DavicusPrime's Group Build 34: Hab Units (COMPLETE!!!)

This month's theme: Mass Production
DavicusPrime
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

DavicusPrime's Group Build 34: Hab Units (COMPLETE!!!)

Post by DavicusPrime » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Concept: Quonset huts are those prefab corrugated metal half round buildings first designed during WWII. To build one to Heavy Gear Scale (Approx 1/144th) I can build them from Toilet paper cores.

Materials:
TP cores (1 core = two huts)
Starbucks Cup Sleeves to provide the Corrugated exterior surface
Cardstock/poster board to make the ends and details.

So now I have to go buy some coffee and um... deplete some TP rolls.

-DavicusPrime
Last edited by DavicusPrime on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed Project Title from Quonset Huts
favoredctan: "you wound me, sir."
demarcosg: "Roll armour save."
My PhotoBucket Page

DMDaddy0
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Re: DavicusPrime's Group Build 34: Quonset Huts

Post by DMDaddy0 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:12 pm

For an interesting bit of inspiration, look up pictures of US Air Force generation 1 and 2 Hardened Aircraft Structures (HAS for short). They've got a very "wargame-y" feel to them.

DavicusPrime
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:26 pm

DMDaddy0 wrote:For an interesting bit of inspiration, look up pictures of US Air Force generation 1 and 2 Hardened Aircraft Structures (HAS for short). They've got a very "wargame-y" feel to them.

I'll definitely do that. Thanks for the tip.

DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

DavicusPrime

Post by DavicusPrime » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Switching things up... Dropping the Quonsets in favor of a batch of futuristic Domicile type buildings based on the Critical Mass Games Arc style buildings.

Still going to use the Starbucks coffee cup sleeves, but mostly it'll be made from foamcore.

Pictures coming soon.

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

DavicusPrime

Re: DavicusPrime's Group Build 34: Hab Units

Post by DavicusPrime » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:58 am

So here we go... My project is Heavy Gear Blitz scale Hab Units based on the 15mm scale Hab Block buildings produced by Critical Mass Games.

Materials:
5mm Foamcore for the main structure.
Poster board/card stock for the sides and other details.
Some Starbucks Coffee sleeves for the corrugated material.
1/8" Hardboard/Masonite for the base.
And random bits and plasticard/rod detail thingies.
Filler or clay to fill in any gaps and exposed edges of the foamboard.

Tools:
Hobby Knife with lots of sharp blades.
PVA glue (white glue) for Card-to-Card.
Plastic Glue for any styrene detail bits.
Super glue for anything that isn't card-to-card or plastic-to-plastic.
Files and sand paper
Steel Ruler for cutting straight lines.

I drew up some basic plans, which I misplaced before I could get a picture of it... So, moving right along, here's the Foamboard with all the required wall bits for 3 hab units drawn on to it.
I then proceeded to cut out all the parts to build the walls. Here is one building worth of walls followed by a pic of all 3 sets.
I designed the building so that all the wall parts slot into each other. Here is one set with the slots cutout and what it looks like assembled.
When I test fit everything I was finding that the slots fit so tightly that they distorted the walls a bit. So I added some PVA glue and placed a board on top to keep the parts snug and straight while it cured.

More to come... The Next Steps will be measuring and cutting out more foamcore to make the rooves and then on to adding detail.

-DavicusPrime
Last edited by DavicusPrime on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed link
My PhotoBucket Page

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:05 am

Always great to see your builds dude. These buildings look great and you've got a good start so far.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

DavicusPrime

Post by DavicusPrime » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:18 am

Alrighty... Got a little time to poke at these some more tonight. I got the rooves cut out. I didn't already have these cut out when I cut out all the walls because I wasn't sure what the dimensions of the end product would be with the slots. I was shooting for a 40mm x 80mm building (not including the flanges). I guessed that the way the side walls nested into the slots on the end walls would add 1mm of length at each end, but the actual measurement implies that it only added 1/2mm each. So I'm glad I waited to cut each roof out because they would have been 1mm too long by my original guess.

