SageMonkey's Resurrection Project Log

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
SageMonkey
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

SageMonkey's Resurrection Project Log

Post by SageMonkey » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:56 am

Wow. I have been off these forums for around 3 years at this point. That's also about as long as I have kind of let one of my oldest hobbies fall by the wayside. I haven't really done much of any painting in that time, but for some reason did still collect some minis (mostly old and rare Rackham OOPs). That means I have a surplus of old and some new minis just sitting it drawers that have not been touched.

A couple months ago I decided that I would get back into the hobby of painting (I don't really game at this point). I've been working on some super old projects that I've had lying around for 2+ years. I finished an Uruk I started 2 years ago, which I'll try and get pictures of (it's pretty low tabletop quality, I used it mostly to practice and relearn some brush skills) and am almost done a Space Marine scout that I started 3 years ago |(as a practice piece).

Anyway the point of this Log is accountability. If I'm going to get stuff done, I need a place to keep my work posted and motivate myself to try and paint AT LEAST once a week. I'm not setting any goals or timeframes in terms of finishing miniatures, but every time I start a new one I have to have a set goal in mind in terms of what I want to accomplish with the piece. At this point though just getting myself to paint once a week is enough of a goal. Once I've gotten some minis done and kept up with good consistency, then I'll bump my goals up a bit. For now, we're starting slow.

I'm starting with a clean slate here. I might as well be relearning how to paint. I haven't forgotten everything but my skills aren't where they used to be (and even then I wasn't really good).

Wish me luck!

SageMonkey
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: SageMonkey's Resurrection Project Log

Post by SageMonkey » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:00 am

Might as well post this as a new message in itself as this list will change hopefully often and I'd like to post every time I've started something new.

Mini I'm Working On: Space Marine Scout w/Shotgun
Goals For This Mini: Literally just to finish it but also to practice brush control and basic painting in general.
Colour Scheme: Started painting it as a Blood Raven, and I'll finish it that way. Won't do any Chapter logos though, that's a bit beyond my skill level right now.

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Here are some late WIP pics of the Space Marine Scout. I'll try and get higher quality finished pictures by the end of the week, along with pictures of the Uruk. Here you go:

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Finished the Scout, finally! It's obviously not a masterpiece and the work I did on it to finish it is sub-par seeing as I haven't painted in forever but I'm happy to have finished it after these years :D Didn't base it and also I didn't paint the eyebrows on. The face is sort of miscast in weird ways and frankly I don't feel comfortable painting tiny stuff like eyebrows at this point. Maybe I'll come back to it later.

I should have high quality pictures of it within the week, but for now here are some pictures of what I worked on tonight, as well as the finished Uruk from a week ago or so:

Should have high quality photos of that Uruk around the same time as the Scout.

Here's a hobbit (first of three) I'm working on now. My brother bought and put together a Hobbiton 3D puzzle and I'm painting these up for him :) My goals for this and the other Hobbits is to practice painting skin and faces and just generally working on brushwork. Also lining. I never practiced lining in the past and now I'm going to start. It's a pretty important skill and I realize it'll only make my minis look better.

Anyway, here's the work on the Hobbit I did tonight:

I'm going to try and get more done on the face now (try and make the cheeks a bit rosy with some glazes as well as the nose) because he looks a bit pale in my opinion. Tomorrow I'm going to work on his clothes :)

Thanks for looking!

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:44 am

Finished (for now) the pants on my Fat Lil' Hobbit Man-Child. Pretty happy with the "blend" (don't know if it really counts as being blended) but I notice that the highlights aren't as light as they seem when painting. This might be due to terrible lighting in my room/house other than under my painting lamp (I hope that's it) but I may have to go back and deepen the shadows/lighten the highlights. We'll see. Anyway here are those pictures of the Hobbit:

And here are some pics of the miniature line up I have on my desk:

^^ Two more Hobbits, another Finecast Uruk (the casting on the whole pack was really really terrible, not liking Finecast so far), a mangled Space Marine and a pack of LotR Ruffians.

Aaaaand here's a picture of my work area, just for the heck of it:

That's all for now folks, back to painting!

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:24 pm

More or less finished the coat now. I may deepen the shading later but for now I think it's fine. I'll try and do the hair and finish the eyes tonight, in which case the mini will be technically finished. Still not sure what I'm doing for the base though. I'm not entirely set on the blue of the coat right now, I think I may want to make it green instead but right now I think it's too soon to make that call. I'm going to let it be until I get back from NYC and then I'll make a judgement call. What do you guys think?

