Mike's #theweeklypaint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: Mike's #theweeklypaint

Post by Nappen » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:05 am

I am excited to see more. I never thought about paper mache. Are you going to do sand, as well?

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:31 am

It's getting harder to actually make out details with the paper mache on it... but I'm nearly there! I'll definitely be sanding the surface as well - maybe not all of it, but certainly large sections.

Incidentally, I want to run an elevated monorail line across the table... might have it broken and crashed down in one part... but I can't decide *where* to do it. Think I might move the ribcage to the front left panel, mount the dragon skull on the back left, and then run the monorail line relatively straight across the right two panels, back to front.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:57 am

Fairly ugly mockup of the terrain plans I mentioned in the last post... I'll have to move the ribcage to pull it off, and it's already glued down and mounted with toothpicks... hoping nothing breaks in the process.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:00 am

I think it would create more interest (for the eye) to have the monorail going at a diagonal across the table.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:26 am

Yeah, it won't be nearly as straight as I sketched it... might even have it do a bit of an S-bend.

Thinking more like this:

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:45 am

That's it!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:59 pm

My only concern with this layout is that it's putting more cover on one side than the other, and possibly making the hills on the left side hard to scale... but I think I'll add a pile of shipping crates or something to the far side to make up for the cover imbalance.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Considering something more like this:

Ends up being more symmetrical, so it doesn't grant either side an advantage. Is it less interesting though?

Dez

Post by Dez » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:32 pm

No that looks great. Keep dead Pacman in there too ;)

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:46 pm

No dead pacman, no go
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Oh the Skull is already about 80% complete... though it looks far less like Pac-man in real life ;)

FDARaptor
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by FDARaptor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:44 pm

Hahahaha lets see the Pac-man

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Ran with the inspiration and added the Monorail line last night. This is *not* a tank-friendly table... but I'm mostly intending it for skirmishes anyway.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Paper Mache on the gaming surface is basically done now. I may add a little more to get some dirt-clumping around the base of the monorail uprights and the fallen track sections.

Dez

Post by Dez » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:38 am

Looking really good. The mono rail and the skeleton really drag your eye across the table without getting lost.

Now just add Pacman ;)