TheHoundmaster's #theweeklypaint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
TheHoundmaster
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

TheHoundmaster's #theweeklypaint

Post by TheHoundmaster » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:55 am

So I figure its about time to start this bad boy up. First up: What do y'all think the color of this hub cap should be?

Its been bugging me all night, I just cant decide.
Last edited by TheHoundmaster on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 18 times in total.
The Warhammer Fantasy Guy!

khani
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: TheHoundmaster's #theweeklypaint

Post by khani » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:57 am

I like the color scheme, hub cap is a hard one though, maybe dirty steel?
.... :mrgreen:
Khani is more OT family then Shas! There I said it! -IGfanatic

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

TheHoundmaster
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheHoundmaster » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:41 pm

I think that's what I'll do in order to tie the center of the wheel to the outside. This is my first fancy and clean cannon so I'm really loving it. I'm not sure what to do with the barrel as it looks bright and grainey. Maybe a wash will fix it

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Washes are awesome for artillery, it isn't called Nuln Oil for nothing!

For my Cannon I used a basecoat of Doombull brown, the metal bits are Leadbelcher and the Barrel is done with Hashut Copper, after that I just gave it a generous wash of Nuln Oil and I am pretty happy with the end result:

As for your hubcap, I'm thinking Red, as it ties it in with the wood of the cannon, as the hubcap itself is also wood if you look closely.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:11 pm

I have a couple cannons that look just like this, and you are dead on about Nuln Oil. I go mournfang on the wood, leadbelcher on the metal, and the cannon in Runelord Brass. But this one is fancy so I decided on a silver cannon. I'll take a look at it after the wash to see how it turns out, pics soon!

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:33 am

Take heed ye fiends of Chaos, and mark well the thunder of Sigmar's justice! With faith and steel we shall overcome, by blade and shot shall we triumph! Let the cannons sound, victory to the Empire and Karl Franz!

So I have this thought that Empire cannon crewman are a lot like MLB pitchers. There is a certain superstition that goes along with a winning streak, such as always wearing a certain necklace, using a certain glove, or certain facial hair. In this case I see the empire crewmen doing all kinds of things to make sure their beloved cannon always hit their mark. For starters: NEVER clean her! You're just asking for trouble by wiping off all that soot and powder build up! She has shot straight the last 15 times, ain't no way in hell are you going to mess with THAT kind of streak!

This would explain quite a few misfires.....

So here they are, the cannons! First up: The Innkeeper's Daughter. Filthy and oily, but she always hits the spot!

Next up: Big Olaf, famous for gunning down a champion of chaos clean off his horse while he rallied his troops prior to a battle.

My best piece, I think: Hertwing's Tonker. Enough said.

Lastly, my single mortar: Tater Masher. It is said that during a siege of Bechafen the locals, finding some rather tough root vegetables, loaded them into the mortar as improvised ammunition. While the marauders did laugh, the locals laughed last as the bloody hard potatoes, unscathed by their launch, rained down to knock the villains off their mounts into the mud.

And here we have my first Master Engineer, displaying his black sash and belt to represent his training at the Nuln Gunnery School.

Last but not least, a dire warning...

See now the enemy and know him well! Beware, for this creature is wanted for the murder of no less than 15 Ostermark state troopers, 3 Knights of Sigmar's Blood, damage to His Majesty Karl Franz's steam tank in service to the League of Ostermark, and the dismemberment of no less than 3 clergymen of our beloved Sigmar! Know ye that he is armed and dangerous beyond compare, and very cute.

So ya, dog managed to jump up onto the table that I work on and knock a few pieces (a lot of pieces actually) off. Took a while but in the end I only lost a single standard toppers. Set me back a while as far as painting, but I'll make it up somehow before the weekend. Hopefully during the siege I can get a few good pictures of the whole army!

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:33 pm

My wife gave me some tips on keeping the yellow tint out of my pictures, here is an update on the first Master Engineer

And here is the second, in the colors of the City-State of Nuln

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:37 pm

So to finish off my 3k points of Empire I had a little fun and tried out the different color schemes for some other provinces.

Altdorf, Nordland, and Wissenland

Hochland, Averland, and Talabheim

I still have a Middenheim guy to finish and the Ostermark militia leader, but they will have to wait till after this weekend I think. Hopefully I can get a great picture of my army on a nice GW table for you folks to see the finished product.

...And when I say finished, I mean only just started....

