Overwatch

This is for topics that are out of date.
Wiouds
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Overwatch

Post by Wiouds » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:01 pm

What if there is not one but three type of overwatch:
Overwatch move this where the unit is waiting to attack the enemies when they move.
Overwatch suppressing this is where a unit is waiting to us suppressing an enemy unit. You can still suppress normally.
overwatch crossfire this is where a unit waits to join another unit in firing at the enemies.

Just to let you know that overwatch sounds like Operation Darkness cover system.

novakidx
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Overwatch

Post by novakidx » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:10 am

I think having three types of overwatch would just bog down the game and make it too complex

overwatch-crossfire sounds ridiculous honestly
it's like
A you need to have unit 1 in overwatch
B you need to have unit 2 in overwatch
C you need the opponent to be in the right situation for crossfire [behind cover right?]
D your squads must have the correct arc [like 90. or something]
E the enemy needs to be in the overwatch arc [admittedly not that hard]
but you'd need the enemy to be in both arcs of overwatch [squad 1 and 2]
F you need to have unit 1 activate crossfire
G unit 2 and unit 1 do crossfire

I did love operation darkness though
if i had a x-box i'd play it...i don't remember the gameplay very well

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:21 am

i think that you should be able to charge into combat if your close enough rather than just be able to shoot when overwatch is triggered. i dont see the animal faction having many guns, and im sure the bandits and maybe even the x'lanthos slaves would appreciate this option.
granted, the model would have to move within charging range for this to work.
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
"In the grim darkness of the future, there is only static grass." -Smurfyk
2000pts Tyranid

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:02 am

novakidx wrote:I think having three types of overwatch would just bog down the game and make it too complex

overwatch-crossfire sounds ridiculous honestly
it's like
A you need to have unit 1 in overwatch
B you need to have unit 2 in overwatch
C you need the opponent to be in the right situation for crossfire [behind cover right?]
D your squads must have the correct arc [like 90. or something]
E the enemy needs to be in the overwatch arc [admittedly not that hard]
but you'd need the enemy to be in both arcs of overwatch [squad 1 and 2]
F you need to have unit 1 activate crossfire
G unit 2 and unit 1 do crossfire

I did love operation darkness though
if i had a x-box i'd play it...i don't remember the gameplay very well
Only one squad does into overwatch.
That 90 rules is bad so I say remove that.
The over watch arc is worthless and does nothing to improve the game so remove that.
The enemies do not need to be in cover

Here how cross fire works for this.
The pick a squad to go into cross fire overwatch or joint fire
Then squad wait until an another squad fire at an enemy in a 360 range and they join in.
For the attack you get to add the better shooting skill to add to the roll and both squad size. Also, your limit is now both squads.
If the rate of is the same just use that. if they are different just take the middle between then rounder up.
The same for the weapon power.

griffinthemad
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by griffinthemad » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:05 am

Wiouds wrote:What if there is not one but three type of overwatch:
Overwatch move this where the unit is waiting to attack the enemies when they move.
Overwatch suppressing this is where a unit is waiting to us suppressing an enemy unit. You can still suppress normally.
overwatch crossfire this is where a unit waits to join another unit in firing at the enemies.

Just to let you know that overwatch sounds like Operation Darkness cover system.
Wouldn't this require 3 types of markers for overwatch also?

No go... too many markers.
FORUM GAMES
Magnus the Red Victorious Primarch in Final Battle of the Primarchs
The Tyranid Hive Tyrant Victorious in The Supreme Battle of Heroes
Cypher The Fallen Angel Victorious in Battle to be the Herald of Chaos!

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:55 am

Yeah, I agree, that would be too much.

I think overwatch the way it is works perfectly, and you will find it useful despite what you might think.

wasaw47
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by wasaw47 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:49 pm

what i don't like about overwatch is that it dissuades the enemy from moving his units, as well as preventing you from moving your own (the ones in overwatch). Matt wants this game to reward good positioning but i think it should also reward good maneuvering, to prevent people from sitting back behind cover all game. it makes a much more interesting game when both players are trying to outflank to negate cover, charge into CC, grab objectives, get into crossfire position (if we keep crossfire...), etc.

what do you guys think?

