Mike's #theweeklypaint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Mike's #theweeklypaint

Post by Dez » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:22 am

Without knowing how to fully explain myself, I think the bone needs more texture. Little crevices and cracks, perhaps a bit more variation (browns).

The rust looks good, but something bothers me still. Perhaps it needs some variation as well? Try some different browns, oranges and even a bit of gray (metal flakes) stippled on. Sharpen your brush, and put some variation into the black lining as well.

I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm trying to push you ;)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:29 am

Purple marines for the win!

And I can offer to constructive criticism because I suck being critical.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:13 pm

I'm intending to clean the purple up, but thanks for pointing it out :) Especially across the top crest, it's fairly blotchy. It's a little brighter than I'd like it to be I think, but I was going to wait until I get the model's body done before I decide whether to clean up the splotchiness by darkening the purple, or brighting the pink.

Good call on the rust. I may not change it on the helmet (this *is* just practice) but I'll keep it in mind going forward.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:16 pm

Dez wrote:Without knowing how to fully explain myself, I think the bone needs more texture. Little crevices and cracks, perhaps a bit more variation (browns).

The rust looks good, but something bothers me still. Perhaps it needs some variation as well? Try some different browns, oranges and even a bit of gray (metal flakes) stippled on. Sharpen your brush, and put some variation into the black lining as well.

I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm trying to push you ;)
There's actually a fair bit more variation to the bone than the image lets on - the quick cell phone snap is rather overexposed ;) But a few cracks or other small details wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm glad you mentioned stippling the rust, because the idea actually crossed my mind last night... having it confirmed is valuable!

Please, continue to push!! This is great.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:42 pm

Sat down after work to begin painting the body of this model (or at least, a component of it). Got most of the tunic done, but my blends started arguing with me. Decided to step away from it for a night or two. I'll either load up a game and shoot things, or get some work done on the ED site again (SO very behind on that... uggh)

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by wizardv12222 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:04 pm

So many hobbies / projects so little time, right Mike?
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 pm

wizardv12222 wrote:So many hobbies / projects so little time, right Mike?
Damn right. Pretty sure I'd still be lagging behind if there were 2 of me.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:29 am

Think I'm going to grab a few spare Space Marine helmets from my bits box and paint them first, prior to working on the body of the Dark Angels Chaplain. They're good little practice pieces laden with tiny detail, and with lots of space for freehanding detail like battle damage. Practicing the same techniques repeatedly seems like a better idea right now than actually completing models.... which is kind of insane sounding, now that I've typed it.

"Gee Mike, you only have a few HUNDRED unpainted models... let's practice repeatedly on bits!"

Maybe I'll try and paint individual models between practice helmets.

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:15 am

id say a great way to practice slow gradient is to do organic models, because u cant just drybrush blend it to make it look good, u gotta like spend time on it
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:17 am

No harm in practicing techniques. That way you don't have to strip the model later.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:52 am

Oceangrave0 wrote:id say a great way to practice slow gradient is to do organic models, because u cant just drybrush blend it to make it look good, u gotta like spend time on it
"Drybrush blend" and "look good" don't really belong in the same sentence ;) I've been either using glazing, or two-brush blending almost exclusively.

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:00 am

Epic Duck Mike wrote:
Oceangrave0 wrote:id say a great way to practice slow gradient is to do organic models, because u cant just drybrush blend it to make it look good, u gotta like spend time on it
"Drybrush blend" and "look good" don't really belong in the same sentence ;) I've been either using glazing, or two-brush blending almost exclusively.
i drybrush alot of my space marine blending because i found a way to make it work, looks pretty good and rough like i want my marines to look and i know more people that do it that way, i did blend them by hand a while ago, but well, never got into the massssssiiiiiivvvvvveeee time dump into a unit of 10 cuz i am a bit of a slow painter when it comes to blending
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:04 am

Oh, don't get me wrong, there's a time and a place for drybrushing, it's a time-honoured, time-saving technique. It's just not something I'd do on a competition piece - or practice therefor :)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 pm

The beginning of my first practice helmet. The photo is a little overexposed so it's not exactly clear, but the shadows actually have a slight brown tint to them that looks pretty great.

Ignore the colossal mess that is the round doo-dad on the side of the helmet... this one was *badly* misaligned in the mold and I had to really file and hack at that piece to make it look even slightly presentable... so it kind of looks like crap. The grill in the front of this helmet is a disaster too, so I'll probably just ignore it... might be why this helmet was still in my bits box and never made it onto a model ;)

Next, I'll be adding some weathering to the helm... probably not until Friday night, though.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:21 am

Can't wait to see it finished. Almost makes me want to pick up marines :)