Group Build 41: End of the Road(Complete)

This month's theme: entry/exit
Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Group Build 41: End of the Road(Complete)

Post by Nappen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:25 am

So, when I was thinking about this one, I decided I wanted something to match the Lava Field board I started this New Years. I have an "Island" surround by lava in one corner of the board (well, it will be anyway) and I want different peices to put there depending on what game we are playing.

One of the things I wanted was a volcano like object, but most important, it also had to have playable surfaces for use in the games. Then I started thinking about the games we play and that we are just starting the Hobbit and LOTR and it struck me to do an interpretation of a mount doom like volcano but with places to put models and use it in the game.

So here is what I have so far. It is really a fly by the seat of your pants event since it has to fit on the "island," have playable surfaces and have an entry or exit :) I don't usually do very large scenery so this should prove interesting :)

Here is the intial glue up in the shape of the island. You can see that when I drew my original door, I actually had it upside down and didn't figure it out until I did one last dry fit on the island before glue up :oops:

As I was texturing the sides I started pulling one layer off and had to reglue :oops:

Here is where it stands now.
ImageImage

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: Group Build 41: End of the Road

Post by A Luna » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:46 am

cool, but dangerous.
fumes = no good.
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:52 am

Here is where it will go on my lava board

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:19 am

i'd say more depth and textures. It looks to me like some frosted cake. I don't want to put you off, but if the texture is already in doubt before painting, i'm hard-headed that the painting will fix any doubts.

Sorry that I'm harsh, but this mountain is still too straight in any way. The top is flat, the sides are flat, it's still sort of a cube.
HEre's some inspiration on how things look like. There never any repeated sequence in the rock, unless it was manufactured by humans/machines. Sorry for the harsh critics, just felt this build could use it before you had actually primed it and stuff ;)

https://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&neww ... 0QX3-YG4Ag

https://www.google.nl/search?um=1&hl=nl ... WRGSsfnBl8

https://www.google.nl/search?um=1&hl=nl ... LrcyhZT8tU
Smile!

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:33 am

Agree with the straight up and down. I am stuck within the constraints of where it has to fit and mini bases have to have a place to stand.

I appreciate the comments and I have been thinking the same, just not sure how to make both work together :?:

Oh and the front won't get surfaced until after I make a door, so the front is still completely straight because I haven't done anything yet.

It is long from done though, but not sure I can get it done in time :cry:

genso6
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by genso6 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:31 pm

One simple way to add texture before you spackle/plaster the exterior is to take a hobby knife, stick the blade a centimeter or so into the side of the rock face, and "pop" out a little foam chunk!

Do this numerous times with different sized depths and you create a nice natural rock wall
You can even collect the little foam balls up and glue them in a pile, or to add another layer of detail to the side of your cliff. Looks good so far otherwise
Fantasy
Throng of Karak Hirn: 1750 points
Men of the Ostermark: 2000 points
Orcs: 2000 points
Tzeentch WoC: 1500 points

Space Wolves: 2000 points
The Irongrad Renegade Alliance: 1250
Mordian 81st: 1000 points
Orks: 1250 points

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:08 am

I have made the space for the door and done the surfacing on the front, but am out of town so won't be able to take pics for a while. It will be a race to finish it when i get home :)

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:35 am

So a bit of progress, hope to finish it up this weekend...yeah right...

ImageImage

And here is the board it is going to match with. It is cut to fit the little island in the top left panel of the board. I won't finish the board this weekend :(

tinker
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by tinker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 am

The board looks good, I especially like the cracks coming off the "river". I am assuming that you are going to make it filled with lava. Please post pics of the board on the main terrain forum so we can see how you finish it. I have been thinking about a lava board and have been looking for inspiration.

As for the GB piece I am looking forward to seeing it with some dry brushing and some more details.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:34 am

I have been posting the progress in my terrain WIP thread, same one I did my modular hills in. Just finished the last drybrush. Next is the lava. Will def get the volcano done this weekend.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:25 pm

Project Complete...finally. Did the whole game board :) I will try to take some better pictures , but want to get these up just in case..

A Luna
Gold Vault Member

Re: Group Build 41: End of the Road(Complete)

Post by A Luna » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:19 am

Cooooolll

Those light effects are awesome. Even though the terrain piece is 'suddenly-rock' with walls going straight up, it works for me! It's like a magical rock that appeared with a portal to the inner-whatever. Nice job. That thing is awesome.
Smile!

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:50 am

Thanks,

My thought was to use it primarily when we use the board for LOTR. But it matches my DE bases and will work for a deathworld in a campaign. It isn't attached to the board, so for a deathworld it can be set aside or replaced with something else.

When I originally sat down with it, I was going to do less of a cliff and more of a mountain, but the base would have had to have been just too big to be usable on the board. And since I move again in 6 months, it has to be modular. One day I can build some giant permenant boards :)

tack4
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by tack4 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:46 am

awesome job Nappen.

really love the lighting effects , feels as though you would burn to a crisp should you fall.

need welders gloves to open the door hehe or Gandalf to cast a spell.

ps be careful wher you park lol

Return to “Group Build 41”