An idea for hard counters

This is for topics that are out of date.
vanishing
MiniWarGaming Regular

An idea for hard counters

Post by vanishing » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:32 am

I was thinking about hard counters and stealth and had a thought. I know hard counters were dropped from consideration but could they be revived if units were initially deployed anonymously?

The idea is that your initial deployment would be placing unit tokens which don't represent any particular unit. The unit gets revealed when the enemy gets LOS on the token or if the token takes any action other than moving a standard amount, and players would only need to make the decision of what unit it is at the moment it's revealed. Additional tweaks might good: maybe giving the unit a save against being revealed if they are in cover, or any damage done against a unit revealing them (even if not in LOS) which gives indirect fire more potential uses.

In order to have a variety of units to use, each player would also be allowed to bring more troops than they are actually allowed to deploy. E.g. they would bring 300 points of troops to a 100 point game. I think both these numbers would need to be agreed on beforehand.

There are still issues with this. I could see a player with 5 tokens deploying 4 expensive units and discovering they don't have any unit cheap enough to deploy for the fifth token. There might need to be multiple types of anonymous tokens for radically different units like vehicles, which would reduce the tactical advantage of anonymity. I haven't thought much about these cases; I wanted to see what the community's opinion was.

I think this would add an interesting stage to the game where both players are trying to grab good positions without being revealed and trying to reveal their opponents tokens to reduce their ability to respond. It could also give unusual armies like the animals another way to go toe-to-toe with shooty armies, by using spotter units to reveal the enemy and better plan a counter.

Obviously there is a lot more that needs to be worked out. Is this an idea worth pursuing?

Wiouds
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: An idea for hard counters

Post by Wiouds » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:19 pm

That sounds like a good advance rule.

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by slaughtergames » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:00 pm

stealth also uses tokens. that pretty much kills this idea...
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

DacoTrilar
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by DacoTrilar » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Sounds like a cool idea, you should try putting together some solid rules for it.