Supressive Fire

This is for topics that are out of date.
Font
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Supressive Fire

Post by Font » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Matt <3s firing and watching people duck under cover like little Babys.

Now, agreed this makes all natural sense, But someone who is Supressed, is to the point where quite literally, they're hugging the ground, wall, whatever it is to the point where they don't have the gall to look out, So i believe this should make them not shoot for one activation, unless a CP is used to intervene. Also.

I think certain covers should give Bonuses to Suppressed people. If i'm inside a stone clad bunker, and i'm supressed. that will only work so effectively, so Half fire makes sense in that situation, Where behind a small wall out in the open, No way in chance am i sticking my head out there!

Any ideas?

Gabrel
Now we're getting somewhere...

Re: Supressive Fire

Post by Gabrel » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:51 pm

What would happen when A + B vs C

C supresses A then B supresses C. would that mean that C's supression is negated?

This could also mean that this could go on for a while until the last guy can shoot normaly.

Tmb
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.

Post by Tmb » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:07 pm

When a unit is suppresed instead of shooting they can blind fire, twice the amount of bullets at half the accuracy.

Or it could be you get one die instead of 2, so if they are behind cover you probably wont do anything...

Or it could be that you get twice as many shots, but at half accuracy and half strength (if gun strength is one you call only wound on a 6)

Thoughts?
The Sky holds the Storm Rain Mist Lightning Cloud and the Sun all in harmony

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:08 pm

i think same ammount of shots with 1/2 accuracy would work. i mean your shots are gonna be WILD, so extra shots arnt really gonna count. i feel the 1/2 accuracy is self explanatory lol
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
"In the grim darkness of the future, there is only static grass." -Smurfyk
2000pts Tyranid

Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phatty » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:57 pm

i had a few thoughts on this:

1) instead of wounds, they would reduce the suppressed squads range weapon skill. if it drops to 0 none of the units can shoot

2) instead of wounds, the number of wounds would be the number of units in that squad that could not fire the next round. ex suppressor wins by 2 so the next turn 2 less units can fire from that squad.

Font
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Font » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:18 pm

Suppressive fire should also be something easy to lay down, As most people aren't fearless and Matt said he didn't want to incorporate fearless. It should be pretty straight forward and simple to do, Just not a broken mechanic in that it's stronger than firing normally.

Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phatty » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:12 am

Font wrote:Suppressive fire should also be something easy to lay down, As most people aren't fearless and Matt said he didn't want to incorporate fearless. It should be pretty straight forward and simple to do, Just not a broken mechanic in that it's stronger than firing normally.
assuming suppressive fire cant kill anything, shouldnt be more effective than normal firing?

Font
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Font » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:56 am

Yes but you're looking at the small picture, Big picture is this

My 3 man squad lays SF down on a 5 man enemy squad.

Now i took 3 guys, and disabled 5. That's now a two man advantage, Suppressive fire is going to be tricky to make worth while, and knowing when to use abilitys and how to move everything is all the point of the game. Main reason i'm in <3 with DP. It's playstyle. Realism -Thumbs Up-

Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phatty » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:52 pm

i think i know what you mean. why suppress when you can just kill?

and about the realism, a majority of the ammo an army uses is the ammo they you to suppress/distract a target while another group moves around for the kill. the actual kill shots are a fraction of all ammo used.

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by saltinerunner45 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:42 am

Phatty wrote:i had a few thoughts on this:
1) instead of wounds, they would reduce the suppressed squads range weapon skill. if it drops to 0 none of the units can shoot
perhaps it could reduce movement as well? i think this would make it worth it, and could be represented in fluff by saying the unit is keeping their heads down and slowly dashing between cover.
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
"In the grim darkness of the future, there is only static grass." -Smurfyk
2000pts Tyranid

vanishing
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by vanishing » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:58 pm

saltinerunner45 wrote:perhaps it could reduce movement as well? i think this would make it worth it, and could be represented in fluff by saying the unit is keeping their heads down and slowly dashing between cover.
Agreed. In a game that emphasizes tactical maneuvering, it seems that suppressive fire would be most focused on limiting the movement of the enemy. It also seems more like real fighting, in which a small unit can engage a larger unit, knowing they are outgunned but keeping them busy while other units come to their rescue (or maybe just go do other things, in which case the smaller unit eventually dies).

kappadevin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by kappadevin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:53 pm

What if suppressive fire wasn't the shooting unit's choice? Like instead of choosing "I am going to shoot to kill" or "I am going to shoot to suppress" instead if happens depending on circumstances?

If a squad has not moved from cover on their turn, it would automatically become suppressive fire, because that squad has had an entire turn to settle into the cover they are in, making them much harder to hit. Suppression should work just like wounding, except you ignore cover, and instead of wounds inflicted, each model "wounded" cant fire, like Phatty suggested above. If half of the squad is suppressed, then the squad also can't move.

Font
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Font » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Seems like we're making this over complicated, If you supress the unit, Just make it so it loses half its shots, and can't move.

Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phatty » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Font wrote:Seems like we're making this over complicated, If you supress the unit, Just make it so it loses half its shots, and can't move.
i think that makes sense.

how do you suppress then?

Munchkin
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Munchkin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:21 pm

How about:

Suppression fire is declared before firing. Firing is done in the normal way, however casualties are not removed but become a minus modification on a leadership roll (eg 3 casualties = a -3 dm) as per the last mechanics video.

The reason to do it this way, ie on wounds, is so that you can not have a unit that could not actually hurt its target (say due to armor) suppressing them. You must be able to wound them to have a chance to suppress.

Following the normal rules as far as max number of hits etc… will also make it harder for smaller units to suppress unless they are armed with high fire rate weapons eg machine guns.

After fire resolution is done, the unit under suppression fire must make a leadership roll - failure=suppression. Suppression means no firing, and no movement (unless directly away from the suppressing unit) until their next activation.

I don't think this makes suppression too powerful, as you are giving up enemy casualties for a chance you might stop a unit firing on you. If it comes off it is all good, if not then you have lost a turns firing.

Neither is it too weak - 'cos you do have a chance of neutralizing a unit for a turn.