GB 38- Mystical Excavation - Completed

This month's theme is Artifact
wanna993
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

GB 38- Mystical Excavation - Completed

Post by wanna993 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:41 pm

So I stumbled on this build just now and the first thing that popped into my mind is a huge excavation site, where they find the remains of some weird structure still half buried

I need to finish some things before I can get started but here's an idea of where this is headed:

Last edited by wanna993 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: GB 38- Mystical Excavation

Post by Nappen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Can't wait to see it fleshed out.

wanna993
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by wanna993 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:19 am

WIP of a new project. It's a contest with the theme artefact.
I wanna be totally unoriginal and make a big excavation site where they dig an long lost eldar webgate. It probably doesn't make sense with WH lore but it's mostly for fun.

Help me decide which design I pick. There's gonna 4, half dug up, 1 or 2 broken. They will have the same design with slightly different details (thus me only picking one).

I'll probably use the others to make webgates someday...

Frozt
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Frozt » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:35 pm

Actually, webway gates have been buried before. Not to spoil too much in one of the BL books, there is a webway gate that was buried to stop the Dark Eldar from using it.
VC w1/L0/T0
Orks w3/L1/T1 (darn weedy gitz *lost to eldar*)

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by bugbait_nz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:20 am

I like the top right one, but the tip might be too fragile?
What material wil it be made from?

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:13 am

I have to agree-top right

wanna993
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by wanna993 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:10 pm

Frozt wrote:Actually, webway gates have been buried before. Not to spoil too much in one of the BL books, there is a webway gate that was buried to stop the Dark Eldar from using it.
Yeah but in my case dwarves fall upon the gate. So it's 40k meets battle
bugbait_nz wrote:I like the top right one, but the tip might be too fragile?
What material wil it be made from?
Trying with the foam you find in foam board at the moment
Nappen wrote:I have to agree-top right
Top right it is!

Sooo, the excavation project has officially started. I thought I could try my best and have sort of a tutorial by having a lot of step by steps too have a feel of my workflow for this project.

Getting the overall layout of the piece. Where everything will end up:

I then start tackling the mountain side. Lots of foam uncarved:

Once carved you get this:

Then I'm starting with all the levels going down. Starting with the bottom one:

I then move on the the next ones:

I originally had only 4, but quickly realized I needed more levels, so here's the final result, with the half buried eldar wings:

imperialork3

Post by imperialork3 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:59 am

Looks really awesome so far can't wait to see it finished
"Someone who is smart learns from their mistakes, but the smarter man learns from the mistakes of others"

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:58 pm

this is proving to be quite interesting. Please proceed :)
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

wanna993
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by wanna993 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:24 am

A Luna wrote:this is proving to be quite interesting. Please proceed :)
Thanks!
imperialork3 wrote:Looks really awesome so far can't wait to see it finished
Thanks

Sooo I've got a big announcement to make. I've started my new studies which means I have a lot less time for terrain now ( in addition to starting to run 1hr a day+ other sports again). So no more full time terrain making. Makes me cry a bit inside but I knew it was coming.
For those curious, I'm studying germanic languages (dutch+english) to become a teacher. But considering my current end goal has things to do with terrain I'm not stopping anytime soon with that.

Without further ado, I'll say what I've done recently with the project.

So as I finished the main structure I had to start and detail it. SO I've done that the last 3 days.
Starting at the bottom

Here's how I do my support structures

Slowly I move up

Add the second "floor" there

Up to the top!

General view of the thing right now (better quality than previous too)

Close up of the top:

What's left to do:
-add the diagonal support beams for the upper level (they support the levels and lean against the mountain side)
-get the dirt texture on the ground floor
-do the lader for the 2 storey level and cut a hole in the 2nd storey.
-Add all the details that will "pull the dirt" up, like levels, ropes and things that could possibly bring the stuff that's being dug to the top
-Add the eldar wings, detail them and allow them to have a balance system
-flesh out the mountain, give texture to the sides that have been cut for the convenience of the excavation
-Put layers of filler on the mountain the give it the required texture
-add smaller details like barrels, bags, tables, boxes (using molds and the like [1st I'll be doing that])
-Paint it all up
-stuff I forgot (help me out here)

I'm also hesitating with what I should be doing on the highest levels (which is flat atm).
I'm thinking I should build a wooden structure kinda like an outpost sort of thing. Yes? no?

See you all soon

eNi
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by eNi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:56 pm

Looks awesome man!
My grounds. Where screams are flowers, and pain their fragrance
-Are any of these people available for questioning?
-Not unless you want to stick your head down a tyranid's throat and shout "anyone at home?"

Work In Progress

imperialork3

Post by imperialork3 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:29 am

This is going to be awesome

On an off topic note has anyone noticed there is no quick reply at the bottom of this thread
"Someone who is smart learns from their mistakes, but the smarter man learns from the mistakes of others"

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:03 pm

coming along really well. Can't wait to see it finished.

Sniperfex
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Sniperfex » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:31 pm

*censored word* me, that is *censored word* amazing! :shock:

I think more than my mind was blown
"Do you really want to waste your time
Wake up and live your life
I want to be your chemical ride"

Sniperfex, ruining people's hopes and dreams since 1993

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:35 pm

This is amazing what a cool idea man can't wait to see it finished. Also so you said Dwarves so is this fantasy scenery?
You have just blown my mind friend keep up the good work.
also i also notice there is no quick response...
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Return to “Group Build 38”