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:51 pm

good, cause this is only the beginning. Anyway I really like how your canons turned out :D
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:51 am

The models look great, and I absolutely love the character you give everything. I find myself just trying to build cool stuff, and don't give much of anything a name or background. I'm trying to immerse myself into that part of the hobby, I think it's going to add another layer of fun.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:32 am

Dez wrote:The models look great, and I absolutely love the character you give everything. I find myself just trying to build cool stuff, and don't give much of anything a name or background. I'm trying to immerse myself into that part of the hobby, I think it's going to add another layer of fun.

Fantasy truly lends itself to awesome conversions, especially the Empire. Getting to choose from Brettonian and Empire parts, along with the odd High Elf conversion, Chaos knight/marauder horse, or dwarf cannon really opens up a world of possibilities that I couldn't find in Space Marines. Orks offer a more whimsical approach, thats why I love painting and modeling them up as looters.

Fluff is important! What really helps me to remember that is what I listen to while I work: Warboss Tae. I'm sure a few of you on the forums have listened to some of his stuff. I love how he comes up with a little fluff, maybe a name, while he paints in order to give himself motivation and the model some character.

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:26 pm

I know this isn't exactly "weekly paint" material, but I have got to share some of the pictures from my weekend trip to Games Workshop World of Battle in Memphis! Some really cool terrains, some really cool armies, and a few pictures of my army in the field. I hope you all enjoy!

Got there early on Friday with hardly anybody in the store. Great time for a full army shot!

Lots of nice looking terrain around too!

I can't do these justice.

Lots of room to play!

This is the "reinforcement" battle between some Dark Elves and High Elves. The winner got to bring aid to their side in the siege. Unfortunately (due to the treachery of elves!) even though the High Elves won the player had to go and we were left to die in Averheim!

Skaven!

Let the siege begin!

In the end we lost the town, but I think my army did a damn fine job. My cannons, mortar, and helblaster were MVPs the whole game. The helblaster managed to shred a HUGE block of storm vermin (the ones in red) and with only 2 misfires throughout the entire game not a single war machine was out for more than a turn! Huzzah!

NOW FOR THE 40k!

SPACE HULK!

Now for the battle!

PHEW! Thats a lot of pictures! I have a GREAT time, hope y'all enjoy too! Only disappointment all day though: No Orks! Ah well, those Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors battling before the gates of the Emperor's palace was epic!

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: TheHoundmaster's #theweeklypaint HUGE pictures update!

Post by Dez » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Epic post! I've seen some of the stuff at Games Day.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

FDARaptor
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by FDARaptor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:11 pm

Dez wrote:Epic post! I've seen some of the stuff at Games Day.
Me as well

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:41 pm

I'm going to put this over in the "conversions" forum too, but I'm just so excited about these that I have to share!

Ok folks, here are some of my new conversions! I'm super thankful to James at Warhammer World of Battle for the help! He is a true Empire fanatic as evidenced by his amazing army here!

But, on the the goods! First up: my first Captusus! Very simple conversion for anyone wanting to try one. Very little filing needed to fit the Empire General horse head on there and Pistolier legs fit like a dream! I wanted to give him both a veteran feel and some warm cloths for those high altitude flights. I figure he'd rock the gun/sword in order to cut down on weight and space. It came out looking a little more like just an outrider on a pegasus than I'd like, but I think with some additional icons and fiddly bits he will turn out.

Next up: General on a griffon! I have to admit that I was scared to try this one. Lots of fine thin areas of the model and the snap-fit style held me back for a while. But with a little coaching from James I found that it was also a really easy conversion! Again, for anyone wanting to try it out: Clip off the rider leaving the legs and possibly the hand holding the reins, saw off some Pistolier legs at the knee, and give him a little green stuff seat in order to fill any gaps. From there its just gap filling and fun times!

And last but not least, my new favorite project I've ever done in Warhammer: KNIGHTS OF MORR! I can't tell you how happy I am with these guys. They look huge, brutal, and gothic. Way better than our horse sculpts. I'm showing two of the five I've finished (in 2 nights, i just couldnt put them down) since the others don't stand without a base. A little more tricky than the other two conversions, lots of filing and scraping and cutting to remove the Chaos icons and spikes. Again, for the legs: Pistolier! Is there anything those legs can't do? I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the riders yet, I'll keep you all posted! They still need more empire bits and feathers to give them an empire feel but for anyone who wants to try their hand at a really neat looking unit go get a box of Chaos knights! I love them!