Seamus' #thedailypaint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Seamus
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Seamus' #thedailypaint

Post by Seamus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:35 am

I'm gonna try my hand at a #TheDailyPaint.

Finished my Contemptor and his two friends and finished painting after masking some danger stripes.

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Seamus' #thedailypaint

Post by Oceangrave0 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:22 am

Welcome to the group! can't wait to see close ups of the contemptor
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:24 am

Looks great so far! ::offers a welcome basket::
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Seamus
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Seamus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:39 pm

Here is the Lucius Pattern Drop Pod with the masking tape off the initial step of some blue lights lining the way down the ramps:

And here is a closeup of the Contemptor. I'm more or less done with it except for some micron pen work on the banners and purity seals. Also, yes that is a kit-bashed assault gun from a land speeder that I put together and attached to the right shoulder with 1/32" x 3/16" magnets.

Seamus
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Seamus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:14 am

I didn't have a chance to paint today as I want to go see the new 007 flick Skyfall.

What I did have a chance to complete today, though, was 15 Assault marines with magnetized back backs.

Four sergeants with power axes, a fella with a melta gun and the rest (10) with chainswords and bolt pistols.

I got a couple of cans of Dragon Red Army Painter spray primer that will go on tomorrow along with finishing priming my two drop pods.

Seamus
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Seamus » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:46 am

I finally started painting up my Dark Vengeance Dark Angels. Started with my tactical squad.

Steps taken thus far:
1) Primed in Army Painter Angel Green spray paint.
2) Washed entire model in a heavy coat Citadel Coelia Greenshade
3) Heavy dry brushed Citadel Snot Green (now called Warpstone Glow) over all the armor bits.
4) Lightly dry brushed Citadel Goblin Green (dunno what the new color is called) over all the armor bits.
5) Lightly dry brushed Caliban Green (dunno what the old color is called) over all the armor bits; making sure to leave the glow of the lighter greens to show through.
6) Painted the robe of the sergeant and the chests of all the tactical marines with Citadel Dheneb Stone (now called Rakarth Flesh)
7) Started painting (not finished) the joint ribbing Citadel Abaddon Black (formerly called Chaos Black)

Please, let me know what you think.

Seamus
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Seamus » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:03 pm

Just wanted to show the completed product of the Dark Vengeance Dark Angels Tactical Squad.

This is the first time I've ever painted plasma guns so I hope others like the outcome.
This was also the first time I ever created my own wash (using flow improver and Citadel Elf Flesh at about 7:1) to wash the top of the sergeant's head after the black wash for his hair. I think the buzz cut turned out really well.

Seamus
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Seamus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:43 am

Just a quick update.

Primed in Army Painter Dragon Red.
A couple of coats of Dheneb Stone on the accents.
Finally, started a couple of layers of Ushabti Bone over the Dheneb Stone.

After this comes the black and silver and gold details and followed by a wash and weathering.

Seamus
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Seamus » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:44 pm

1) Finished the two Blood Angel Drop Pods a few days ago.
  • Primed them both inside and out in The Army Painter's Dragon Red.
    On the accent areas I painted Dheneb Stone.
    Over the Dheneb Stone I painted Ushabti Bone.
    I painted the chapter symbols and the Aguilla eagle on the doors.
    I applied Averland Sunset Base to the edges of the doors.
    I applied Sunburst Yellow to the edges of the doors.
    I masked off the edges of the inner doors with Tamiya 6mm masking tape.
    I added masked lines on the edges of the doors and burnished them in very carefully.
    I painted Chaos Black to the non-masked areas of the door edges.
    I carefully removed the masking tape from the doors.
    I painted all the bits that were meant to be bare metal Boltgun Metal.
    I highlighted the bare metal bits with Chainmail paint.
    I washed the entire model excluding the Ushabti Bone areas and the previously masked door edges with Nuln Oil.
    I washed the Ushabti Bone Areas and rivits with with Gryphon Sepia.
    I applied Nuln Oil to the doors where I felt weathering would occur.
    Finally, I added a super light blue to the dots on the doors to look like exit lights.

2) Assault Marine (Forgecraft Fire & Brimstone) Bases
  • Started applying the colors I use for Dreadnought Blood Talons in reverse order.
    Heavy paint of Sunburst Yellow as the main color on the base.
    Dry brushed orange over the yellow. Not really avoiding the deep cracks yet.
    Dry brushed Evil Suns Scarlet over the orange and yellow leaving a bit of orange behind.
    Dry brushed Mephiston Red over the base leaving a bit of the lighter red behind.
    Dry brushed Khorne Red over the lighter red leaving a bit of Mephiston Red behind.
    Dry brushed brown over the red leaving a bit of Khorne Red behind.
    I used a pin vise to drill holes into the bases at their highest part.
    I placed my pinned Assault Marines into the bases to check for dry fitting.
    Glue will be added later after painting the Marines.

3) Built a shelf to hold my models and remind me about how much of a slacker I am about painting.

Seamus
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Seamus » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:30 am

Oh hai there Sisters. Nice Mephiston Red you got on there. Frakin' swarm armies, am I right?

Looks like my Harbinger of Despair has a digestive problem.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 am

O_O Wow, I wouldn't worry about being a 'slacker' when they look that good when you're done!
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Seamus
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Seamus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:03 pm

On a whim last night I decided to paint my Saint Celestine. (Yes I know the angel wings are over-used but I didn't know that when I built her almost a year ago.)

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:51 pm

looking good. Welcome to TDP!

Seamus
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Seamus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:58 pm

So one thing I've noticed about my painting is when I'm painting feminine faces (Sister of Battle), they don't get recognized as feminine. I displayed my Saint Celestine figure to a couple coworkers of mine who are very much not into mini wargaming. Both their first questions were "What's his name?"

After the first person, I thought he was only trolling me for being a nerd. But then the second person asked the same thing and it got me worried.

I figured the bright red lipstick and the fact that the model has boobs gave away the fact that the character is female but apparently it's my painting style. (Also, BTW, yes I am very aware that the SoB are not the best models to sport feminine faces out there.)

So this problem is also partly my fault as I paint faces the same regardless of character gender. First Ratskin Flesh, then a 50:50 mix of Ratskin Flesh and Elf Flesh, and finally highlighted with Elf Flesh.

Any tips and tricks out there for specifically painting feminine faces?

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:15 am

Seamus wrote:So one thing I've noticed about my painting is when I'm painting feminine faces (Sister of Battle), they don't get recognized as feminine. I displayed my Saint Celestine figure to a couple coworkers of mine who are very much not into mini wargaming. Both their first questions were "What's his name?"
not ur fault, GW does horrible female sculpts
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”