Stealth

This is for topics that are out of date.
miniwargaming
Site Admin

Stealth

Post by miniwargaming » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:45 pm

In the last DPDD I briefly talked about the idea for stealth as a mechanic.

I don't want it to play a huge roll, but it would be fun if there were certain solos in each army that could do it to some degree.

Here is how I see it working:

1. There are different levels of stealth.

Low level: basic camouflage (e.g. a sniper's really good camo gear)
Mid level: high tech camouflage (e.g. a suit that changes colours according to what's behind it)
High level: invisibility

2. Each level would have a Stealth stat

Low level: 4
Mid level: 6
High level: 8

3. Each stealthed solo has 3-5 numbered markers that represent where they might be.

The controlling player notes which one is the real person.

4. If an enemy can draw Line of Sight (LOS) to a marker then a Stealth roll has to be made.

Roll 2d6. Must roll equal to or lower than the Stealth stat.

Modifiers:

Short range (0-10"): -4 to Stealth
Medium range (10-20"): -2 to Stealth
Long range (20+"): no modifier

If failed, then must reveal if it was a decoy or not. If decoy, remove from board, otherwise leave marker (don't need to place miniature).

5. Automatically revealed if takes any action other than moving (e.g. firing, entering overwatch).

Remove all decoys.

6. Only have to replace with miniature in certain situations.

For example, high level cloaking might only last the first 2-3 rounds. Low level cloaking only works until first detected.

Each type of cloak would have a special "place miniature when _____" rule.

Thoughts?

novakidx
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Stealth

Post by novakidx » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 pm

I see how it works and how it could fool people who are facing stealth

I just hate the idea of "get 5 bases and mark them"

I'd rather it just work using 1 base where the enemy still doesn't know what model type it is and the enemy cannot attack it without huge penalties [or not even being able to attack at high stealth levels]
unless they uncloak by being discovered or attacking

now if a unit can deploy decoys [ie: holograms if they exist...or cloaked robots ect.]
then i woulden't mind using multiple bases

just using 5 bases to track a model in stealth dosen't make sense to me..then again that's just my opinion

CptYellow
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by CptYellow » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:44 pm

The five basis are so that the other player doesn't know where your model is on the playing field. It's actually quite ingenious if you ask me.

I would only suggest that there be some form of corresponding marker to place under the mini that is in stealth. This way, there is no chance for those dreaded "Cheating" situations.

maybe reduce the number of markers for lower levels as well (if it seems OP)

CptYellow
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by CptYellow » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:47 pm

I also think that the model itself should be made known to the other player in order to ensure legal army composition.

I really like this idea and think that you've already got an excellent way of making it work.

Cow
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Cow » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:27 am

It would be really awesome if each base was essentially a clone of the actual model stat-wise. The player would move each base in accordance with the real unit's movement rules and stats and stuff. Of course only move type actions would be permitted with stealthed stuff.

The opponent would be able to shoot (and other verbs) at the invisible bases if they wanted. This would happen normally, as the bases are exactly the actual model.

If they scored a kill, or force the invisi-base to retreat or be suppressed or whatever, the controlling player would still "play along" and either remove it (for a kill) or put a suppress token (for supression) or have it perform retreating actions (for retreating) and etcetera.

Of course, in the case of a kill the oponent would notice that you hadn't removed the other bases (which I think is sometihng you should have to do in the case of a real kill) and so would be certain they didn't kill the real one.

Its sounds great in my head, what do any of you think?
My wine coaster is a blast template.

My Tank is Fight!

My other shirt has a Psychic Hood

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:36 am

simple idea, but would every cloaked individual have a number of stealth tokens/models they put down?
if it isnt, maybe we could just say you get 1/2 of your stealth level in tokens/models?
low: 2 markers
mid: 3 markers
high: 4 markers
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
"In the grim darkness of the future, there is only static grass." -Smurfyk
2000pts Tyranid

Wiouds
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Wiouds » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:55 am

The player place stealth tokens around the unit that is to use stealth. The number of token is base on how stealthy the unit is. While using stealth, the unit’s max MP is reduced and the remaining MPs are shared among the tokens.

(I am using MP to stand for the cost to move one unit on flat land.)

novakidx
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by novakidx » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:31 am

that'd be pretty interesting if the stealth "tokens" have to share movement with the original

farmerbrown
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by farmerbrown » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:10 pm

I really like the idea but I don't understand why it would be impossible to enter overwatch while in stealth mode. Why can't it be that you can declare overwatch and then as soon as you want to shoot you have to show where the model is?
Nobody is innocent, there are merely varying levels of guilt.

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:28 pm

I can see overwatch working only if the player can choose if the stealth character will act on the overwatch.

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:05 pm

will stealth units TRIGGER overwatch? i would assume so, but would there be a modifier to detecting the stealthed unit?
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
"In the grim darkness of the future, there is only static grass." -Smurfyk
2000pts Tyranid

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:16 pm

farmerbrown wrote:I really like the idea but I don't understand why it would be impossible to enter overwatch while in stealth mode. Why can't it be that you can declare overwatch and then as soon as you want to shoot you have to show where the model is?
If they can, then they have to mark which direction they're facing, so that would give away which model is the real one.
saltinerunner45 wrote:will stealth units TRIGGER overwatch? i would assume so, but would there be a modifier to detecting the stealthed unit?
If they enter LOS of the overwatching unit then they need to make a stealth check. If they are revealed then the overwatching unit can act.

Wiouds

Post by Wiouds » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:05 pm

I do not really like the ideal that you can only use over watch in the direction you are facing.

Beside there no telling which direction the stealth unit is face so what good is marking where the stealth unit face when doing an over watch?

farmerbrown
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by farmerbrown » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:13 pm

miniwargaming wrote:
farmerbrown wrote:I really like the idea but I don't understand why it would be impossible to enter overwatch while in stealth mode. Why can't it be that you can declare overwatch and then as soon as you want to shoot you have to show where the model is?
If they can, then they have to mark which direction they're facing, so that would give away which model is the real one.
Oh yeah.. :oops:
Nobody is innocent, there are merely varying levels of guilt.

DacoTrilar
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by DacoTrilar » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:37 am

miniwargaming wrote:
Why don't you just let the 5 markers act separately. So, you could put a decoy marker on overwatch, with the facing template, and the other 4 markers act separately. Stealth should only go away when you have to trigger overwatch. Am I missing something?