It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:22 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
i had extra time and made another terrain piece, but i only had enough supplies to make one so...

you can make just about anything hilly or moundy out of this, i made a rough looking hill that had been dug into a large fox hole type thing.

supplies

any size pie tin ( you can also get large tins containers that caterers use)
rock, sand
paint
(i added spikes make from bamboo skewers and cut down trees from a stick i found)
fake grass and ground cover
(anything else you think might make it look better)

cut the trim off the pie tin so you only have the base

bend and crumple the tin to the shape you want, make sure the edges lay flat to the table or itll look funny.

prime or just paint a thick layer on the tin so that glues and paint dont run off the tin leaving metal showing. then glue down your sand and rocks

paint a muddy brown (or white if you want it snowy, tan if its a desert) use thin or watered down paint so that the sand and rock texture sticks out.

use greys and white dry brushes to ad highlights to ground and rocks, paint spikes and trees brown and dry brush grey (very dry on spikes) glue down grass and ground cover

if you want you can fill in a crater with water effect and make it a pond or something, you can also use different colors and add color to the water effect to make it a alien slime pool or a toxic waist pit (i cant do this cause im to cheap to buy water effect) but this is a easy way to make all kinds of terrain using pie tins butt bases.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:38 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
How well do they hold their shape over time?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:34 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

after the paint dries it keeps them pretty hard so normal use in games theyll be fine but if you start banging them on things they might bend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:50 am 
Gold Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Hey that looks pretty good. How kind of you to share :)

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:12 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Quote:
How well do they hold their shape over time?

When in doubt, punching 2-3 holes in a plastic sheet / piece of wood / anything that covers the unterside of the terrain, then holding it against it while spraying some insulation foam inside before setting it out to expand (inside of the terrain then flowing out thanks to the holes) and dry would definitely destroy any distrust in the endurance. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:03 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

i like this foam idea and gives me another idea that you could do with the pie tins what if you made a crater type shape out of the tin then poked a bunch holes in it sprayed the foam inslation in it tell it stared oozzing out of the holes the when you painted it up you could add like a tyranid looking armthing coming out of the crater and paint it all so that it looks like the crater is a big hole the the arm is coming out of and the foam are like tentacles or something

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:59 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Haha, that's a great adaption of my original comment! ^^

You could also paint faces on the "worms" to resemble "chaos stuff" coming out of the crater / warp portal.. I bet you get some eyeholes / mouth / nose / scars of the bubbles popping open anyway! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:44 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

i havent seen any caos space marine terrain, or eldar terrain yet im guna have to look some up

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:10 pm 
Silver Vault Member

ozzybwild wrote:

You could also paint faces on the "worms" to resemble "chaos stuff"

dang, now i gotta do this one, too
made me laugh a bit i think im gonna put smileys on the worms
also: "chaos stuff".... thats a nice term

Chaos 7300+
Grey Knights [starting]