How army list building can work

This is for topics that are out of date.
Cow
MiniWarGaming Zealot

How army list building can work

Post by Cow » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:06 am

Just a quick idea here. You know how in the warhammer army books and codecies are laid out where you select say "the infantry squad" and "the anti-tank dudes" and the "elite type guys"? I was imagining this can go in a different direction. Here it is:

Within the faction you chose there will be personell types to recruit. Like imagine real life army selection. Some guy in an office would be pouring over dossiers of recruits and deciding where they will fit (I'm in no way military so this is my best guess). These would generally show the condition of the recruit.

In Dark Potential this could be simplified to varying levels of veterancy. When picking a squad to add to your army, you might select from Green, Trained, Elite, Heroic, etc. (expanding on this imagine, penal troops, different animals for the animal faction, different makes and models for the salvagers and so on) Then your squad would be made up of those type of troop.

Then you would select some equipment and assume the troops were given some basic training on how to use them. (Also, this is not limited to physical equipment but specialty training and tactics, certain abilities and whatnot.)

(this being a skirmish game, I can't imagine there would be too much over specialization, so many units should be able to hand a couple different situations)

Imagine you decide you need some recon of some kind in your group. But perhaps you don't want this to be a pivotal unit so you select Green troops for this job. And perhaps you don't need too many so just put like 4 or 5 in this squad. Then equip them with some basic weapon, either a simple sidearm to be really cheat, or give 'em little more hunting class weapons. Then you equip and train them to be target spotters, so they can spot enemy units and make it easier for allied units to hit them with their guns! Oh, and then get light armour so they have more maneovrability than heavier armoured troops. Then give them some special training in cover utilization so that they can use the terrain around them to heep them safer than your average joe.

Now that seems like a pretty cool squad! If you want them to be more competent, try selecting a different troop type, like Elite!

I certainly would like some comments and suggestions on this. This sort of discussion entertains me.
My wine coaster is a blast template.

My Tank is Fight!

My other shirt has a Psychic Hood

Wiouds
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: How army list building can work

Post by Wiouds » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:36 am

I was thinking something more like this where the player first start out by picking the fighter and then what weapon, armor, abilities they squad will have.

This is what the player could work from with the squad. Normally they pick on armor, can get a weapon for each type and some abilities.

The player will then end up with the next image. A player should be able to use this to play the game and build armies later with it.

edited to add:
That does not mean we can not have some squad be in stages. I mean I came up with the ideal for two bandits fighter are the unproven and the proven. The proven is just a better stat the unproven with more gear to pick from.

Cow
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Cow » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Okay so my idea is actually quite similar to yours. In fact your first sentance is exactly what I was thinking. Hard to find a difference, but it appears your idea involves selecting a faction after putting together a unit.

Either way I enjoy your idea just as much! If the game ends up with a system similar to either of our ideas I would be very happy.

My Tank is Fight!

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:31 pm

My ideal you can from having the faction made and then work on the squads. You start with the Corporation and build squad for that army from the fighter sheet.

Lets say you are tired of the Corporation and want to try a new faction like the Reclaimers well you can use the squad member sheet to remain have a squad you like to join the Reclaimers.

Let say you want to go from from the Corporation to the Reclaimers and you want to keep the Raiders well there a 10 points increase to do so but you can keep them.

Cow
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Cow » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:24 pm

To be honest, that is a bit backwards. A soldier of the same veterancy will have different strengths and weaknesses depending on which faction trained them. Plus the technology would be different so you'd be swapping those out.

Choose faction first, then build squad from the available personell and equipment. Soldiers trained by the corporation will have different stats than soldiers trained by the Reclaimers, not to mention the Salvagers or the Animals.

If you want to switch factions, you are going remake your squads. It would be silly to keep the same one.

Otherwise, each faction would be way too similar. That is what is trying to be avoided.

My Tank is Fight!

LLeRRoux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by LLeRRoux » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:48 pm

I agree woth Cow's last post. You can't make units from one army available in other factions, or every faction would be the same game-wise. It's like having a new rule in 40k where you can take genestealers in a blood angels army for 10 points more and use a landraider for your eldar. It doesn't make sense fluff-wise or rule-wise.

