High Command

This is for topics that are out of date.
Kris Knives
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

High Command

Post by Kris Knives » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:07 am

Does anyone have any ideas for High Command?

I was thinking of a High Command mechanic. Commanders offer certain benefits that squads (High Command Powers) can take advantage of in addition to Commanders own unique powers. In order to take advantage of a high command power a squad leader must make a command check however.

So it would be something like

High Commander Clash

High Command Harsh Suppression - When you suppress a squad automatically deal 1 damage to it as well.

When the game starts I declare one of my squads wishes to use Harsh Suppression, so we roll a command check. If the command check succeeds that squad gains the benefits of Harsh Suppression for this round.

I feel this stresses the benefit for having good command in an Army vs. just really strong units ala the bandits.

slaughtergames

Re: High Command

Post by slaughtergames » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:12 am

isn;t that what regular command points should be doing anyway?
example:

i want to suppress. but i want to do it better than normal, so i spend a command point.

or maybe i didn't understand your idea lol :wink:
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

Kris Knives

Post by Kris Knives » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:08 am

Well I was just trying to get conversation going. Matt has said he wants to have commanders and sub-commanders in the game. I'm just trying to get a discussion on what those might be an what they might do.

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 am

Right now I say the commander just give command points.

Any Sub-commanders can step in and become the commander. If the sub-commanders does not step in for a lost commander then they do not give command points.

The system right now have some hard counters. Overwatch is a very hard counter. (maybe a little too.) At the moments Overwatch stop movement, and attacks. Having the ability to spend command points to weaken or stop that would be all they need.

Those could be a faction powers.

slaughtergames

Post by slaughtergames » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:12 am

sorry for derailing, but; how does overwatch "stop" moving and attacks?

and i do think a sub-comm should be allowed to spend command points.. just not as many or maybe no access to all commands
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:31 am

The only reason for over watch is to stop the enemies from firing or moving. Why else would you enter it?

I do not think there should be a range limit for using command points.

I say only the active commander produces command points. The player does not need to say which commander is active.

Kris Knives

Post by Kris Knives » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Wiouds wrote:Right now I say the commander just give command points.
I have to strongly disagree. Commanders are supposed to be the heart of your army and are a mandatory unit. If they are all somewhat generic command point generators that really takes away a lot from the game in terms of both flavor and design space.

Re: overwatch - I think overwatch, like a lot of things, is subject to change as the game evolves and some hard rules comes down so I wouldn't worry too much about it right this second. It could end up just requiring a command check to continue your action or that cerain units like "fearless" units are immune to the stop effect from overwatch or supression.