Group Build 34: Barricades (Complete)

This month's theme: Mass Production
daplunk
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Group Build 34: Barricades (Complete)

Post by daplunk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:49 am

Alot of what I've been working on this month fall into this category already. Actually my entire City of Death Terrain Project has been created within the time-frame of this competition so far! You can see more of my progress HERE

Link to my Blog about this terrain piece - http://wartornterrain.blogspot.com.au/2 ... cades.html

I created these in a single night after a full day at work. Its not a fun process. But it can be done quite quickly once you get the basic gist of what you need to do.

What You Need:
1x sheet of corrugated card
1x box of straws (always have alot of straws around)
1x piece of packing foam
1x sheet of MDF board
1x packed of air-dry clay
1x bottle of PVA glue
1x piece of flat wood to work on
1x piece of fly wire, the same size as the board above.
1x hot glue gun
1x sharp modelling knife
Patience

The Steps:

1- Cut the MDF board into bases for your barricades using the Jig-Swa. I used 6" x 2" pieces as per the City of Death rules.

2- Using your modelling knife cut up pieces of foam into rocky shapes and hot glue them to the bases. Be random as you like.

3- Cut up pieces of the corrugated card to make metal parts for you barricades. Be creative and use the hot glue gun to put them in place.

4- Use straws to create structural beams to support your sheets of metal.

5- Go have a scotch / bourbon, your gonna need it to move forward. While your enjoying your drink watch this tutorial from MWG.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWCG1SOJxOo

6- Take the piece of flat wood, hot glue gun the fly wire to the top of this board. This creates a textured surface for you to work on.

7- Take your air-dry clay and roll it into thin lengths on the fly wire board as per the video tutorial above. This will add a texture pattern to it.

8- Using your modelling knife cut off bag sizes sections of clay and flatten them gently with your fingers.

9- Start layering your bags on top of each other. Carefully. Use water if your hands get too sticky.

10- Do this hundreds of times

11- Thousands if you have the patience

12- Keep going the result is worth it!

13- Once you are happy with your little sand bag walls you need to leave it to dry for at least 24 hours.

Pro Tip: I'm cheap, air dry clay is cheap, we get along well. This whole process would be easier if you used Green Stuff!

14- Come back the next day and make a 50-50 solution of PVA glue and water.

15- Brush this mixture over your barricades ensuring you get in between the sand bags.

PRO TIP: BE BLOODY CAREFUL HERE! DO NOT BE TIRED! DO NOT BE HUNG OVER! THE SLIGHTEST MISTAKE AND YOUR SANDBAGS WILL FALL OVER FASTER THAN HUMPTY DUMPTY FELL OFF HIS WALL!

I supported my bags from the back using one hand while painting the glue mixture with the other. I made at least 1 fatal error per piece and had to re-assemble many pieces.

Pro Tip: Aerosol Adhesive does not work on this step so the bright idea to run off to your local hardware store is in vein!

16- You should now have completed barricades that will need to be left to dry.

17- Undercoat everything with black spray paint.

18- Detail your terrain pieces to your hears content.

More details to come!
Last edited by daplunk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

daplunk
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Re: Group Build 34: Barricades (WIP)

Post by daplunk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:09 am

Ok I have finished painting the barricades and rather happy with the result! :mrgreen:

My camera sucks so I apologise!

Also heres another style of barricade that can be produce very quickly! Its just foam with loops of wire pushed in the top!

Click HERE to see my blog detailing the creation of all of this terrain plus loads more! Everything on the blog was created from 17/03/2012 until now! I hope to have it finished within the month!

Ironclad-Warrior
Silver Vault Member

Re: Group Build 34: Barricades (Complete)

Post by Ironclad-Warrior » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Looks good!
gonna create some simillar terrain soon i think,
though the paintjob is a bit rough ;-)
Nonsense!

Chaos 7300+
Grey Knights [starting]

Return to “Group Build 34”