Group Build 34: Balangaz "modular barrels" [Completed]

This month's theme: Mass Production
balangaz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Group Build 34: Balangaz "modular barrels" [Completed]

Post by balangaz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:52 am

Ok, long time since I've entered one group build but as this one is themed 'easily reproduced' I have the perfect piece, all you need is bottle caps!

I've seen this somewhere on the internet but I swear I have no idea where, but for almost two months now I've been collecting the same type of bottle caps. It's important to use only one type of cap since we want to make our terrain modular. Let me show you guys a quick example. This are the caps I have saved. You take two caps and using CA, glue them together. Rinse and repeat.

Using a hot glue, glue a couple of them together. Try to create several different combinations so when they are with each other they will blend easily. These are some pieces I have.

When you put them together they can look like this...

...or like this...

This is a shot with some models so you can judge the size. There are about 120 caps on this last picture.

I'll try to paint a piece so you guys can see it painted but a simple basecoat and dry brush will do wonders! This is definitively an 'easily reproduced' terrain and I have waaaaay more than 3 so I think I'm safe right?
Last edited by balangaz on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oi, ya git! Get ya lazy arse roight into our Group Builds! Be da best Mek and loot all da pieces!

DMDaddy0
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Re: Group Build 34: Balangaz "modular barrels"

Post by DMDaddy0 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:56 am

Someone drinks too much soda...

balangaz
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by balangaz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:04 am

Dude, nothing like being friends with the waitress of the coffee place next to the subway. She thinks I'm an idiot for taking the caps but if she sets them aside for me what do I care!
Oi, ya git! Get ya lazy arse roight into our Group Builds! Be da best Mek and loot all da pieces!

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:29 am

Sweet dude! I have about 300 water bottle caps saved from last summer... :P

I like the look of them all stacked and layered like in the pics. Imagine making 1000 of them and covering a whole board!
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

camsmclean
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:37 pm

Very interesting. Im having troubles picturing the finished product. These are like oil barrels? (Or ale for my dwarfs!!)

Cant wait to see them all painted up.

Gotta love when you ask someone for an odd part for warhammer.... I asked my dad for his old foam, and he has trouble understanding how it goes from pink foam, to a rocky outcrop... wonder what he tells his buddies..."my 32 year old son wants this foam for a cave..."
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Awesome, I am sure I saw it somewhere too and have been collecting caps for the last couple of weeks. Don't drink much soda, so will be a while :) Can't wait to see the final paint job!

balangaz

Post by balangaz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:34 pm

@blue and I was thinking I had too many caps!

@camsmclean Yeah, those started as oil drums for a landing spot, but since I got so many I decided to create a piece on its own. Also, the girl that gives them don't think we I'm weird because I 'collect' bottle caps, she might think I'm weird for playing board games all night or for me and my friends always taking dates there.

@nappen Most of these caps are water bottle caps, the place where I get most of them sells mostly water. Ask around and you'll find some places that will give them to you, you just need to be flattering xD

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:44 pm

balangaz wrote:
@nappen Most of these caps are water bottle caps, the place where I get most of them sells mostly water. Ask around and you'll find some places that will give them to you, you just need to be flattering xD
Clearly you have not heard me try to be flattering. More likely to get a water bottle to the head. :D

Countryrobin
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by Countryrobin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:16 pm

i did this once but it was a single tire for my killa kan on a unicycle
"Do not go where there is a path, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.".

balangaz

Post by balangaz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:01 am

Cam, here you can get a look of a finished piece. They look good in any color really but I think that green and blue are the best. Each one was painted black, then base-coated with a dark tone, dry brushed with a medium tone and final dry brush with light tone.

On my previous pieces I used a wash after the medium tone then I'd dry brush again medium before going to the light, and to finish it I'd chip the paint with a sponge but since these are for my LGS this will do just fine...

There is a guy on my LGS that likes to build them up high when we play, but the guy that plays nids prefers to spread them up along the table so he can get more cover.

They are very versatile, everyone should think about getting some for their gaming board, at least to represent oil/water/gas/something drums near bunkers and landing pads.

Let's see if I can think of something else for this GB.

Nappen

Re: Group Build 34: Balangaz "modular barrels" [Completed]

Post by Nappen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:57 am

Very cool. I think the brown would work well in a fantasy game as wooden barrels. Will definately "borrow" this idea.

Dark Crescent
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryParticipated in King of the Hill

Post by Dark Crescent » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:31 am

They are so simple but so cool. I too shall "borrow" this idea. i reckon black ones could pass for tyres if you glue them so that the ribs alternate

DarkSideWarGaming2
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by DarkSideWarGaming2 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:41 am

wow, they turned out very nice
Dark Angle w:2 d:0 l:1
Tau w:1 D:0 L:0

feddog
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by feddog » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:14 am

Woah! Dude that turned out awesome!
Necrons - 2000
orks - 2250

Only a true man dies fighting, I for one run away.

camsmclean
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:36 am

Ahhhh, I see now. I was thinking you stack the caps, but you put the bottom to bottom.

Turn out awesome man, and talk about mass produced!
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

Return to “Group Build 34”