What about hex bases?

This is for topics that are out of date.
Wiouds
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

What about hex bases?

Postby Wiouds » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:46 pm

While playing on a hex grid, I found the hex works well. The rules that were affected by the hex were the overwatch, front, and rear. I made overwatch angle 60 degree. For the front I made the rule that the forces can only attack those in front of them. Front is anything 90 degree from where they are looking. Rear is the other side of the squad member and any force attack at that angle they get a +4 to current offense.

I found the hex base was able to handle both these rules with no real problem.

Kris Knives

Re: What about hex bases?

Postby Kris Knives » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:54 am

Do you mean using hexes just for the model bases or playing on a hex grid playing field?

Wiouds

Postby Wiouds » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:24 am

This is for the models base. The point is that with the use of geometry we can get the angles need from the bases and the bases themselves does not need to be part to do so. I know this is mainly for those that like more good looking models.

Kris Knives

Postby Kris Knives » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:27 am

Wiouds wrote:This is for the models base. The point is that with the use of geometry we can get the angles need from the bases and the bases themselves does not need to be part to do so. I know this is mainly for those that like more good looking models.

I know they used hex bases in Battletech to similar effect so unless issues comes up in testing playing with hexes this sound like a good idea to me. I don't see any reason not to have hex bases when you put it that way.

Wiouds

Postby Wiouds » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:56 am

I did find the hex grid easy to maneuver around cover but getting attack range was a pain.

slaughtergames

Postby slaughtergames » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:22 am

hex bases could be interesting.... but i don't think the board should be covered in hexes.. that would be plain annoying
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

Wiouds

Postby Wiouds » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:16 pm

After a number of play test with hex bases I can say that hex bases work very well with the game. I never place anything thing to part when the overwatch arc is.

Return to “Archive”