Group Build 41 Entry/Exit-Voting Thread!

This month's theme: entry/exit

GB 41: Entry Exit Vote

Poll ended at Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:38 pm

camsmclean
No votes
Nappen
33%
Lupusj
No votes
Wizardv12222
No votes
Tinker
43%
IG_Guardsman
24%

Total votes: 21

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Group Build 41 Entry/Exit-Voting Thread!

Post by Nappen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:38 pm

Welcome to the voting thread for this month's group build. The theme was entry/exit.

Happy Voting!

camsmclean:Everyone Exits

Nappen:End of the Road

Lupusj:Industrial Discharge

Wizardv12222:Industrial vent
ImageImage

Tinker: Ork Gate

IG_Guardsman:propylaeum tripartite-tri-portal

Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Group Build 41 Entry/Exit-Voting Thread!

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:03 am

Nappen, your stuff is always awesome but I think that Tinker fits the theme better. Vote to him!
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

tinker
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by tinker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:54 am

Thanks Nexus_Crawler!
After posting the pics I realized they are a little out of focus. I posted more in my Original Thread.

Thanks for taking the time to look at the GB submissions. Please leave comments; I helps us build better stuff!

tinker
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by tinker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:45 am

camsmclean:Everyone Exits
This entry made me smile! Very tongue-in-cheek. I think you should use it for an objective maker in a huge Apocalypse battle.

Nappen:End of the Road
I like the monochromatic aspect for the rock portions of the piece. The black background with a simple grey drybrush really makes the lava sections pop! The object source lighting is nicely executed. I am not so sure about the over all shape of the volcano. I would have liked a more conical shape and less "boulder like" structure.

Lupusj:Industrial Discharge
I like the way you recycled materials to make this piece. It is always a challenge to re-purpose items for terrain. I don't like when I can look at a piece and tell it was made from a soda can, coffee can lid, and an old take out container. That was not the case with your build. I can't tell what the pieces were originally. My only suggestion is to take a little more time when painting your terrain. I can tell from the mini in the picture that you have skills with a brush.
On a side note: I like the shot with the terrain reflecting on the glass tabletop.

Wizardv12222:Industrial vent
Old computer fans are one of my new favorite terrain ingredients. I went to a local computer repair guy and he sold me a whole pile of broken fans for $0.50 each.
Anyway, I like how you made the base match the diameter of tube and fan. It has a very clean look to it. The panels on the sides look cool and the rust on the fan blades was nicely applied. A little more detail would have been the icing on the cake for me! Something covering up the loops on the fan cover would have been great. I would like to have seen the same level of attention you gave the fan rust placed on the tubular part of the terrain. Overall, it is a nice piece.

IG_Guardsman:propylaeum tripartite-tri-portal
I like how you took an ideal from a BL book and made a model. I might need to check out that read, so far I have been a little disappointed in the books I have read from the BL.
My favorite part of your piece is the hinges. Very nice level of detail and it looks like they are functional. The door frame is perfect and I like the base. The rivets seems a little large for the scale and I would have liked a wooden door with a light drybrush to bring out the wood grain. I like the level of detail you put into this piece. I can tell you put some time into it.

Thanks for all the entries. I always have fun with these GBs, especially when there are a lot of participants. If you guys would take time to leave a little feedback on my Ork Gate, I would greatly appreciate it. I am now off to the thrift store to find some interesting "Old Toys"!

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 am

Great stuff everyone, terrain is something I need to get into doing more of. I like to stop in and see what you've done.

While I'm Orky at heart, I'm a sucker for OSL especially when lava is involved. Nappen I loved the stairs and door, as well as the pool. Great detailing.

Tinker you did a bang up job as well. My only gripe is that I feel Proppa Boyz would have riveted on some looted armor plates. While aesthetically pleasing, I feel that it would only be tuff enough for a Snotling Pen ;) The painting looks good, I especially loved the way you did the wood.

LupusJ...did you rush this, like I did my Deathmatch entry? ;) I agree with Tinker, that we know you have better painting skills. I think some more detail in the build would have made it better as well, though you did a superb job of masking your found objects.

camsclean friggin' hilarious, and very Nurgle ;)

Wizard, you make me lament throwing away all the computer parts I'd been stockpiling for terrain the past 10+ years. That said, I'm kinda glad to not have that stuff hanging around and laughing at me for never getting around to it. Great work, LED's and a working fan would have put this build over the top.

