Movement Types

This is for topics that are out of date.
saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Movement Types

Post by saltinerunner45 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:38 pm

well 6th ed of 40k is suppose to add more focus to flying units, so maybe well be able to see what their doing next year and learn from that.

perhaps, because matt wants to remove counters as much as possible, there will be "flying bases" which would be similar to thunderhawk (i think its thunderhawk at least) bases, where they are similar to flying bases, only like 6 inches higher. this will remove arguing because you could clearly see where your models are. only downside i can see is that you would need 2 bases for your models if they are fliers....
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
"In the grim darkness of the future, there is only static grass." -Smurfyk
2000pts Tyranid

Wiouds
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Wiouds » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:32 pm

For hovering, I say it is just like normal movement. If the character is within the range of the cover and there is open space to use the cover then they should be able to get it.

For flying, I say they get their current defense change to the range of 20-29. Weapons also get a boost to their current offense. The current offense boost base on how well the weapon can be using on flying units.

What about falling?

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:17 pm

*facepalm* i knew i forgot something lol
i would say that for every 3" fallen one save must be made (assuming that its 28 scale) because that would be taller than the model. of corse this would be assuming that they are knocked off a cliff or whatever and not just climbing down. if the model is capable of flight or hovering, i would say something like a speed test (ive forgotten what the agreed upon stats are :oops: ) to see if they react and engage in flight before they hit the ground.
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
"In the grim darkness of the future, there is only static grass." -Smurfyk
2000pts Tyranid

Kris Knives
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Kris Knives » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Hmmm just a slightly different idea which just popped into my head:

Flight as a Skill

Flight is a movement type option available in DP. While flying units which are flying ignore all terrain except for rare Flight Impassible terrain (such as an Orbital Elevator which cannot be flown over). Units in flight cannot use cover and reduce the effectiveness of enemy cover by 1 level when attacking. Anytime a unit in flight is hit regardless of if they wound or not the unit must make a flight check or crash. A unit which crashes is instantly killed.

(Possible rules for using scattering to see where a unit crashes and assigning damage to anyone in the area)

Units in flight have some options when it comes to movement

Power Glide - Unit makes an easy flight check moves as a flyer but lands at the end of their turn.

Hover - Hovering units are any unit with remains in the air and moves less than 6 inches.

Flight - Any time a units moves more than 12" inches they are considered in flight and having the equivalent of light cover.

Special Flight Attacks Rules.

Strafe - Strafing is a special air attack. A unit must move 18 inches in there turn to strafe. If they do they can make attacks on anyone in within range of their flight path even if they would finish the move out of range of that unit. Strafing give units gain a save equivalent to their flight score vs. overatching units.

Bombing Run - Similar to a strafing run but allows a flyer with barrage weapons to attack any units in their flight path currently being suppressed (marked) by an allied unit. Units making bombing runs may ignore overwatch if they move 18 inches or more.

Death From Above –DFA is an attempt by the unit to drop out of the sky onto an enemy. Death from Above is a melee attack option so the flyer must finish its movement in melee range. The flyer must make a flight check to avoid crashing but if they do they gain they are considered charging (or gain some other bonus) for purposes of their melee attacks.

Dog Fights - Anytime two flyers are within 4" inches they are considered to be dog fighting. Both units must make flight checks each turn to avoid crashing.