SageMonkey's Resurrection Project Log

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
SageMonkey
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: SageMonkey's Resurrection Project Log

Post by SageMonkey » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:12 am

Finished up the Old Hobbit this morning! Very quick paintjob, nice and relaxing. Obviously not a super high level of quality, but that wasn't really the point. Here he is:

I'm onto another personal project now! Going to be painting another Uruk Hai Berserker, this time a better casted one without all the bubbles and holes of that other terrible Finecast Uruk I painted. Going to be my first foray into Reaper MS paints. I'll be using the Dark Skintone triad with a bit of GW Dark Flesh mixed in to paint the skin. I'll probably start work on that tomorrow, but definitely sometime this coming week!

SageMonkey
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SageMonkey » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:06 pm

Painted up the basecoat on the Uruk's skin! Used too thin paint so this took me many more layers than I usually work with to get the paint to be opaque -_-. Typically I use pretty dilute paint to build my colours (or try to that is xD) but this was just ridiculous! Definitely won't thin the paint that much again haha! Here he is:

I like the colours the Reaper Paints have been giving me thus far. They dry very matte and even, even after the paint was so thinned lol. The dropper bottles are also a huge improvement over standard pop-tops and really make the job easier. Definitely will buy more when the time comes!!

I'm incredibly busy this week so I doubt I'll be able to get a ton of work done but I want to start building up the layers of skin tone on Thursday evening and possibly on Friday as I have a day off. This weekend is packed though so I doubt I'll get much done then.

Oh well, we'll see how the week plays out! Regardless, since I've started this project log I've gotten more painting done than ever before, which I'm very proud of! Hopefully I can keep this train rolling

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:38 am

Quick little update (unfortunately without sweet pics):

Gotten a bit of work done over the past few days on the Uruk. I'm slowly building the highlights using extremely thinned layers of paint. I'm very slowly changing the hue between mixes so hopefully the transition from dark to light is subtle. At this point though the highlights are not extremely apparent but I'm working on it! I'm hoping that over the next two days I'll be able to finish the skin highlights, and then I'll probably work on deepening the shading with a tiny bit of Necron Abyss mixed into the Reaper Dark Skin Shade, just to make everything pop a bit more.

I'll try and post some pictures either today or tomorrow!

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:42 am

I've been working a lot on the Uruk these past few days and I just wanted to post a very quick update. I have basically fully completed the skin and metal parts at this point, and now have all the other parts basecoated. I tried to do some TMM on the metal parts and while I think it looks decent for a first try on the helmet, the sword didn't work out as well as I would have liked. Oh well, live and learn! I'm definitely going to continue practicing this technique on some models with a bit more dynamic metal parts because the Uruk's sword (it's shape and position) doesn't seem to play well to the shading needed in the technique.

Here it is:

I also based and primed a few marines I had lying around from a couple of years ago which I'll be quickly painting up at my LGS sometime over the March Break.

That's all for now, cheers!

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:23 pm

No update, really wasn't feeling it today, if that makes any sense. I got a bit of painting done but I wasn't happy with it, so I'm going to redo it all tomorrow. Thankfully I didn't do a whole lot so it won't be a big issue.

Thought I'd just get some musings out there that I had today. I sort of realized that even though I'm very happy with the painting I did for the skin on this Uruk, I really hate the mini. Not only was the finecast full of holes and murky detail, but the mini itself is just bland and lifeless. The pose isn't all that dynamic, and there's no life to the miniature. It's literally 3 parts; Skin, Cloth and Metal. Not that miniatures need to be chock full of detail in every last corner (as a lot of other GW miniatures seem to be, which is equally bad) but none of the parts seem to have any cohesion. They don't make a fun miniature to paint, it just feels like work. There's no real life or sense of narration behind the miniature. It's just an evil dude with a big sword. Oh golly oh my, how amazing.

I have quite a few bland GW miniatures in my "pile" now that I look through it. I don't know what to do with them but I suppose I can try and sell them, because I'd rather be inspired to paint a miniature based on it's own merits and not simply to garner up some points or to get it out of the way. I'd feel terrible throwing away any of them so I guess selling them is my only option.

That's also not to say that all GW miniatures are bland or boring, not at all. I have quite a few very interesting and very intriguing GW minis in that pile as well, which I'm very excited to get to! It's just everything in between that seems more like it's going to be a boring monotonous slog rather than a fun time. Having some less than stellar miniatures to practice on is fine, and in fact I like to have some of those on hand, it just seems that my pile is about 90% boring minis and 10% fun ones.