IG Guardsman nice objective! I think you should have stippled on some reds and oranges to the door frame, just to make it pop more. It would have given it a nice rusty aspect, and helped it pop more.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

lupusj
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by lupusj » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:35 am

Good set of entries (except perhaps mine).

I voted for Nappen because I loved the final effect. My 6yr old son took one look at it and said "wow, that place is dangerous". Tinker's gate was a close second, and I did like the detail on the Tripartite potral, but it wasn't as eye/attention grabbing as Nappen's.

As observed, my entry was a touch rushed - I finished off the Deathmatch entry (which wasn't rushed) then did the GB in an evening before moving house. That being said, I don't have a lot of patience with painting terrain.
Check out my blog - http://lupusj.wordpress.com

IG_Guardsman
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by IG_Guardsman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks for the comments!

Tinker - I've been reading Dan Abnett's novels, actually he is the one that is to "blame" for getting me started with Warhammer 40K in the first place, when I read Ravenor Returned couple of years ago. After that I went through the Gaunt's Ghosts series and now I'm reading the Inquisitor novels, hence the idea.

The hinges are functional, and actually took a lot of time- tiny details, cutting the pins to size and the tiny strips of card- the whole door (apart from the pin elements - the hinge piece, and the doorhandles, the key is from a staple) is made of different thickness of paper and cardboard. The only problem with the door being made of card is that it will wear out if the door is closed and opened a lot. As for the rivets- that's the smallest I could cut with the puncher I have. The scale of the door was a problem also - 4.5 cm by 3.5cm - the outside size of the door frame. The texture level was the best I could get from the paper. I don't have any supply of balsa wood at the moment, and again the size stopped me from using a wooden piece I have- to small for the precise cutting. Still I'm happy with how it came together.

Dez, the door is described in the book as "old wooden door with a frame". I put some rust effects on the metal grill on one of the bases, but didn't dare put some on the hinges- too small to make and won't matter much - they're like 6 mm. I wish I could have made the wood realistic, but... that's as much as it goes with card.

It was fun and I definitely think about taking part in the next GBs! Good luck to everyone!!!

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments.

For mine, I did look originally at doing a more conical shape-but function finally won over form. It had to fit the space on the board, had to be playable and I wanted an area for a campsite and places to stand around the top, there just wasn't room. It will primarily be for LOTR games, which my son and I are just starting. Sort of a combination of the gate to the mines of moria and mount doom all wrapped up together. As I made it, I tried to picture some hobbits sitting around the door and then gollum sneaking out the top stairs to look down on them :) I also wanted it to be portable: It is not attached to the board, but fits the island in the lava there, so it can be placed other places or not used if it is not theme appropriate, but when used the base is the same shape as the island.

And LupusJ: that was what I was going for :) what a great compliment.
Yours did look a bit hurried, but I never thought to do smokestacks that way.

Cams: Yours is just plain hysterical. I love it.

Wizard: already told you I love the fan. The weathering is perfect

Tinker: Love the face on the gate and the overall size and feel. Only thing is that, as weird as it sounds, it is almost too clean for an ork gate. Something should be broken and dirty.

IG: most amazing thing about yours is that the door works. I am still stealing the idea :)

tinker
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by tinker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:46 am

That is cool that you are able to play LOTR with your son. Wargamming has offered my son and I a chance to spend time together as well. He is getting older, middle school age, and sometimes I still catch him moving the minis around and making explosion and dakka dakka sounds when he think no one is looking. I think it is cool that he is still using his imagination when playing. He is working on his first build, an ork trukk. I am trying to convince him to post pics.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm

mine is a freshman in high school, so getting harder to keep his attention.

lupusj
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by lupusj » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:05 am

Nappen wrote:mine is a freshman in high school, so getting harder to keep his attention.
Mine's five. When he grows up he wants to kill monsters with a gun. I'm looking forward to him being old enough to understand the rules.
Check out my blog - http://lupusj.wordpress.com

tinker
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by tinker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:31 pm

lupusj wrote:
Nappen wrote:mine is a freshman in high school, so getting harder to keep his attention.
Mine's five. When he grows up he wants to kill monsters with a gun. I'm looking forward to him being old enough to understand the rules.
I found an old copy of Hero Quest at a yard sale. It was a simplified D&D made by Milton Bradley, I think. It was something I played as a kid. My son still likes playing it. After that it was Risk.

Xaz
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Xaz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Hero quest was awesome. I recently found the figures and chests from that game in a box that I hadn't opened in 15 years.
Orks 5680

Necrons 3170

Space Marines 2100

Return to “Group Build 41”