SageMonkey's Resurrection Project Log

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
SageMonkey
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: SageMonkey's Resurrection Project Log

Post by SageMonkey » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:05 pm

No more work done on the Ruffian, but the Uruk is in the Gallery! Vote for it here http://www.coolminiornot.com/327378

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks!!

SageMonkey
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SageMonkey » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:31 pm

Been very busy this week so haven't had a lot of time to paint but I was able to get some done the last couple days and I've been working on basecoating the whole mini. That's sort of different from my usual method which is to finish one part completely and then move to the next but I think for this mini it would be beneficial to get all the base colors down right away especially seeing as I'm trying to work on contrast and really getting a nice color scheme together. I've basecoated the four main parts so far, that is to say the skin, the shirt, vest and pants. Next I'll be basecoating the rest of the details and the metal bits, lining everything and then cleaning it all up before I start working on each individual part to completion. I should be done all the basecoats by tomorrow night, and then I'll post some pictures here.

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:05 pm

It's taken me forever to get the basecoats done and cleaned up but I've finally got it. Been really busy so I've had almost no time to get a lot of painting done, which is why I'm only done the basecoats and have not posted in a while. Crappy photo but regardless here's the mini:

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Yet again, no photos, but I feel the need to check in and document what little progress I've made:

I've been working on the skin since the last time I posted, ie: a long time. I'm trying to get enough contrast and working to build deep shadows and bright highlights without sacrificing the blends and the realism of the skin tone. I think it looks okay thus far but I really am having trouble with establishing good contrast and making everything pop from a distance. So I still have to work on that, as well as paint the hair and eyebrows. Once that's all done I will get some pictures up, I promise.

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Your second Pic is broken for me, also in regards to the Uruks skin but if I remember from the movies isn't their skin more red tinted and greasy? However its a nice job for skin regardless.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Yeah I don't know what's going on with that. You can click it though and it works right? It works for me when I click it but it could just be because it's on my imageshack account.

And yeah in the movies they filled their helmets with blood and poured it on themselves. I could've accomplished that look with some inks but I dunno I really just wanted to test the Reaper MSP Dark Skin triad I got.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:46 pm

That should work. I tend to go to my images on imageshack and then click the share button and copy the [img] brackets link, you seem to have a thumbnail/link thing going on.

Looking good as always though! Can't wait to see the finished mini!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:15 pm

Arnathos wrote:
That should work. I tend to go to my images on imageshack and then click the share button and copy the [img] brackets link, you seem to have a thumbnail/link thing going on.

Looking good as always though! Can't wait to see the finished mini!
You are a trooper, good sir!

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Mon May 06, 2013 7:24 am

Still no pics (I'm so sorry) but just a quickie update;

Had the girlfriend over and showed her how to paint a Night Goblin from the BFSP set. She enjoyed it, so did I, and hers came out very nice for a first miniature. We painted our Gobbos in about 20 minutes total paint time and neither of us really focused on making them works of art. For me I was mostly just trying to see how quickly I could paint a tabletop quality rank and file miniature as I haven't done that in a loonggg time.

Basically after painting that fella I've decided that I'd like to start up a small 500 point Night Goblin army, just for fun. In preparation for this I've tweaked the paint scheme slightly and drawn inspiration from an example I found in an older GW How to Paint Citadel Miniatures book and I've begun painting 5 Gobbos assembly line style. That means that the Ruffian has taken a backseat at the moment but these Goblins shouldn't take long and once they're done I'll be back to work on that more for display piece.

I'll take some WIP shots of the Goblins tonight and hopefully will have them up here. I'll also grab a few shots of those original two Goblins my girlfriend and I painted, just to give an idea of how hers looked :).

Adios!

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 pm

As promised, pictures of the Gobbos. Remember that all these are meant to be seen from about arms length away in groups of 20 or more so up close they don't look that great. These are very speedy jobs and the quality is definitely not meant to be top notch, but they're still a blast to paint!

Here's what my girlfriend painted. For a first miniature I think it's pretty great:

And what I did:

Now for the rank of Goblins I'm currently working on. Here's them all together (just the cloaks are done):

Here's a close up of one of the Goblin's just to show how I'm painting the cloaks:

Like I said, not terribly high quality but they're a blast to paint, they're simple and I can churn out a lot of them in a decent amount of time this way. Also from arm's length away the contrast makes the little buggers pop, which is nice.

Anyway, I'll continue work on them and then post more progress shots as I go. Once I'm done this rank I'll continue work on the Ruffian until I get the money together to buy a new box of Gobbos.

Aurevoir!

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue May 07, 2013 9:29 am

Love the look of the gobbos.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)