Anyway, I'm going to finish this Uruk, post it on the gallery and then never paint another Uruk again. I have two more of those hole-filled finecast Uruks in my drawers and frankly I have no intentions of painting them. Once I'm done this guy, I'm going to move on to something fun :)

Adieu for now!

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Whelp, I finished the Uruk! Still need to work on my bases and adding contrast though, not super pleased with the base on this one and there's little to no contrast to be found. Oh well, I'm very happy with the skin and it was not only good practice overall but my first time practicing TMM!

These aren't the best pictures, but they're the best I have for now. They were taken inside my new homemade lightbox, and I think they look better than my other WIP shots but still not perfect. I need a good background image/colour as well as access to a better camera and lights, all of which I should be able to get my hands on later tonight. If I can then I'll take some Gallery shots and then post a link here afterwards.

Enough talk, here he is:

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:43 pm

Super quick update: No pictures of anything but just wanted to say: Mission aborted on those Space Marines because holy heck painting fully assembled plastic Space Marines is the worst thing of all time. No no double triple no. Never. So instead I've started up on some GW LoTR Ruffians. I can find any pictures online of the one I'm going to start on but for anyone that knows it's the portlier gentleman with the jug and bat resting on his shoulder. In my opinion it's the nicest in the set and it might be the only one I actually paint for display (sort of like how the Fat Hobbit was the only Hobbit I painted for display). It's got a lot of character, and it reminds me of the Cadwallon Thousand Paces Jailer miniature by Rackham (which, coincidentally, I actually have in my drawers somewhere).I'm also going to sculpt a small scenic base for him. I'm thinking of doing just some simple cobblestone tiles but regardless I want to make it nice, unlike my previous efforts.

Anyway that's all I had to say, I'll try and get those Uruk Gallery pictures sometime this week and will update on the Ruffian when I get some work done on it.

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:45 am

Once again, an update without pictures. Well, sort of. I've got a reference picture for myself of what I'm going to try and accomplish colour scheme wise with the Ruffian. I'm posting it here to see if any of you could give me some advice as how to achieve the kind of colours that the painter did on this version of the miniature (1st place): http://demonwinner.free.fr/germany/2011 ... ategorie=9

As far as work on the miniature goes on my end, I've prepped and pinned it to it's cork mount and will be priming it today. Probably won't have time to paint but we'll see. I also found a resin base at my local gaming store that I thought worked perfectly with the character of the miniature so I bought it and will be using that. This is the base: http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/deck- ... mm-x1.html

I'll try and get some shots up today, but I don't expect any Uruk Gallery pictures until this weekend!

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:52 pm

No painting yet but I finished cleaning up the mini and primed it. As a quick note, RMS Linen White applies incredibly well for a white paint. Best I've ever encountered. Even after thinning it about 1:3 paint to water it still applied incredibly smoothly. Very nice.

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:40 am

I think I'm done with the wood on the base, as far as I can tell. I'm gonna put a layer of glosscote on top and when the whole piece is done it'll all get dullcote which should bring the wood back down a tad. Still need to paint the metal handle and hinge on the base so I'll probably get that done today or tomorrow. Pretty happy with how the base came out overall. I've never really painted wood so I'm pleased with the results, but it also helped that these Enigma bases are incredibly well sculpted :D
C&C would be much appreciated!!!

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:53 am

That wood looks amazing! I love the detailed highlights you did on there! It puts my cannon and helblaster to shame :(
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:59 am

Arnathos wrote:That wood looks amazing! I love the detailed highlights you did on there! It puts my cannon and helblaster to shame :(
Thank you very much!! Haha honestly the sculpt of the base made the job much easier. Even the smallest line and crack and crevice has been sculpted in on this base, it's pretty crazy.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:22 am

I love those Enigma minis, I've been meaning to get some for a while.

Great paint, and nice to see you back! If interested, there is a motivational painting section http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=140 and quite a few of us have threads there.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Dez wrote:I love those Enigma minis, I've been meaning to get some for a while.

Great paint, and nice to see you back! If interested, there is a motivational painting section http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=140 and quite a few of us have threads there.
Thanks! And yeah I was thinking of doing a #weeklypaint, would it be possible to have this thread moved over there??

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Done!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!