Overwatch

This is for topics that are out of date.
Wiouds
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Overwatch

Post by Wiouds » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:35 pm

TheTemplar wrote:
Wiouds wrote:Mu problem with the 90 degree is the fact that it is a second measuring that is needed. Dice rolling and measuring are they two biggest red flag I have in the game and I like to minimize them.
Well sorry but if you have a problem with rolling dice you might find it quite difficult to get into any miniature games...
What I mean by measuring and dice rolling are red flags is that they are area that can easily have something unwanted happen. In other words that are they are areas that are likely to have problem arise while in middle of the game. When making a game it is a good ideal to minimize these possible risks.

slaughtergames

Post by slaughtergames » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:41 pm

well i understand that measurements raise arguments, (it happens to me a lot) but why do dice rolls get a "red flag"?
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Red flag is not just about a arguments but other unwanted action to happen.

Dice taking down models.
Ever played with a person who dice rolling rituals include bouncing off the most item or sending the dice to odd location?

Captain-Shawn
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Captain-Shawn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:36 am

I like the Overwatch rules as is but I would like to see a slight modification to the rules.

The unit has a set overwatch vision range in their profile deciding how far their 90 degree radius can reach, measure accordingly. Individual units can possess additional wargear that increases either their range or radius of overwatch.

For instance, say Corporation Squad sees Bandit Squad at 40" away. The Coropration squad has a natural visual range of 30" and thus they can't naturally pick out the Bandit squad, they're just figures shuffling in the distance and no one wants to take a chance and shoot a friendly. But wait! The squad has scopes that increase their sight range by an additional 10", now the Bandits can be spotted. Or say Animals are sneaking up on Reclaimers, but the Reclaimer's and their fancy suits are upgraded with motion trackers giving them a short 360 overwatch radius, no animals are sneaking up on them today!

This I think would create an interesting decision in players to spend extra points on Overwatch specific wargear or on something else like grenades. This would also make throw in a tactical decision of weapon range and sight range when considering loadouts and who to have overwatch.
"Why did the Necromancer kill everyone in the tavern? He wanted to raise the bar!"

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:08 am

After a few play test I found that 90 degree for overwatch seem to be too high. With the rules that I have used which I have posted overwatch is by far a power (many be a little too powerful) tool.

sillinde
Silver Vault Member

Post by sillinde » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:57 am

I know it's my first post, and that I haven't looked over all the rules yet (been listening to the fluff videoes while working this week and really enjoying it) but I was somewhat surprised at overwatch. Now, I haven't done any playtesting, although I might try with a friend later on.

Last game I played with overwatch was Warzone and it created some serious playing issues. Since cover is so important it will cause players to do two things: One; try to get into cover and stay in cover as much as possible. Two; catch the opponent outside of cover.

Overwatch can force a stalemate with neither opponent wanting to move forward (they'll be gunned down) and depending on the setup and skills avaliable no way of breaking said stalemate. Now, I hope and assume most setups will have ways of breaking stalemates. There are several ways obviously, special characters could have lots of ways of doing this. Either attacks that disrupt units, like breaking overwatch and other actions, or having units trained with skills like tactical advance. Aka being able to swiftly move from cover to cover, most likely this would be well trained infantry designed to break holes in enemy lines or somesuch.

Also, will melee units get something akin to overwatch? Like, ambush? Where they can intercept enemies as they move close.

Sorry for spelling mistakes, english isn't my native language.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:03 pm

Good points everyone.

I am currently finishing the new set of Alpha rules which will be ready to play test in the next couple of weeks (they are basic, but will get us on the right track).

I think I found a solution to Overwatch's problems, while not eliminating it from the game.

I won't discuss it here though as it involves explaining other rules.