GB 38-Something old, something new: COMPLETE

This month's theme is Artifact
Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

GB 38-Something old, something new: COMPLETE

Post by Nappen » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Not 100% sure where I am going yet, but have gotten started and know the general feel. I wanted to try out some hirst molds I got and will work them in. It is going to be the ultimate cliche, but WH40k style :) I had an 8 inch ring but decided that it was just too big for the "artifact" so went with a smaller one.

Here is my mess making mold fun...Thanks to Sebell for the help :wink:
Here is the start of my well or fountain, not sure yet which...I was trying to decide between the higher and lower walls, and the molding that is next to the shorter wall. Decided to go with the higher wall. Glue is drying now.

respect92
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Re: GB 38-Something old, something new

Post by respect92 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:55 pm

looks good and looks fun to do.
Please nerf damage of GW-prized minis.
Best regards the Wallet

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:04 pm

I decided that it needed a bit of a base, so took a scrap of foam I had laying around, sanded it and glued the well on it.

Sebell
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Sebell » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:38 pm

Looks like your casts are turning our great, told ya it wasn't too hard =P
Raven Guard: 2000 and growing
Painting eyes are the bane of my existence.

I think she missed her calling, she should have been a sister of battle. - Avitus

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:42 am

No pic yet, but did get it primed last night. Now to assemble and paint....or paint and then assemble...that is the question...

DracoAvian
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Perhaps a little of both? :P Can't wait to see it!
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:27 am

Made a little progress this weekend. Idea is starting to come together for me.

DracoAvian

Post by DracoAvian » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:27 pm

oh, cool! I was wondering what your next step was going to look like. Are the dome pieces also casts?
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:20 am

They are. They are parts of a dome roof, but I didn't think a full dome would have the feel I was looking for. I got a little farther last night and painted the rocks:)

DracoAvian

Post by DracoAvian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:13 pm

Are each of those dome segments 2 part casts? It looks like there are a few mold lines to fill. I suppose you could distress them instead of filling them for an older look. I've never used plaster casts before though :P I'm curious as to how well they work.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:37 pm

They are two parts. I looked at it like building blocks. No reason it could not have been built in two peices like the bricks-at least that is my thinking anyway. :D
So far it has been pretty easy to work with, though I used hydrocal and it is pretty brittle. In the future, I think I will use a different material.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Aaaarghh, went out to do the next step and there must have been a hole somewhere in the build and half the "fake water" ran out. Now there is a pretty cool water effect on some of the grass now, but I hope that it will dry and fill whatever holes it escaped through. Will wait until tomorrow before putting any more in...

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Next step done, but the water is not hardening. Will wait until tomorrow, then figure out if there is something else I can do.
ImageImage

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by bugbait_nz » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:31 am

Looking good.
Two things, are you going for an old abandoned look? if so then a wash to darken the stone work would be good. IMHO.
The light colour of the path to the well looks like solid colour in some areas, Im wondering it you could stipple on a darker colour to give it some texture.
My 2c

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:10 am

Good call on the path. One of those things you don't see until you take a picture.

I actually was not going for an old look. The artifact keeps it young and cared for, despite being ancient the power keeps the place looking new. Not sure how you can make that come out in the build though :(

Return to “Group Build 38”