Bandit Faction Idea (Slaves)

This is for topics that are out of date.
Poiabc
Now we're getting somewhere...

Bandit Faction Idea (Slaves)

Post by Poiabc » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:18 am

I understand that it is waaaay too early in the process of designing this game to be coming up with any specific faction-based abilities, but this idea popped into my head and I'll probably forget about it if I don't get it posted now. Here's hoping it doesn't get lost in the morass! :wink:

Based on the quasi-philisophical nature of the Bandits as they stand, one can obviously see them having little value over human life. I can personally envision them taking slaves into combat with them, dubbing them "Weak Links", and throwing them in front of oncoming fire.

While this would obviously need to be balanced point wise, the majority of foot slogging squads in the Bandit faction could have an option to take a number of slave, or "Weak Link" models with them. These models have no wounds, can make no attacks, don't count for determining line of sight or number men in a squad, and all "flee" (IE are removed from the board) when the squad is killed. However, whenever a squad with "Weak Links" is targeted for an attack, (Only shooting, not assault) but before any dice are rolled, the Bandit player could opt to remove a number of slave models in order to grant the squad a cover bonus to defense for each model removed. (In effect: MEAT SHIELDS!)

This would also pave the way for a slaver squad, that "captures" a number of models it kills during an assault, depending on how well they roll.

Seriously, what bandit wants to spend his time hunkered down behind a wall, when you can take a much more fun wall with you?

m-v-o
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Bandit Faction Idea (Slaves)

Post by m-v-o » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:13 pm

is ant that just another way of counting wounds tho
for gork and mork

CptYellow
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by CptYellow » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:04 pm

It actually sounds more like a form of deployable cover, and sounds quite hilarious actually. I like it.

Poiabc
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Poiabc » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:15 pm

CptYellow has the gist of it. M-v-o, when faced against the basic squad given in the "Rules so Far", you would be entirely correct. Against this squad, each point of defense is effectively an additional "wound" with average rolls. For example:

Squad of 5 fires. Rolls 7. Total roll is 7 + 2 + 5 = 14. Compare to Defense of target of 12(2 "Weak Links" sacrificed). Scored 14 - 12 = 2. Rolls 2 x 2 (RoF) = 4 dice. Rolls 2 wounds (normal loss would be for with no cover.)

Even if we give the same squad of units a gun with a rate of fire of 4, we'll get the same result.

(No "Weak Link" bonus) Squad of 5 fires. Rolls 7. Total roll is 7 + 2 + 5 = 14. Compare to Defense of target of 10. Scored 14 - 10 = 4. Rolls 4 x 4 (RoF) = 12 dice. Needs to get Armour 5 - Strength 1, so 4 or higher to kill. Rolls 6 wounds on average.

(Additional "Weak Link" defensive bonus) Squad of 5 fires. Rolls 7. Total roll is 7 + 2 + 5 = 14. Compare to Defense of target of 12(2 "Weak Links" sacrificed). Scored 14 - 12 = 2. Rolls 2 x 4 (RoF) = 8 dice. Needs to get Armour 5 - Strength 1, so 4 or higher to kill. Rolls 4 wounds on average.

It would appear that defense correlates point for point to wounds in both scenarios. (If this has already been noted elsewhere in the forums, I haven't been here long enough to read through everything.) The only difference between static cover and the "Weak Links" is that static cover mechanically counts as constantly regenerating wounds, while the "Weak Links" would not. So in a round-about way, the "Weak Links" would act as additional wounds that feel like a cover bonus. Which, if you don't think about it, feels fine. It mechanically does exactly what it was intended to do, provides temporary cover in open positions to increase survivability of the squad.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could show a scenario with average rolls in which the number of slaves sacrificed doesn't directly correlate with the number of wounds saved, either by messing with the opposing squad's abilities or the bonus per sacrificed slave. And please excuse my rambling. :wink: