Group Build 34: Razor Wire (Complete)

This month's theme: Mass Production
daplunk
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Group Build 34: Razor Wire (Complete)

Post by daplunk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:29 am

Alot of what I've been working on this month fall into this category already. Actually my entire City of Death Terrain Project has been created within the time-frame of this competition so far! You can see more of my progress HERE

Link to my Blog about this terrain piece - http://wartornterrain.blogspot.com.au/2 ... -wire.html

I constructed these in a single night after a full day at work. They look more technical than they are ;)

What You Will Need:
1x roll of picture hanging wire (its lots of tiny wires twisted into 1 piece of wire)
1x sheet of MDF board for the bases
1x Jigsaw
1x piece of packing foam (any foam will do)
1x modelling knife
Bag of pop sticks (you can never have enough pop sticks)
1x wire cutter
Sand / Dirt - Should be found on your local ground
1x bottle of PVA glue
1x pencil

The Steps

1- Using the Jigsaw carefully cut out some bases. These can be any shape of size that you like. I used 1 inch by 6 inch's.

2- Next glue on some rocks. Break the foam into little pieces and use your modelling knife to cut out the corners and flat sections until it looks like a rock.

3- Glue the rocks randomly onto the bases in any amount / fashion you desire. Try make every piece look different!

4- Using the wire cutter cut the rounded edges off some pop sticks. Cut some pieces into 2-3cm lenghts and then split the small pieces in two (ie: create two thinner lengths of wood).

5- Use the hot glue gun to glue two pieces into a cross.

6- Glue the cross to the bases, I made some standing up, some fallen down, some were broken and just glued the pieces to the board.You should aim for 2 crosses per length of razor wire.

7- Using more pop sticks, make lengths (I used the entire pop stick with the rounded ends cut off) of thinner wood by snapping the pop sticks in half down the long length of the pop stick. These lengths need to be glued onto the crosses above to form little structures for the wire to go on!

8- Take the picture hanging wire and wrap it around a pencil. Do this alot. I made lengths of 6inch razor wire so I wound the wire around a pencil until I had approx 6 inches and then used the wire cutters to cut the length off the reel.

9- Wind the razor wire around the pop stick structures. You don't have to be careful here, messy looks good.

Pro Tip: Painting before step 9 would likely be easier... but that's not how my brain works! I like to see the finished product and then paint. . .

10- Smear PVA glue on your bases in random spots and stick glue / sand down. This adds texture to your bases.

Pro Tip: You can add extra pieces of detail here from your bits box! In the pics above I used wire reels to add character!

11- Spray paint everything black.

12- I then used a can of brown spray paint aimed directly at the wooden beams.

13- Paint the bases with further details. (Still to come)

Last edited by daplunk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

daplunk
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Re: Group Build 34: Razor Wire (WIP)

Post by daplunk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:16 am

Just finished painting some razor wire! Pretty damn happy with the result! :mrgreen:

Click HERE to see my blog detailing the creation of all of this terrain plus loads more! Everything on the blog was created from 17/03/2012 until now! I hope to have it finished within the month!

Ironclad-Warrior
Silver Vault Member

Re: Group Build 34: Razor Wire (Complete)

Post by Ironclad-Warrior » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:49 pm

they look good, but i kinda miss some spikes on that barbed wire...
it just doesn´t look so intimidatind without them
Nonsense!

Chaos 7300+
Grey Knights [starting]

daplunk
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by daplunk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:40 am

This is something i have thought about. I've watched alot of tutorials but every attempt I have seen to make the barbs ends up with out of scale spikes which I don't find attractive. Looking at these from the point of view of the player I don't feel the spikes are completely necessary and considering this is $8 for enough to do my entire board it became a matter of low effort > than any options I have previously seen. Except maybe for bought barb wire which the wife wasn't a fan of due to the cost haha :roll:

If anyone has some ideas to recreate to scale spikes fire away however! :?

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:00 am

Nice and easy, a very good combination!

Return to “Group Build 34”