Scatter Template

This is for topics that are out of date.
saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Scatter Template

Post by saltinerunner45 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:55 pm

hay guys i remember there being arguments on scatter a while ago, but i couldnt remember if we resolved them or not. if we did, sorry about this, but if we didnt than i had an idea for a scatter template which is based of 2d6.
the reason for the numbering is that it is most likely that you would roll a 7, than a 6/8. then 7/9 etc etc. so i tried to space it out alternating from most likely to least likely and back again.
for each gun/"spell" that can use a blast template we could show which way it will scatter. ex. grenades would have 7 pointing back because its easier to under throw than over throw; missiles would be forward because if you miss it will keep going; artillery (just because its off the board) you could place the 7 anywhere you wanted. also, if we do it this way, we could have "windy" scenarios where the wind comes from one board edge, so you would place the 7 1/2 way between its regular place and where the wind is blowing towards.
just an idea guys, if you dont think it will work just let me know and ill try something else :D
Last edited by saltinerunner45 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
"In the grim darkness of the future, there is only static grass." -Smurfyk
2000pts Tyranid

Wiouds
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Scatter Template

Post by Wiouds » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:10 pm

I like the ideal of using a core and pointer dice.

It work well with my ideal for the type of area attacks.

DacoTrilar
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by DacoTrilar » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:55 am

Wiouds wrote:I like the ideal of using a core and pointer dice.

It work well with my ideal for the type of area attacks.
According to Matt, the scatter dice is copyrighted by GW. We could make one with only arrows, though.

I like the idea of just using arrows on a template for scatter, although I think it'd be nicer to just let the attacker always point the '7' in whatever direction they want. It'll mean less time looking up rules and it'll give the player an interesting choice to make. Nice template Saltinerunner

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:31 am

ah your right man, my idea is kinda complicated. i was going for more of a "realistic" system, but often thats just to much work for something like this lol :)
only problem i see with your opponent placing it is that there will be alot of scatter back towards your guys. maybe you both pick an angle and find the in between? idk.
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
2000pts Tyranid

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:42 am

I was doing my area attacks with two dice and not a scatter die.

I have it where one of the die I rolled become the core and the second be come the pointer. For an arcing combat angle, the player rolls the pointer and core dice. If the roll is higher than their arcing skill then the center of the area attack does not move. If they roll less then the center of attacks moves the different between the arcing skill and the rolled number times the weapon spread. The center of attack will move in the direction of the core to pointer dice. After the center of the area attack is moved, it then attacks all squad members in its range.

Drifts attacks have a tiny different to area attacks.

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:01 pm

2 things on this (assuming of corse that im understanding it correctly)
1. does that mean that you dont use a blast template then?
2. again if im understanding correctly, why wouldnt you roll both die at the same time? i feel like its too easy to cheat if you roll them separately
2000pts Tyranid

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:47 pm

saltinerunner45 wrote:2 things on this (assuming of corse that im understanding it correctly)
1. does that mean that you dont use a blast template then?
2. again if im understanding correctly, why wouldnt you roll both die at the same time? i feel like its too easy to cheat if you roll them separately
I do not use a template since it hard to deal with the template with the amount of cover the game have. I place a token called area attack and move that around for the center of the attack. Then I can place a quick template over it if I want t but normally I just measure those in range of the center attack. Then the center attack does a range attack on them.

I roll both dice using a cup.

Right know I am doing a number of play test with two type of area attacks.

Edited to add:

Here is a play test I did and the rules for it. It include the area attack rules I work with.
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 24&t=70067