COMMAND POINTS

This is for topics that are out of date.
LLeRRoux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: COMMAND POINTS

Post by LLeRRoux » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:01 pm

Well, the way I see it, there will probably be some awesome special powers/abilities which will require CPs, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be useable for additionnal actions aswell.

jwerulez
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by jwerulez » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:44 pm

evilgreenthing wrote:I dont think command points should be an extremly central part to the game, because if we do, it will ened up being warmachine, except without the giant awesome machines. I think that the points should be used for special actions. My idea is that some units or solos would have powers that require CP to activate. this activation would replace the shooting/ and or move actions that the unit could do that turn
This is really like what i was aiminng for, but the specials action only can replace the shooting

evilgreenthing
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by evilgreenthing » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:19 pm

I think that some powers would replace movement, like a power for an animal pack that allows it to move 6' then leap 4 then assualt with a bonus, this would take up a move and an attack action
sincerely EGT

Kris Knives
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Kris Knives » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:00 am

Wiouds wrote:I would be careful about making the command points being a pool system that allow the units to take action. Even right now there is a good amount the player need to remember about squads like which squad had be activated, which is in overwatch and which is suppressed. I say each squad gets to move and another action per turn.

I was thinking that command points are for enhancement and counter. One thing I would say cost command point is if you need to roll something like a 13 to get 1 hit then you pay command points to stop the attack. If a squad is suppressed then some faction can pay to make the squad no longer suppressed.
Sorry Slaughter but I think Wiouds really hit the nail on the head here.

Also on a side notelike evilgreenthing said I think command point should be a smaller more subtle effect otherwise we might as well not have DP powers and just have command abilities.
LLeRRoux wrote:Well, the way I see it, there will probably be some awesome special powers/abilities which will require CPs
So are you thinking like DP solo units will need to eat up command points to use their abilities or something like that?

LLeRRoux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by LLeRRoux » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:20 am

Either that or it could replace shooting instead.

I'm not saying I'm completely against command points being a number buffer instead of an action currency, but in my opinion, it wouldn't feel quite as tactical as enhancing the units' turn.

I'm sorry if I misunderstand your point of view.

Kris Knives

Post by Kris Knives » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:41 am

LLeRRoux wrote:Either that or it could replace shooting instead.

I'm not saying I'm completely against command points being a number buffer instead of an action currency, but in my opinion, it wouldn't feel quite as tactical as enhancing the units' turn.

I'm sorry if I misunderstand your point of view.
No worries I'm just asking to try and get a better idea of your PoV.

So would you say that adding solos and other DP unit should add to your command points or should it be a hard limit based on the point value of your army or something else all together?

LLeRRoux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by LLeRRoux » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:52 am

I think commanding solos should each have a certain number of commands points. So one solo could have 7 points at his disposal while another could have 3, but better stats or abilities.

evilgreenthing

Post by evilgreenthing » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:38 pm

I dont think that solos should have CP, but rather that leaders have them, and that they give them out to the solos to use at the biginging of their turn
sincerely EGT

LLeRRoux
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by LLeRRoux » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Yeqh, that's what I meant. Commanders, not just any solo.

evilgreenthing

Post by evilgreenthing » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:35 pm

kk, just checking
sincerely EGT

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:16 am

Andrewviloo wrote:I was playing with 4 squad on each side and I lost track of what squad has been activated, which squad is in overwatch, and which has been suppressed. That is a good amount to keep track of. I do not want to deal with pool(s) from a number of squads while trying to keep track of current squads action.
This game need markers for the activated squads, overwatch, suppressed and anything else.

I did a play test with command points being used to end an attacks that are impossible to do, some powers need command points, and a few other things. I also had it where only the current commander make so many CP for a single turn. I found some important things. Having a single source of CP is a great way to balance the cost of powers and make it easy to keep track of CP. I do not think we need a second system for the DP powers.

evilgreenthing

Post by evilgreenthing » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:36 pm

Yes, A single source of CP shoudl be how it works. It makes things much simpler
sincerely EGT