GB 41 - Propylaeum Tripartite - Tri-Portal - Completed

This month's theme: entry/exit
IG_Guardsman
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

GB 41 - Propylaeum Tripartite - Tri-Portal - Completed

Post by IG_Guardsman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:05 am

At the beginning of the month when the topic became known I wasn't sure what to do, but after Nappen's comment - "I figure anything with a door would work." I knew what I wanted to make!

A month ago I have just finished reading Dan Abnett's - Ravenor Omnibus. In the third part of the series - Ravenor Rogue, Ravenor looks for answers in a Wych House and finds an interesting object.
I'm tempted to quote the whole page and a half where the door appears, but it will be too much- if it won't brake any rules though I might quote it later for reference. Here are some parts of it though.

"The open space of the platform was empty apart from a single object: a half-open door, held
upright in the centre of the platform by its frame. The door was old and made of wood, a very
ordinary old door in a very ordinary frame."

"“A propylaeum tripartite?” Thonius ventured, speaking in hushed tones. “A… tri-portal?”"

"“A three-way door.” Carl Thonius corrected with a disdainful look at the heavy bounty-man. “A
mythical device of augury and divination. Its manner of function has never been explained, not even
in psionic terms, though it may simply be a totem for psychic focus. An elaborate fetish.”
“How does it work?” asked Kys. “I mean… in what way does it work?”
“It has one side here,” said Thonius.
“And a second here,” said Ballack, from the other side of the door. “But if one passes through
the door…” Ballack hesitated. Neither he nor Thonius showed any willingness to perform that act."
“Well, Kys, it is said that one finds a third side. A third way. The door transports the subject to
another location in space-time entirely, a site where the answer to a specific question of augury may
be learned.”

I'll make the door mostly out of cardboard and paper. My ideas is to make 2 bases- one like in the book where they see the door for the first time, and a second one - sand/earth one where probably the door appears after being used.

As I want the door to be interchangeable I'll glue a small magnet to the bottom, hence the metal coils on the bases.

Used the bunker door for size reference to make a template and have something to start with.

The first part of the door and the frame are cut and ready to start layering some board ( thick card) and see how it comes together.

Another part of the door frame - smaller so the door opens only to one side.

Hinges - pretty small things... especially if you have thick fingers...

Let's hope I'll manage to get it finished!
Last edited by IG_Guardsman on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: GB 41 - Propylaeum Tripartite - Tri-Portal

Post by Nappen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:28 am

Sounds cool, and playable in a game. Teleport across the board...makes for interesting tactical challenge :)

Can't wait to see it and a perfect take on the challenge.

IG_Guardsman
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by IG_Guardsman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:42 am

I was thinking of a way to use it in a game. As it is a psychic device it can be operated better if the squad has a psyker - he will be granted with a better chance to choose the location of the teleporting, but also can be send to hell. In the book it is described and used like that later on. The scatter dice comes handy here if the psyker fails to "program" the door.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:40 am

I am soooo stealing this idea :)

IG_Guardsman
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by IG_Guardsman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:22 pm

All the credit goes to Dan Abnett :) I'm just trying to visualize that amazing artifact, which btw in the end saved not only the inquisitor Ravenor and what was left of his band, but also the Imperium!

Tomorrow I'll have some more pics with the progress.

IG_Guardsman
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by IG_Guardsman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:26 am

A couple of layers of card later...

Still some details to add- the handle and some other tiny things, before painting it.

I was wondering whether someone has experience with spray priming paper- does it warp/deform or if it's thick enough it won't affect the shape?

IG_Guardsman
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by IG_Guardsman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:10 pm

And here is the finished Propylaeum Tripartite or Tri-porta!
I made two separate interchangeable bases for when the portal is used and moves from one location to another.

Here is the tri-portal after it has been used and appears on an different place.

The key is a crucial detail- without it the door wouldn't work.

The other side of the tri0portal.

The two bases with the tri-portal.

imperialork3
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: GB 41 - Propylaeum Tripartite - Tri-Portal - Completed

Post by imperialork3 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:25 pm

thats a wicked idea, that door is almost perfect
"Someone who is smart learns from their mistakes, but the smarter man learns from the mistakes of others"

IG_Guardsman
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by IG_Guardsman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:16 am

grail2oblivion
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by grail2oblivion » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:55 pm

Almost??
"We rule through technology"

IG_Guardsman
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by IG_Guardsman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:02 am

Is it - almost - agree, or almost- disagree?

I think it could be better. I'll try different materials and hopefully things will be even better!

Return to “Group Build 41”