DacoTrilar
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by DacoTrilar » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:00 pm

wasaw47 wrote:what i don't like about overwatch is that it dissuades the enemy from moving his units, as well as preventing you from moving your own (the ones in overwatch). Matt wants this game to reward good positioning but i think it should also reward good maneuvering, to prevent people from sitting back behind cover all game. it makes a much more interesting game when both players are trying to outflank to negate cover, charge into CC, grab objectives, get into crossfire position (if we keep crossfire...), etc.

what do you guys think?
I think overwatch is very good for holding those good positions once you get them and for supporting your other troops moving forward. It also requires good positioning to pull off well, so I think it is a lot better then you think.

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:18 am

i agree with daco, but the thing to remember is that everything were working on right now is like the alpha for the alpha lol, but the time everybody has playtested this to death, we will know if this is too powerful, and then scale back as needed.
but as i said, i think the mechanic works quite well as is.
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
2000pts Tyranid

TheTemplar
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by TheTemplar » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:36 am

Wiouds wrote:
Only one squad does into overwatch.
That 90 rules is bad so I say remove that.
The over watch arc is worthless and does nothing to improve the game so remove that.
The enemies do not need to be in cover

Here how cross fire works for this.
The pick a squad to go into cross fire overwatch or joint fire
Then squad wait until an another squad fire at an enemy in a 360 range and they join in.
For the attack you get to add the better shooting skill to add to the roll and both squad size. Also, your limit is now both squads.
If the rate of is the same just use that. if they are different just take the middle between then rounder up.
The same for the weapon power.
360 degree overwatch range is ridiculous. I think between 90 and 180 max. You could have equipment that increased the overwatch arc if you so wished (from 90 to 180 or whatever). But overwatch is different to suppression so two squads should not be needed to use overwatch effectively...
Black Templars - 3000+ points
Owned
[||||||||||]
Assembled
[||||||||||]
Painted
[||||||||||]

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:37 pm

TheTemplar wrote: 360 degree overwatch range is ridiculous. I think between 90 and 180 max. You could have equipment that increased the overwatch arc if you so wished (from 90 to 180 or whatever). But overwatch is different to suppression so two squads should not be needed to use overwatch effectively...
i agree with all of this. even if an animal has 360 degree vision, if he is on overwatch he will be focusing in a specific area (represented by 180 degree vision)
2000pts Tyranid

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:41 pm

Mu problem with the 90 degree is the fact that it is a second measuring that is needed. Dice rolling and measuring are they two biggest red flag I have in the game and I like to minimize them.

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:00 am

well i was picturing a mix between a protractor and a compass (the one that looks like 2 legs, not the magnetic kind). when closed as far as it could go, it would be at 90 degrees, but it could be unfolded up to 180, measuring all the way. all you would have to do is say "ok, 120 degrees overwatch" measure it out on the protractor and line up your model. if your enemy may be within range, just drop the protractor back down and see, hardly any different from looking at LOS at that point.
2000pts Tyranid

TheTemplar
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by TheTemplar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:47 am

Wiouds wrote:Mu problem with the 90 degree is the fact that it is a second measuring that is needed. Dice rolling and measuring are they two biggest red flag I have in the game and I like to minimize them.
Well sorry but if you have a problem with rolling dice you might find it quite difficult to get into any miniature games...
Black Templars - 3000+ points
Owned
[||||||||||]
Assembled
[||||||||||]
Painted
[||||||||||]

slaughtergames

Post by slaughtergames » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:02 pm

on one hand i would keep overwatch nice and simple.... just 90 degrees..

but we could also say like
-precise overwatch (small arc, like 45 degrees but +1 or 2 skill)
-general overwatch (regular arc, like 90 degrees but no bonus, maybe small neg. modifier)
-wide overwatch (135 degrees but -1 or 2 shooting skill)

wadda ya think?
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"