Extreme range shooting

This is for topics that are out of date.
Masked Tyranid
Now we're getting somewhere...

Re: Extreme range shooting

Post by Masked Tyranid » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:18 pm

Huh. I hadn't even considered range bands. That's an interesting idea and would provide a way of incrementally downgrading a weapon's chance to hit as range increases. Still, I'm afraid that this system might necessitate more checks and calculations that might slow the game down. Yes, these are calculations that even a third grader could perform, but they still take time. It would be like this:

"Hm, okay, firing at the Face-Eater with my Slug Pistol. Range band is 10"..." Five seconds pass as distances are measured. "He's 32 inches away..." Two seconds pass as the guy does math in his head. "Okay, that's a -2 penalty..." Two more seconds, more math. "Roll to hit was 6 or more... now I need 8 or more." So, that's maybe around nine seconds just to work out a penalty, maybe more if we're not dealing in multiples of 10.

In contrast, with my system, you'd just check if you're in your weapon's standard range, and if not, use extreme range rules. Granted, it's like driving along a flat road until you go right off the edge of a cliff, but it would be faster. Something to think about.

I like the idea of sniper weapons not working the same way as other weapons at long range because it just makes sense. On the other hand, a slow-firing weapon with a scope meant for such long ranges might be hard to fire at someone who's zigzagging around five feet from you, so maybe they should also gain some sort of penalty at extremely short ranges?

CoalitionOfMyths
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by CoalitionOfMyths » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:45 pm

Masked Tyranid wrote:Huh. I hadn't even considered range bands. That's an interesting idea and would provide a way of incrementally downgrading a weapon's chance to hit as range increases. Still, I'm afraid that this system might necessitate more checks and calculations that might slow the game down. Yes, these are calculations that even a third grader could perform, but they still take time. It would be like this:

"Hm, okay, firing at the Face-Eater with my Slug Pistol. Range band is 10"..." Five seconds pass as distances are measured. "He's 32 inches away..." Two seconds pass as the guy does math in his head. "Okay, that's a -2 penalty..." Two more seconds, more math. "Roll to hit was 6 or more... now I need 8 or more." So, that's maybe around nine seconds just to work out a penalty, maybe more if we're not dealing in multiples of 10.
Just like how people in warhammer could look up the table on 'to hit' and 'wounds' it'll become 2nd nature ;) give it a chance
"If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk." -Guts

"DO NOT PRAY! If you pray, your hands will close together. You will not be able to fight!" -Guts

Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phatty » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:58 pm

CoalitionOfMyths wrote:Just like how people in warhammer could look up the table on 'to hit' and 'wounds' it'll become 2nd nature ;) give it a chance
agreed. in this small of a game you will know the range bands of the few weapons you may have

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by wizardv12222 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:16 pm

Along these lines, some weapons are designed to be fired at long range and should have a min range.

Grenade launchers and mortars for example.
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee

novakidx
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by novakidx » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:22 pm

medium range as well of course

CoalitionOfMyths
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by CoalitionOfMyths » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:38 pm

wizardv12222 wrote:Along these lines, some weapons are designed to be fired at long range and should have a min range.

Grenade launchers and mortars for example.
or getting that last kill could be worth the splash and frendfyre
"If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk." -Guts

"DO NOT PRAY! If you pray, your hands will close together. You will not be able to fight!" -Guts

Grandpapanurgle
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Grandpapanurgle » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:31 am

Perhaps this has been answered elsewhere but I am new to the boards

Wouldn't having having every unit capable of shooting across the board effectively slow the game down significantly as regardless of whether my odds are good it's in my best interest to fire as much as possible? Wouldn't a trained soldier know that this is an extreme shot and thus be wasteful as far as ammo and position?
If I cannot find a way, I will make one.

Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phatty » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:39 pm

On the idea of a soldier knowing a shot is to far deals more with premeasuring. Also remember this game is going to use a LOT more cover than 40K so LOS is going to be a big factor