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:28 pm

It looks really good. Sorry I can't add more imput then that. I am horrible at Critque.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:02 pm

Finished pics of the Hobbit, Uruk and Scout in that order! I will be uploading these to the CMON Gallery very shortly, and will add the voting links afterwards :)

Hobbit:

Uruk:

Scout:

Thanks for looking :)

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Voting should be open soon! If you could pop by and leave a vote it'd be much appreciated :)

Hobbit: http://www.coolminiornot.com/324544

Scout: http://www.coolminiornot.com/324546

Uruk: http://www.coolminiornot.com/324545

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:37 am

Got some work done last night. Just did the skin and some of the basecoats. I'm going to do all the basecoats of the different parts of the mini and then highlight them one after the other. Once again, this and the other Hobbit are really not meant to be for up close display, mostly just to act as companion pieces to my brother's Hobbiton. They'll probably only be viewed from arms length if even that. Regardless they're going to be quick paintjobs, and for them I'm really just trying to practice brushwork and getting each colour on nice and neatly.

Enough talk, here are some WIP shots:

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Finished the horn hobbit today! Very basic paintjob but definitely a lot of fun to paint the little guy! Didn't take long but I'm happy with the results for the amount of effort and time I put in and frankly I think it looks okay nonetheless! Definitely good practice in terms of brush work and placing the paint neatly, so I can't complain. Any painting is good as it keeps me working and each miniature completed improves my skills somewhat, even if it's only at such a low standard as this.

Here are the pictures:

Going to start work on the second Hobbit and should have him done by the end of the week, just because I don't have a whole lot of time this week to paint. We'll see though! Working on the black coat is going to be an interesting experience as I don't paint black very often and it seems like a somewhat difficult shade to master. We'll see how it turns out!

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:47 am

If that is your low standard your high standard must be pretty breathtaking! Great work on the miatures so far, I'm loving the cloth on the hobbit mini's, it looks really smooth.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:58 am

Arnathos wrote:If that is your low standard your high standard must be pretty breathtaking! Great work on the miatures so far, I'm loving the cloth on the hobbit mini's, it looks really smooth.
Thanks very much :) ! Haha unfortunately at this stage my high standard is essentially what you see on the Fat Hobbit. Once I'm done the next Hobbit miniature at a similar standard to the one above, I'm going to go back to painting for myself and will definitely work on bumping the quality of my paintjobs.

And yeah cloth is one of those things I love and simultaneously hate to paint. The colours involved in (for example) the hobbits' shirts I very much enjoy painting and are decently easy to get right. That said things like the Fat Hobbit's pants are such large and open areas that highlighting and shading can be somewhat of a finicky process XD

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Whelp, I screwed up. Sort of. Kind of. In all honesty not really. I just put a pledge down for the Gnomish Adventurers Kickstarter campaign. Yep. I bought minis. Ooops. My pledge rewards are two sets of Gnomes and the KS Dwarven Troll. The thing is though, they'll only be arriving in August, which happens to coincide with my birthday. That coupled with the fact that the money I used was procured from sales, I'd say that overall I didn't really cheat on my system. Eh, regardless I'm not too worried about it. I've got to focus on painting, not worrying ;P

Speaking of which; I'm off to go finish all the basecoats on that Hobbit! Didn't have time to get too much work done last night and probably won't have time tomorrow so today, Thursday and then onwards through the weekend are to be my dedicated working days/evenings. Hope to have the whole mini done by Sunday evening

I'm off!

PS: One last tiny thing: If you haven't voted on the three minis I posted on the Gallery yet, please do! It'd be much appreciated and I'm only about 10 votes on each away from 50 on all of them! Here are the links:

Hobbit: http://www.coolminiornot.com/324544

Scout: http://www.coolminiornot.com/324546

Uruk: http://www.coolminiornot.com/324545

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Got all the basecoats done tonight. They're kind of dark in some areas, but I'll break it down nonetheless: Coat and Hat are black, Inside Lining of Coat is Thornwood Green (P3), Pants and Cane are Battlefield Brown (P3), Skin is Kislev Flesh (GW), Waistcoat will be red but is based Dark Flesh (GW). I haven't done anything on the hair as it will come last and the colors will be carefully applied so as to not mess with the other work. Thinking the hair will probably end up grey, but I'm still working on how I'll do that.

Anyway here are the pics: