrate it into the body better. Of course you could always do some nice pustules if you are a fan of Papa Nurgle ;)

I like the work with the wiring, I suggest integrating that more with the rest of the model. Go crazy!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Carnifex160
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Carnifex160 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:37 am

Ok thank you so much Dez. Truth be told, I ran out of greenstuff a while ago and my FLGS stopped supplying it so I haven't done much with that. Will do with the armor plates and wiring though.

Thanks for the tip!

More pics later today.