It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:46 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries
Ok, so I figure I have dipped my toes in a few group builds, this go around, I am really taking a plunge.

I am building a center piece for my freshly painted Chaos Army, and thus I thought a twist on terrain.

Building a sacrificial altar for a shrine of Chaos. It will eventually connect up to a few different sets of crystal groupings. I just got my hands on a foam cutter, so I am really trying to flex my foam skills and already it has been a huge learning experience.

So far:

Crystal groups:

To come:

Filler/sand
Runes
Chains

Last edited by swedishchef on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:28 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
This is a great start! Looking forward to seeing this one to completion.

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee
Latest video, 3000 batrep, IG vs BA escalation rules!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:28 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries
Looks good, will we see lava or blood between the paving stones?

Something like this maybe? (not my work sadly)

Im wondering if it would be worth your effort to put a bamboo skewer down the center of each rock column to make it clumsy gamer proof?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:00 am 
Gold Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
sweet. You can see you've already put a lot of effort in this, keep it up.

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:01 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries
bugbait_nz wrote:
Looks good, will we see lava or blood between the paving stones?

Something like this maybe? (not my work sadly)

Im wondering if it would be worth your effort to put a bamboo skewer down the center of each rock column to make it clumsy gamer proof?

The actual altar will be very violent looking. I have an idea of stuff between the runes, but I am not going to talk about it just yet.

I haven't decided on the final placement for the columns yet, but it will be secured just for that purpose. I haven't decided if I wanted to use skewers, or base the columns with a thick rune piece that would fit snugly, in order to add to the modular nature of most of my pieces, but I think I want them to be removable fairly easily.

Appreciate the positive comments, before I would post a nearly complete project, so feedback felt like "aww you coulda done this better if..." so I really want to take the time to get your input this go around and make it constructive criticism.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:49 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries
swedishchef wrote:
before I would post a nearly complete project, so feedback felt like "aww you coulda done this better if..." so I really want to take the time to get your input this go around and make it constructive criticism.

If you give us the chance to see the WIPs we can provide feedback, hard to do that when the project is already finished :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:06 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
swedishchef wrote:
Appreciate the positive comments, before I would post a nearly complete project, so feedback felt like "aww you coulda done this better if..." so I really want to take the time to get your input this go around and make it constructive criticism.

Alright! You've asked for it ;)

I like it how you've already sewed out all those individual tiles, that shows a lot of effort already and patience. The pillars are quite a good idea too, so is the sacrifical table, shows a cold, granite feel to it. As for making it better: Make sure you create some depth in the tiles and make it more interesting. Maybe cracks, put basing sand on some, sand in the depths of the tiles, sand some down for a height difference, roughen them up, chipped edges, etc.

Same with the pillars, get some depth in them when painting. Also make sure no smooth surface exists. Those are seriously killing and if you're not a very good blender, it's hard to make it look right. Also, support them with some cocktail sticks so they won't fall over so quickly. The table... give it something interesting to look at... blood? runes? glow effect? a portal? anything, just not so dull flat and grey paint.

But yes, the most important thing are the tiles... you really need to make those more interesting before painting them.

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:09 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

A Luna wrote:
But yes, the most important thing are the tiles... you really need to make those more interesting before painting them.

Yeah, I am already seeing the importance of wrecking them. GOOD call on the variance of height/depth I will see what I can do there.

Pics soon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:15 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

bugbait_nz wrote:
If you give us the chance to see the WIPs we can provide feedback, hard to do that when the project is already finished :(

Believe me, I can already see the difference. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:54 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Ok so tonight I got done quite a bit of the fun stuff.

Runes:

Columns:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:24 am 
Gold Vault Member

Ahey! That looks pretty cool. But please oh please, don't triple post if you would :wink:
There's an edit button for reasons. Only double post if you have something totally new to show.

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:56 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Ok so I kept staring at the columns and hating them, so I just decided to re-work them altogether. Took the time to really make them feel chunky. Did the columns up in Cork Tile that was roughed up and then secured them with skewers so they even fit the holes I had set up with the old set.

Old Columns:

New Columns:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:43 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Ok... so when last we left off, I was ready to prime/base...

Fast forward to today where I got an uninterrupted 10 hours to paint, and this is what got done.

Crystal Groupings:

Runes (Now with Glow):

Columns:

Walkways:

To Do:
Flock
Blood
Skulls
More Blood
Sacrificial Volunteer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:32 am 
Silver Vault Member

Might be the picture, but the red and green 'glow' to me looks more like some really aggressive fungus, as there are hardly any sharp lines to see anymore.

Really like the crystals, looks like something a Necron-setting might profit from as well.

Necrons [----------|----------]1260/2500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:14 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

kaot wrote:
Might be the picture, but the red and green 'glow' to me looks more like some really aggressive fungus, as there are hardly any sharp lines to see anymore.

Really like the crystals, looks like something a Necron-setting might profit from as well.

It really is just the angle of the shot. If you can't tell... the 4 special runes are the chaos symbols, so they got some special attention. I will try to get a shot showing it, but I think they play pretty well. The green symbol is Nurgle after all, so I wanted a gross diseased green glow.

The crystals will pull double duty on this set and the tomb world I am slowly building. That will be the next major project of mine.