Cover groups

This is for topics that are out of date.
Wiouds
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Cover groups

Post by Wiouds » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:37 pm

For my play test I came up with a number rules about cover. The first was that cover had a limited number that it could protect and a range that squad member must be in to use the cover. This work well can keep squad from forming lines behind cover so all will have the higher cover.

The second thing I did was to make what I called cover groups. Cover groups is when cover is place within range of other cover(s). Heavy cover has a larger range than light cover. Cover groups had a limits to the amount of cover could be place in it and a number of heavy cover that could be place in it. Although it is not refine, it shows promise. As I place more piece of cover while maintaining the cover group rules, I found there was a natural limit to the amount of cover that could be place.

Kris Knives

Re: Cover groups

Post by Kris Knives » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:07 pm

Observation: If cover has a limited number of units it can hold that is going to really deeply effect how certain armies play. Units with smaller groups are going to be able to take a much greater advantage of cover than larger armies. This isn't a good thing or a bad thing, just something to keep in mind as it effects what strategies will be available to certain factions.

Overall I think you are going in the right direction here. By putting a few rules down on cover like this it really moved the game away from being a defensive game all about hiding behind rocks and shooting wildly hoping for a lucky hit on your similarly hiding opponent.

Wiouds

Re: Cover groups

Post by Wiouds » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Having the limit also make cover place more apart of the game.

I played when neither side knew which side that they will start from. This made me want to place good cover but not perfect cover any place.

I can see something happen when an army with larger squads (Army 1) is playing an army with smaller squad (Army 2).

Army 1 will try to place cover so it larger squad and use the cover effectively but Army 2 will try to place the cover in a way that will cause the to cover group not to be able to handle the larger group easily.

Let also say that that Army 2 is more about moving its squads fast over open terrain but are slowed by other type of terrain.

Army 2 will try to place cover so it has a more open path so it can travel farther faster while Army 1 will try to place cover where those traveling in open train need to move around the cover.

This mean that the player are trying to place cover in places to favor their forces while trying make it less favorable to the enemy.

The reason I added the limit number that cover can protect is so squad of 6 mean does not all remain behind heavy cover even when the cover is just two units wide.

The rules for cover groups would need to be change for different type of scenarios. Like one where a squad need to hold off a large force until help arrives. For this the defender should be allowed to place cover more favorable since the defender will need it. Like they can place a number of heavy cover without them being part of any cover group before they place the rest.