So here's a pic of the three assembled buildings sitting on the hardboard bases I also cut out today. I have the three rooves at different stages, one already placed on the building, one showing how I trimmed out one layer of card and the foam so that the roof slides right inside the walls and the roof before I cut out the edges.

The roof on the model I'm imitating has this corrugated look to it. I could have gone down to the model train shop and pick up some corrugated styrene, but a couple months ago I had noticed the interior of those insulating sleeves they put on coffee cups at Starbucks had a nice corrugated pattern. So this is what I'm gonna do...

Hopefully my next installment will consist of completed roof details and my plans to add detail to the walls.

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

DavicusPrime

Post by DavicusPrime » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:20 pm

So I've got to the point where I'm trying to work out detail bits so I just work on one until I get it the way I want it then reproduce it on the others. In this case it's the roof. Here's the prototype one...
And now it's time to do the same on the others.
I added 1mm strips of styrene to bulk up the roof a bit before adding the corrugated bits and I added a section of plasticard to build up the area I added the grating to.
Then I glued it on. Notice the scrap bits I added? They're to add support for the corrugated cardboard so it doesn't distort so much when downward pressure is applied to it.
So here it is after I glued down the roof sections...
And now for the grating. I used 10 hole's per inch "Granny Grating" you can get at most craft and fabric stores. I needed to double it up so that the plastic angle stock I used could use the grating as support as well as the plasticard rectangle below.
And now all three are ready for the angle stock.
So here's the stuff I used for the frame around the grating and the xacto miter box I used to cut it.
I glued them together using a rectangular form I drew on paper to make sure it was square then glued it to the plasticard and grating.

Next Up... The prototype for the side detail.

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

DavicusPrime

Post by DavicusPrime » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:21 pm

So the Sides started as a concept on paper, as pictured all blurry like here...
I transfered the pattern to some poster board and cut out the area for the window frame and door frame. Glued a strip Posterboard across the top edge and added a 3mm bit of plastic rod above the doors as exterior lighting. One last bit of sprue and plastic rod were added as a power box and there you have it, the exterior detail prototype complete.
ImageImage
ImageImage

And next will be repeating the detail for the other two buildings and adding some filler to the edges of the foamcore and the corrugated material to fill in any gaps...

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

bigt
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by bigt » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:13 am

omg i love the detail and the way you grid everything out, these are guna be great when their done

DavicusPrime

Post by DavicusPrime » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:10 pm

So... Almost done with the build. So here is how I did the details on the sides:
I cut out some card that fits the wall and has cutouts for the windows and doors as well as markings for where I want details located.
I also cut a 4mm strip to glue to the top of each "panel" pictured here with the rest of the bits.
Then I glued the strip across the top of the panels where I marked them for it and then glued the panels on to the walls of the main foamcore structure.
So here are the two copies of the original prototype next to the prototype (notice the drawings I based the panel design on in the background).
Now I'm going to use styrene strips to fill in the frames of the doors and windows as well as some cutoffs of styrene rod to make the external light fixtures.
I also made power boxes out of bits of sprue and another small length of styrene rod. So here are the three buildings complete.
In the last pics I put a little filler on the ends of the roofs to fill in the gaps at the corrugated bits and put a little on the edges of the foamcore, but need another layer to cover over the foam. Then it's painting time!

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

swedishchef
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by swedishchef » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:02 pm

Davicus ...

Wow. I am completely impressed with this. Not enough good things can be said about it, and your approach to sharing it with us. I will DEFINITELY be stealing these.

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:02 am

Most impressive dude. I really like the end result.
Can't wait to see some paint on them!
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Ironclad-Warrior
Silver Vault Member

Post by Ironclad-Warrior » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:56 pm

It´s cool, at first i didn´t really think it was mass production,
bc it looks so complex but i think its still pretty easy to create (at least when following your steps and instructions^^)
Nonsense!

Chaos 7300+
Grey Knights [starting]

DavicusPrime

Re: DavicusPrime's Group Build 34: Hab Units (COMPLETE!!!)

Post by DavicusPrime » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:08 am

So here they are, painted and ready for war...

And with the sum total of my painted Heavy Gear Mini's for scale.

Nice to actually finish one of these things on time. :D

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

Return to “Group Build 34”