goal too high to roll

This is for topics that are out of date.
Wiouds
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

goal too high to roll

Post by Wiouds » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:19 pm

How do you think it the game should handle if the number you need to get is too high to roll?

I say if the value is too high that you can not roll it then the roll fails no matter what. Let the player use a command point to remove an impossible attack.

Kris Knives

Re: goal too high to roll

Post by Kris Knives » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:41 pm

Could you give more details as to what sort of siutations you see as impossible attacks?

I think we need a to know what you are thinking a little bit more to discuss it. Try elaborating a bit more on how you see defense working that creates this sort of scenario.

I don't think all the rules of defense are in just yet seeing as the soft/hard counter system is still sort of vague.

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:26 pm

I am talking about if you need to roll a minimum 13 using only 2d6 or when you need to roll a 7 on a 1d6.

Kris Knives

Post by Kris Knives » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Yes but in what situations do you see this happening? Depending on the situation you might want to give people room to wiggle out of an impossible shot or make sure it hold firm.

Could you give me a scenario like:

Godzilla, whom has a natural armor of ten, it taking cover behind a shrub meaning you'll need 13 or better to hit.

Should your commander be able to use a command point to boost your rolls by 1 allowing people to possible hit Godzilla in this scenario?

If that is the question here I say yes. Player should be allowed to use command or other abilities to try breach an otherwise impossible defense.

The commander notices that Godzilla has a small exhaust port and theorizes a direct hit might cause Godzilla to explode. He instructs his troops to fire there and hopes for the best.

That said I don't think you should really run into this scenario very often in the game. Offense should in general have a way to trump defense in a fast high power game.

If someone has impossible defense behind cover, you should be able to throw a couple rockets which ignore cover that person's way or something like that. This scenario should only be in real dire situations where your forced to make a desperation move rather than a tactic you see regularly in a game to get through hard defenses.

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:39 pm

You truly never know if it is impossible until you look at the modifiers.

Let say a a squad of soldiers are attack with weapon power of 1 a Cover Beast whose armor is 8. The minimum number needed is seven on a 1d6.

Something like this:
Soldier:
Squad size: 4-6
Movement: 6"
Shooting Skill: 2
Defense: 10
Armour: 5
Hit Points: 1
Gun Strength: 1
Gun Range: 18"
Rate of Fire: 2
Command: 7

Cover Beast:
Squad size: 1
Movement: 3"
Shooting Skill: n/a
Defense: 11
Armour: 8
Hit Points: 3
Gun Strength: n/a
Gun Range: n/a
Rate of Fire: n/a
Command: 9
This acts as heavy cover for the units behind it.

Or

lets say that a forest zone will have a negative modifier to the 2d6 roll for how far you shoot through it.

Or

Let say after adding all the modifier the player need to roll a high number like 11 or 12 on a 2d6 while there second squad that need minimum of 7 to be hit.
Let say the player declare and attack of the first squad only to find out after comparing the modifiers that it would be hard to get a hit so the player want to stop out of it.

For these example, I say that before the die/dice are rolled then the player can pay to remove that shooting command.

Kris Knives

Post by Kris Knives » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Ah so you want a countermand option then?

Hmmm that doesn't really fit with how I see the game. I kind of thing of stuff like that as "the fog of war". I think if it along the same line as when to use a ruler instead of a hex grid. Sometimes with a ruler you might misjudge things, where as with hexes it is pretty much always clear. On the other hand though I can see how that could work and be tactical.

So I guess I would say while I see your point, it is a perfectly valid idea, and if Matt wanted to add the option it could be a sound part of the game, but personally it doesn't really appeals. I think the peril of walking into an impossible attack should just be part of the game play.

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:46 pm

I was also thinking of the times your target is not in range for an attack. This way they do not loss an attack but they suffer something.