Playtest turn mechanics, am I doing this wrong?

This is for topics that are out of date.
griffinthemad
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Playtest turn mechanics, am I doing this wrong?

Post by griffinthemad » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:33 pm

I've done some play testing and have noticed something.

What was used:
Player A
4 squads with 3 units in each squad
Shooting Skill: 2
Defense: 10
Weapon: Pistol (2 shot)
Armor: 5

Player B
2 squads 6 units each squad
Shooting Skill: 2
Defense: 10
Weapon: Pistol (2 shot)
Armor: 5

Turn sequence as I understand it, is player rolls for initiative and activates a single squad. Then the other player activates a squad.

The player with more units then moves their squads freely after the opponent makes all activations they can?

They way it was played out:
Player A won initiative.

Player A activates 1A and suppressive fires squad 1B successfuly

Player B activates 2B and attacks squad 1A killing 2

*Now Player A is free to move the rest of their units until the turn is up? Player B's squads have both of their activations used up and Player A can now move the other three units.

Player A activates 2A and 3A and 4A all attacking 1B killing 4

*Now all units have activated, is there another roll for initiative or does the first roll stand? If it does Player A starts suppressive fire again on 1B and it more or less repeats.

We played a few and each time the player with move squads was winning, one game Player A flanked 3 squads on Player B's squad and just kept the first squad suppressed. The best was when the suppression failed and Player B managed to take out a squad and another unit from a squad but, still lost in the end.
FORUM GAMES
Magnus the Red Victorious Primarch in Final Battle of the Primarchs
The Tyranid Hive Tyrant Victorious in The Supreme Battle of Heroes
Cypher The Fallen Angel Victorious in Battle to be the Herald of Chaos!

wasaw47
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Playtest turn mechanics, am I doing this wrong?

Post by wasaw47 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:28 pm

well for the turns i think you should roll to see who gets first turn, and then you alternate. so on turn 2 player B would get to activate 1st.

i think that for the turns you are doing it right, with player A getting to activate 3 units in a row.

maybe you could try having player B have 2 units of 3 and one unit of 6, or 3 units of 4, to make it more fair.

overall i think this shows us the advantage of bringing multiple small squads over bringing few large squads.

folifurieuz
Silver Vault Member

Re: Playtest turn mechanics, am I doing this wrong?

Post by folifurieuz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:28 am

I think the reason why you feel something is wrong is that the cost of a squad is not necessarily the sum of its parts. That is to say, in terms of points cost, a squad of three might not cost half as much as a squad of six. Seeing as a base squad of 3 would not only give you three dudes on the board but a new activation, it should be worth more than just the price of each individual dude.

Supposing a squad of 3 cost 10 points, but adding someone to the squad only cost 1 point, then in a 40 point game, player A would have had 4 squads of 3 (as per your game) but player B could have had 3 squads of 6 with a point to spare, giving a significant numbers advantage (4x3=12 vs 3x6=18): he could have just shrugged off the few casualties he got and powered through with his 6 extra guns.

So yeah, the price of the squad should reflect the fact that it gives a player more than just 3 more dudes; it gives the player the capacity to act.
Everybody is people.