Mike's #theweeklypaint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Mike's #theweeklypaint

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Got the first run of Inserts cast, installed and painted. There's a few bubbles in the mold so I'm going to be remaking it this weekend, but these were suitable enough for my own use. One of each sculpt shown, I've got 14 more made but not yet painted.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:19 am

very cool. What do you make the mold from and what are the made of? At first, was thinking the weight of a denal plaster would be too much, but for things like tippy termagaunts, the extra weight might be nice.

They are very DP looking, so I think it is mission success :)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:15 am

The mold is made from 2-part RTV (Room-Temperature Vulcanizing) Silicone, and the inserts are cast in a 2-part white resin. They're quite light, pretty much on-par with the weight of plastic minis.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:03 am

Very nice. I was going to get into casting myself, but I was worried about fumes especially with little ones around.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:00 am

Dez wrote:Very nice. I was going to get into casting myself, but I was worried about fumes especially with little ones around.
The casting resins I use are fume-free. The only aspect that generates a fume at all are the Mold Release Agents - one is needed to keep two halves of a silicone mold from sticking to each other (not needed with an open-face mold like I use for bases) and the other is the silicone-to-resin release agent, which I've found you really only need when a mold has deep undercuts that might cause parts of the silicone to get trapped by the resin.

So long story short, making bases like these doesn't produce any fumes.

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:00 am

I have done a little with the cheap two part silicone products (OOMOO-30). I have been using dental plaster. Very strong but very heavy.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:59 am

Colour Scheme test for my Dark Potential Corporation models. I wanted to go with a near-future Police look, so I incorporated exposed Carbon Fibre into the armour.

I think I need to embellish his weapon slightly, and maybe do something more with the vambrace on his left arm.... but otherwise, I'm quite happy with the results and I'm going to start applying this style to the rest of my Corp forces :D

FDARaptor
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by FDARaptor » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:34 pm

Yaaaa! Dark Potential!

Also love those bases!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks!

Sorry I haven't updated lately, lots of different work-in-progress but only one completed model... so here's a Photobarrage!

Big Blue, Drago captured by Cygnar.

Legion of Everblight Archangel, assembled.
Needs gap-filling yet, Shredder shown for scale.

Building my first Gaming Table!

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Great looking table!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks! It's got a long way to go yet, though! A few more skeletal parts, a couple small structures, lots of paper mache and then of course painting, flocking, water effects...

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:24 pm

That is a great idea for a table. Will it be more of a lakeside or desert theme?

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm taking a lot of inspiration for the table from Borderlands 2, to be honest. There's going to be a water feature on the left side, a waterfall rolling down the face of the cliff into the large pool below. The rest of it will be a mixture of fairly bare earth with grassy patches, and some rocky outcroppings.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:58 am

Can't wait to see it....and steal it....

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:03 am

Progress on the table: I've started detailing the foam work and adding some surface texture with paper mâché: