Mike's #theweeklypaint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Mike's #theweeklypaint

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:43 am

I ended up painting the battle damage and dirt on last night, stayed up until a little past Midnight doing so... and my phone battery died the instant I snapped the photo! So there's an impending update, but it'll have to wait 5 hours or so ;)

Incidentally, it's probably the best micropainting I've done to date. I can still see lots of room to improve, but I'm pretty happy with the results.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:55 am

So I spent most of last week battling a series of obstacles in my personal life, followed by a pretty brutal (but short-lived, thankfully) flu, I'm back to painting again! I'm pretty sure I ended up missing a week, I'll go back and check what dates I actually did stuff on later.

In the meantime... progress on my Tomb Spyder!

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:42 am

IT LIVES!!

Glad to hear things are clearing up for you Mike, I was wondering where you had went.

I love the purple Tomb Spider. I think it looks to clean though, are you going to make it weathered and oily looking? Maybe some mud on the legs?

I'm having a real hard time controlling my Gaming ADD, just picked up some Necrons and I love the idea of the Scarab Farm so I might pick a couple of these up ;)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 am

Let's just say I had a very BAD two weeks and leave it at that ;) Everything is turning around now though.

I doubt I'll be weathering this model at all - I'm trying to keep things fairly simple with my Necrons so I can paint them faster (which was somewhat defeated by the lightning technique, but I had to add *something*). I'm leaving the more detailed stuff for my Dark Eldar and Legion of Everblight models. I just figure my Necrons are very ostentatious and prissy ;)

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by wizardv12222 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:16 pm

That purple lightening looks great on the spider!
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:02 pm

The tomb spyder looks great, love the effect, how do you do that?

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks...that gets a bookmark :)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:54 pm

No painting or hobby-type things tonight, but with good reason; once a month I organize a gathering for PHP Developers in my area, and that took place tonight. Tomorrow night isn't looking much better, and Saturday I have a funeral and a fundraiser to attend... so it'll probably be 7PM Saturday before I get to pick up a paint brush. I'm kind of bummed, but such is life.

Upside, I picked up 400 points of Dark Potential Corporation models this week... so I'm going to prep them this weekend :D

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:01 am

So my weekend was busier than expected and I didn't get to hobby-ing until Sunday... so the bad news is, my Tomb Spyder remains unfinished.

The good news is, I'm almost done creating a new set of bases for the first time in ages!

These are 'Urban Overgrowth' 30mm inserts, designed for Dark Potential. They'll work just as well with other 30mm bases like Warmachine or Malifaux too, and oddly they're also the exact right size (22.5mm) to cap off a GW 25mm round base. Needless to say, discovering that coincidence has greatly streamlined my base design process in the future ;) Sadly I don't think there's a similar correlation between other base sizes so making larger ones (GW40mm, Lipped 40+50MM, etc) does become more tedious again.

Hoping to have the silicone mold for these setting tonight.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:39 am

Very cool, though a bit more wear and tear (cracked cement, etc) would be cool. Maybe a second set, with drainage and wotnot?
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:37 am

I'll be cracking the cement a bit more yet - I need to pick up some replacement Xacto blades on the way home tonight ;)

fluffyfen
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by fluffyfen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:12 pm

hey mike have you painted up any of the new chaos marine or DA stuff yet?
Bromanced to my Brosband - BewareOfTom

Pen gun, mightier than the sword. Sword gun, mightier than the pen gun.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:09 pm

I haven't even finished assembling my Dark Vengeance set yet. I've painted a *single* Chaos Chosen, testing a colour scheme, but that's been it.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:36 am

I added some detail and poured the silicone for the caps/inserts last night, but it hadn't cured yet before I went to bed so I haven't made a test casting yet. I'll be doing that tonight - hopefully there's no problems with the mold itself :)