However, I love the idea of having basic unit types with loads of customisation options to go with them. This is the greatest way to add variety in playing style from one person to another and makes classification much easyer than having a whole bunch of different specific units.

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 pm

If you look at the chart you see the name is sub faction. I set it up so different sub faction in a faction could have some units costs differently and even some units only some sub faction can use.

This was a fighter I set up as a part of the bandits. They can use the same weapons as the Soldiers since they are in the same world and having two weapon that have the same stats and properties would be foolish.

Also I have some fighters that can share abliities like free run(1) which reduce the cost over moving over cover and terrain by up to 1.

I have the ideal that each faction is not just lore but a combat style. Think of the faction as RPG classes in a way. This may leave to some out of region units that fall under the combat style.

To Build an Army I think of something like this:
Armies have a limit number of squads for a cost range

step 1:
First you pick the way you want to fight (faction)

Step 2 or 3:
Then you pick some powers that faction can use (They cost both CP and points.)

Step 2 or 3:
Then you start pick squads. This can be done by starting with a fight sheet and picking what you want, or using a premade squad from a squad member page.

Also I was thinking the army is not the same as a fielding force.

Cow
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Cow » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:06 pm

Wiouds wrote: This was a fighter I set up as a part of the bandits. They can use the same weapons as the Soldiers since they are in the same world and having two weapon that have the same stats and properties would be foolish.
I can imagine that same weapons can be used, for some factions, namely the human ones. even then Reclaimers would have more advanced guns than Corp. and Bandits.

I fully agree that having two weapons with the same stats WOULD be foolish. I don't think anyone disagrees with that.
Wiouds wrote:If you look at the chart you see the name is sub faction. I set it up so different sub faction in a faction could have some units costs differently and even some units only some sub faction can use.
Okay so subfactions, not factions. Just like how chapters of Space Marines will have different priced stuff, but still similar. I get it. But wait, what subfactions will there even be? Like, is that a decided thing yet?

What are the subfactions in each Faction?
Wiouds wrote: I have the ideal that each faction is not just lore but a combat style. Think of the faction as RPG classes in a way. This may leave to some out of region units that fall under the combat style.
Of course each faction will be not just lore. To make them unique, we must make sure each Faction plays differently than eachother. Perhaps this can be achieved by not blurring the lines between them, and give them unique stats and abilities.

I need not think of factions as RPG classes, I fully understand how factions in a strategy game are defined.

Although, I'm not sure what you mean by "leaving to some out of region units that fall under the combat style," If you are saying what I think you are saying then shouldn't most units follow the combat style of the faction?

Not trying to ragg on your ideas. It just appears to me that they are against what you are trying to accomplish.

My Tank is Fight!

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:44 pm

Cow wrote:
Wiouds wrote:If you look at the chart you see the name is sub faction. I set it up so different sub faction in a faction could have some units costs differently and even some units only some sub faction can use.
Okay so subfactions, not factions. Just like how chapters of Space Marines will have different priced stuff, but still similar. I get it. But wait, what subfactions will there even be? Like, is that a decided thing yet?

What are the subfactions in each Faction?
At the moment none but we may have some later so we should plan for them
Cow wrote:
Wiouds wrote: I have the ideal that each faction is not just lore but a combat style. Think of the faction as RPG classes in a way. This may leave to some out of region units that fall under the combat style.
Of course each faction will be not just lore. To make them unique, we must make sure each Faction plays differently than eachother. Perhaps this can be achieved by not blurring the lines between them, and give them unique stats and abilities.

I need not think of factions as RPG classes, I fully understand how factions in a strategy game are defined.

Although, I'm not sure what you mean by "leaving to some out of region units that fall under the combat style," If you are saying what I think you are saying then shouldn't most units follow the combat style of the faction?

Not trying to ragg on your ideas. It just appears to me that they are against what you are trying to accomplish.
I was in a hurry to get some place so I did not type reread what I wrote.

What I was trying to say is that some fighter, power, abilities and etc. may not be in the the story part of the game. I was thinking if you do not like the story part of the lore then just remove that and use of the combat style with some other plans.

By the way I have came up with six fighting styles.