It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:31 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Potential benefits to successfully suppressing an enemy squad. Could be combined.
- Whenever the suppressed squad fires, the squad they are firing at gains a cover bonus to DEF. Probably the normal bonus, +3 or w/e it winds up being. This is because the suppressed squad is busy keeping their heads down.
- The suppressed squad can't move.
- The suppressed squad can't shoot.
- The suppressed squad has a large penalty to shooting, somewhere around -3. Distracted by the massive amount of fire raining down.
- The suppressed squad suffers a speed penalty

Personally, I like the first two options: suppressed squads can't move and any squad they fire at gains cover. Gaining cover and the squad suffering a penalty to their shooting skill are effectively the same, except that the gaining cover mechanic does not benefit any units you have that are already in cover, which encourages the player to make a movement with a separate squad to take advantage of the suppressing fire.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:52 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

RabbiPT wrote:
Personally, I like the first two options: suppressed squads can't move and any squad they fire at gains cover. Gaining cover and the squad suffering a penalty to their shooting skill are effectively the same, except that the gaining cover mechanic does not benefit any units you have that are already in cover, which encourages the player to make a movement with a separate squad to take advantage of the suppressing fire.

that's actually really smart, kudos to you!

"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:10 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
I agree that I like the first two as the penalty for being supressed, but I would add one thing. If you are suppressed you should be able to sacrifice one model to nullify one of the two options.

Basically one guy jumps up and distracts while the rest of the unit move away to a different position, or takes a shot at one of the enemy units.

This one guy would either be eliminated at the end of the action, or every enemy unit within range gets a free shot at that model.

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee
Latest video, 3000 batrep, IG vs BA escalation rules!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:38 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

wizardv12222 wrote:
I agree that I like the first two as the penalty for being supressed, but I would add one thing. If you are suppressed you should be able to sacrifice one model to nullify one of the two options.

Basically one guy jumps up and distracts while the rest of the unit move away to a different position, or takes a shot at one of the enemy units.

This one guy would either be eliminated at the end of the action, or every enemy unit within range gets a free shot at that model.

I'm not sure that would work Wiz.

Say in the act of Suppression fire I cause 3 wounds... now, because I was using Suppression these wounds aren't removed, but are counted as a negative on a leadership test. The test is failed, and the unit becomes suppressed. The unit then sacrifices one guy, to nullify half the effect of Suppression.

If I was the unit trying to suppress, I have given up 2 wounds for not much advantage...

I'm not sure I would even attempt suppression fire if it could be nullified in any way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:31 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
I have always looked as suppression as something that happens in addition to taking wounds. So in your example you deal 3 wounds, remove casualties and then have to take leadership test with a negative modifer.

But I agree if it is either or, then there shouldn't be an easy way to get out of being suppressed.

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee
Latest video, 3000 batrep, IG vs BA escalation rules!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:58 pm 

if thats the case, perhaps suppression should occur when you loose 1/2 of your models in the squad. this could be something that enforces big squads because we dont have to many things that do this. from a fluff perspective it would represent soliders being shot down, so their allies throw themselves against cover to protect themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:32 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

matt doesn't want big squads
and he wants specific firing for suppression.

i like the idea of any squad the suppressed squad fires at gains a cover defence,
it would encourage flanking.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:23 am 

people, you missed something here. suppresive fire negates cover. if you cause three wounds WITHOUT cover then you would cause no wounds with WITH cover. wich is why you try to suppress them...

"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:42 pm 

slaughtergames wrote:
people, you missed something here. suppresive fire negates cover. if you cause three wounds WITHOUT cover then you would cause no wounds with WITH cover. wich is why you try to suppress them...

2 problems with this
1. you would still cause a wound, you would just roll a single die for it
2. if you suppress them you can just run around their cover next turn, and rip them apart then. this enforces strategy and positioning, the 2 major things matt wants.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:39 am 

saltinerunner45 wrote:
slaughtergames wrote:

2 problems with this
1. you would still cause a wound, you would just roll a single die for it
2. if you suppress them you can just run around their cover next turn, and rip them apart then. this enforces strategy and positioning, the 2 major things matt wants.

1. sorry, since when do we roll two dice for wounding? did i miss something?
2. yes i totally agree.sorry i didn't put my mind to words right...

"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:13 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

if you equal their defence you roll one die to have a small chance of killing a guy.

i like that suppression needs to happen twice to make flanking effective,
a suppressed squad has a chance to break out of suppression and massacre the flanking squad while they are exposed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:16 pm 

malko888 wrote:
if you equal their defence you roll one die to have a small chance of killing a guy.

oh, I see, i missed that part. i didn't know that...

"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:01 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

no probs,
i think it was in mechanics 2 :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:14 pm 

oh well, one man can't know everything lol....

"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:25 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
I like the idea for suppressing fire.
My thoughts on it are the target loses it's next activation and then has to take a leadership like test to see if it loses it's second one. Matt said he needed to have the squad suppressed for more than one turn because he couldn't really do much in that single turn.
Apologies if this has been said before in any other post

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next