Hendrics84 GB34 - Splosions and Craters ** Completed 3/17**

This month's theme: Mass Production
hendrics84
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Hendrics84 GB34 - Splosions and Craters ** Completed 3/17**

Post by hendrics84 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:35 pm

The one thing my battlefields lack is modular Craters and Splosion holes.

So I plan on making a few Rhino sized, maybe a Storm Raven crash hole, and a LR Splodey grave!

Pics will be coming soon :)
Last edited by hendrics84 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
***Well, you know what they say... When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!***

Bite me once, ouch. Bite me twice and you might be a brain hungry zombie

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

hendrics84
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Re: GB34 - Splosions and Craters

Post by hendrics84 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:16 pm

Starting on the Rhino Crater - Here is the base and the outline

***Well, you know what they say... When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!***

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

hendrics84

Post by hendrics84 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:28 pm

A Little Paper Mache action w some bits, sand, rocks and a Base coat done

ImageImage
Last edited by hendrics84 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

hendrics84

Post by hendrics84 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Ok, starting the Land Raider splosion hole - Im gonna eat, then start working on the Storm Raven Crater :twisted:

A Little Paper Mache action w some bits, sand, rocks and a Base coat done

Last edited by hendrics84 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

hendrics84

Post by hendrics84 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Alright, here is the Storm Raven crater! Now that all 3 are built, just need to paint and add a few final touches :D

Aaaaand, you guessed it - A Little Paper Mache action w some bits, sand, rocks and a Base coat done :P

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by bugbait_nz » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:36 am

Like the shape so far, if you can find some plaster you will be able to disguise the mesh look that is still visable and maybe fill in the ring on the inside of the crater to give it a concave look.

My 2c

Bugbait out

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:06 am

These are looking pretty good so far. I like bugbaits idea of smearing some spackle in there.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

hendrics84

Post by hendrics84 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Im hoping that the textured look of the towels that i used is going to add some burnt effect to the ground after i paont the first coat brown.

So with the Plaster, fill the inside of the rings so it looks like earth coming straight up to the edge of the blast radius? that will be the next thing that I do.

I dont want to clutter up the inside of the craters too much, as i want to be able to disembark all units that were in said transport and have them comfrotably fit in in the footprint to party

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

hendrics84

Post by hendrics84 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:34 am

So i finished up the LR crater without any touch up or smoothing of the surface, due to lack of resource / materials, but i still think this came out pretty well :)

More To come -

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

hendrics84

Post by hendrics84 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:03 am

Storm Raven Crater is done! WooHoo!!!!

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

hendrics84

Post by hendrics84 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:08 am

Rhino Blast crater is complete now too :)

Ill be putting up finished pics of them all tonight, and be complete : :mrgreen:

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

hendrics84

Post by hendrics84 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:20 am

Finished! All made to be playable, and stabely hold whichever unlucky units happen to be landing in the crater from their otherwise obliterated vehichle, if they servive the explosion.

I had a ton of fun making these! Ive always made structures, and never really sat back and made somthing, well, destroyed :p

I hope you guys enjoy

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

balangaz
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: Hendrics84 GB34 - Splosions and Craters ** Completed 3/17**

Post by balangaz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:24 am

All craters look amazing, the melting pool of metal and debris are a nice touch to the pieces, but I would only use the Rhino and Raider crater in a game, the Raven one is enormous, and most of the time I would have to move too many models around the destroyed Stormraven to make it fit.

Great job dude!
Oi, ya git! Get ya lazy arse roight into our Group Builds! Be da best Mek and loot all da pieces!

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:22 am

Nice completed set dude! The splash of color provided by the molten metal adds a little character and makes them attactive to look at. Would have been nice to see this fire-y glow on some of the larger chunks of debris. I think the towel would have worked out better if you scrunched it up a bit before it set. Just to give a very sporadic sploded feel to the earth.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

hendrics84

Post by hendrics84 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks for the compliments :)

I was thinking about the SR crater and its size, but when i play with it, im going to only count inside the crater as difficult / dangerous, everything outside and around would be normal terrain, with the broken sponsons being possible 4+ cover.

This is actually my first time using this paper mache style, but i dont think it turned out too bad :p I may go back and add some more molteny good-ness for some style.

Its good to be back into making terrain :twisted:

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

Return to “Group Build 34”