It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:17 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
I have been meaning to make some basic hills for a while now, and had found a great tutorial on coolminiornot on dynamic hills. I thought I’d give it a go and try to make the hills modular in a similar way to the games workshop modular hill.

I started the main hills with four 8" square cake boards that I had purchased to be terrain bases.

I had started one a ;little while ago but hadn't gotten very far, so I decided to finish it off as well. I had glued the basic structure together along with the rocks.

In order to make the hills modular, I chose to use a 6" long side and a 4.5" short side. Using four of these, I essentially copied the GW basic premise for building larger hills out of the components. Because I wanted the top edges to line up but still look a little like rocky outcrops, I made the flat surfaces of the hills out of cardboard cut to the right edge shapes and then in a basic triangle.

The positions for the joins was also marked on the bases.

The next step was to cut polystyrene to the general shape of the hills, but making them a bit smaller in the dimensions in both edges than the full size of the hills. They were then glued to the bases with the cardboard surfaces on top, with the cardboard overhanging the polystyrene but lined up with the edge of the board.

Next step was to include the bark and rocks and start filling the gaps with caulk.

And a group shot at this stage:

After that, wood filler/putty was used to cover and smooth the areas. This sin't quite finished - I realised half way through that some of the things I was trying to do with the putty should have been done with the caulk, so I had to stop and use caulk again and wait for it to dry. Then I ran out of evening...

Last edited by lupusj on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:33 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Next days work has been to add some sponge to act as moss and then texture the whole piece with sand.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:41 pm 

nice, easy terrain
good job
but i can still see white spots on the photo ^^

Chaos 7300+
Grey Knights [starting]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:37 pm 

The brush is fixing those up today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:20 am 

The finished, painted product. I feel that I achieved the modularity that I was aiming at, and got the project gone in three nights.

Shown in a couple of different configurations.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:58 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
thanks for the tutorial, very nice. I need to do something like that.

DE: 7215pts/6311 painted llllllllll
Lots of other stuff yet to be painted.

DE WIP: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=76171
Terrain Log: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80134