Terrain and Cover

This is for topics that are out of date.
Wiouds
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Terrain and Cover

Post by Wiouds » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Lets talk about terrain and cover.

I think that they should be different. I mean that terrain should be land scape or large object while cover be small thing like broken walls, rocks and so on.

Tmb
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.

Re: Terrain and Cover

Post by Tmb » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:41 am

terrain can make them harder to hit while cover gives them more defense.

When I say harder to hit i mean that the terrain makes them harder to see.

This may be to specific though...

Then they can just be the be same.
The Sky holds the Storm Rain Mist Lightning Cloud and the Sun all in harmony

evilgreenthing
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by evilgreenthing » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:57 pm

I think there should be something like difficult terrian, where they half there movement, or something
sincerely EGT

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:12 pm

i agree, but maybe area terrain would work like "area terrain" in 40k (gasp!) what i mean is that the base is the size of it, and depending on what it is there will be diffrent effects. it may be dangerous, difficult, work like a psychic hood, maybe it heals you, etc.
cover should just be something that you can hide behind (im thinking TLOS)
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
"In the grim darkness of the future, there is only static grass." -Smurfyk
2000pts Tyranid

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:50 pm

What about cover on/in terrain?

How would terrain placement be different for cover and terrain?

What special rules would you like to add?

Are they any problem that you can see?

Any other concerns you have about terrain and/or cover as apart of the field?

As I was saying large placement like buildings should be though of as terrain. I can see area also be terrain like forests. I say placement terrain should come with their own rules about cover and firing arcs.

I do not think that area terrain be something that affect current defense. (current defense is defense an squad will have in combat.)

The reason for that is I say cover should be allowed to be place in area terrain. Like a fallen log for cover in a forest area.

I like the ideal that the player get so many pieces of cover and take turn placing them.

It would be great if the players can make or alter the cover but I understand that would add more to keep track over while playing the game.

evilgreenthing

Post by evilgreenthing » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:15 am

terrian could easily have cover in it. You get the effects of the terrian, and the defense bonus of the cover
sincerely EGT

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am

when setting up cover/terrain, i would say agree on an ammount of both, then take turns adding a piece. as an extra rule, i would say that you can modify 1 piece of terrain or cover each after deployment (adds an extra element of strategy)
i think it would be simple to place cover on terrain as its 2 diffrent types of rules
Wiouds wrote:As I was saying large placement like buildings should be though of as terrain. I can see area also be terrain like forests.
as for the buildings, i can see where your coming from, but you could have an intact building, a ruin, a parking garage like structure. point being there are many diffrent rules that could be used, we just need to get the major ones down (assuming this is a good idea and people like it lol)
and, using this idea, you could have a forest without area terrain if you wanted to. either just a bunch of separate trees, or maybe just an area terrain type that does nothing.
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
"In the grim darkness of the future, there is only static grass." -Smurfyk
2000pts Tyranid

slaughtergames

Post by slaughtergames » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:39 am

1.)i agree that terrain would be placed in a taking-turns style, but one problem that i see is that some long-ranged army could just bunker up in a corner, which isn't fun..
to solve that here's an idea off the top of my head:
divide the board into 3-4 parts(lengthwise) and then there has to be an equal amount of terrain in each sector

2.)the players could also just decide on a cover level for every piece of terrain:
none-light-heavy

and then we have to work out what "terrain" means;
-impede movement(?)
-change charging distances(?)

i wouldn't like to agree with terrain that heals you... it's just a few hundred years in the future, i don't think that there will be a "insertnamehere" forest that heals you (like in WHFB)
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

evilgreenthing

Post by evilgreenthing » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:10 am

No, but theyr could be an abandonded doctors office, of hospitol
sincerely EGT

slaughtergames

Post by slaughtergames » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:59 pm

@evilgreenthing: yeah, come to think of it, that would be nice... but i still don't see it as getting dead models back... maybe if they got killed in that building..

@everyone: maybe something if we incorporate the wound thing... (if you don't know what that means go to the topic "what about wounding a squad member")
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:38 pm

I do like the ideal that there are fix places that can help a side if they get them. That way it reward those that does move.

I do like the ideal of wounded unit can recover in places.

I was thinking after the players place all the cover, they then roll 2d6. The player with the highest can pick if they want to go first or which starting area they get. Then the next highest score get to pick what they want.

What about zones that have their own rules. Like a building that extend a commander range or increase CP count, having a no cover zone around it.

slaughtergames

Post by slaughtergames » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:33 am

i see we're getting all kinds of nice ideas here, but weren't we just trying to figure out differences between terrain and cover? what special things might or might nodo is something that we don't have to worry about yet...

though if we are going to discuss terrain effects, i suggest that some terrain would counduct a movement penalty(?)
"waaaagh!"
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:10 am

I am just trying to get all discussion of cover and terrain rule into one place. We are at a stand still in combat.

I say that like the forest decrease weapons' range, increase stealth but dies not affect current defense.

evilgreenthing

Post by evilgreenthing » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:04 pm

I think forest would give a small def bonus, like +1 or 2
sincerely EGT

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:37 pm

The reason that I think that area terrain should not give cover is because cover can be place in them and it would not good to have two cover added.

I say saying that instead of affect the defense it affect the range of shooting through it. It still add to the defense; just not to the current defense.