It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Sleepy's #thedailypaint
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:39 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
Hi!

THIS HAND SHALL CRUSH THE... wait what?!

I might be new to painting, but I'm in heat! I got 16-18ish days to finish my whooooole dark eldar battle force, so here we go!

This is all I did tonight.

Some fresh, good shaved and white primed Kabalite Warriors. Not sure how much I do this Sunday, since I won't be able to stick a brush between my fingers until it's night again, but let's see.

Good night everybody.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:15 pm 
The Duckiest!

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Welcome to it! And right out the gate with a massive self-induced challenge! I like your style, good sir!

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:17 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
First off, welcome to thedailypaint!
Love seeing DE, I'll be watching!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:12 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

We salute you! And good luck.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:02 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Whoop, Whoop! Thanks for all the warm words!

I expected what would happen today. I finally come home after spending the day with my family, still kinda sunny outside. I just got a brush in my hand and suddenly ... DARKNESS.

So instead of basecoating all 9 Kabalite Warriors today, I could only finish one.

Nuff said, here the pictures:

I'm really amazed about how it turned out with the white primer on it instead of black.
Thinning the paint and doing 2 layers instead one, really worked wonders too, props to blacksanity and a luna for the tips they gave me! Looks way better than my first try, now.

Sticking the miniature on something that fits better in a hand was also pretty good to try out. Gonna do it always from now one, feels way better.

Tomorrow I probably gonna finish the 8 missing ones.

I also got something to exercise some better highlighting than on my first model.

Guess I will still have enough time tomorrow to do that.

I'M SO IN HEAT.

Last edited by SleepyPillow on Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:06 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Really like the base colour you have their, looking good so far!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:29 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Thanks!

Actually it's pure "Vallejo Game Color magic blue" ... well no... it's pure magic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:04 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
SleepyPillow wrote:
I just got a brush in my hand and suddenly ... DARKNESS.

About the only time I ever get to paint is after everyone else in the house goes to bed, so I end up always painting under man-made light. My computer/hobby room ends up being the brightest room in the house.

I agree with the above, that blue looks good on them warriors.

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee
Latest video, 3000 batrep, IG vs BA escalation rules!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:00 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

wizardv12222 wrote:
About the only time I ever get to paint is after everyone else in the house goes to bed, so I end up always painting under man-made light. My computer/hobby room ends up being the brightest room in the house.

Sadly I only have really small lamp, standing on my table. I have to be really close to it while painting and that usually reflects the light in such a bad way that the parts I'm working on are barely watchable.

Today's work:

I'm blue da be dee da ba di!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:19 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

My daily contribution for the great painting gods:

Basing for the weapons in a very dark blue and heavy skintone for the clothes. I just realized that I purchased a wrong color! Vgc heavy grey, which looks greenish, instead of heavy warm grey, which is needed for my warriors clothes. I guess I can't finish them until friday cuz of this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:48 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Today I got a good chuck done. Finished the metallic parts, chains, knifes and repainted a HELL of parts with mistakes.

The Clothes, Weapons 'N Stuff are going to be done tomorrow, but at the moment I'm not quite sure what to do with the armor, especially the helmets. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:14 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Welcome aboard bud! Supposedly there are all these welcoming gifts but I still have yet to get anything!

DE are looking good and great work on the progress. It always surprises me how challenges/pledges make us work harder. Keep at it dude!

For the DE, the armor... What do you want to do to them?
I'd say wash and highlight for sure, are you asking for more beyond this?
Maybe add some red and orange into the recesses where the eyes would be to give it some life.

Whenever I need some ideas or inspiration I look to google. Just a quick search for DE pics should produce tons of ideas for you to try out. If you like something and can't figure out how to go about applying it feel free to post the pic here and ask. This community is always willing to help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:56 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Thanks a lot for your welcome and there's truly no need for gifts. I'm gifted with spending time with the community.

Blue wrote:

For the DE, the armor... What do you want to do to them?
I'd say wash and highlight for sure, are you asking for more beyond this?

Kind of more beyond what you said. I really don't have an idea on how to work with their armor. I gonna show you a picture before telling you more.

This is a comparison between the first model I painted (ever) and one of the 9 guys I'm working on at the moment. The Reason why Mr. numero uno looks way darker is, that I used a black primer instead of a white one.

Let's forget about weapons, clothes and stuff and just look at the armor. My first warrior got (not that good) highlights with an icy blue and.. thats it already! :P
I would like to improve the quality of my other 9 warriors, which is why I asked for some input.

Applying a wash sounds good. But what kind of wash? Which color? A dark wash? a pale one? I dunno what could look good.

Blue wrote:
Maybe add some red and orange into the recesses where the eyes would be to give it some life.

Yeah that's a good idea. I was thinking about giving the eyes a effect like in this picture. (borrowed from A Luna's "FULL PAINTING GUIDE")

Orange sounds good. That should look good together with the brass parts, shouldn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:15 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Wash...
I personally would thin down some orange and apply it only to the recesses. This should help darken the blue. Then follow that with a dark brown wash all over. Not too thick so not to make them dirty just enough to shade the blue and cover up some of the orange color.

You can follow this by 're-basecoating' all of the raised areas leaving the darker washed in shade alone. This should cover up any mistakes made with the wash as well as bring the minis color back up a notch.

To highlight the DE are great with edge highlights. Just run the side of your brush along all of the raised edges. You've got this down pretty good but try not to have so much paint on your brush when you go to the mini. Dip it in paint then wipe it on a paper towel quickly. This will help in avoiding those areas where the paint pools and leaves a dark line in the middle. Don't forget to thin your highlights as well.

To take the highlights a step further simply do more layers getting smaller with every one/closer to the highest edge.
So...
1st highlight all the way around every raised edge
2nd highlight on all edges towards the top of the mini
3rd highlight on the very raised highest points of the mini

Getting brighter with each layer. Mixing your paints helps with a better transition. For instance I would not apply icy blue over that dark of a base. I would mix the two 1:1 for my first highlight.

SleepyPillow wrote:
Orange sounds good. That should look good together with the brass parts, shouldn't it?

It should, yes but moreover I was thinking of contrasting with the blue so they stand out a little.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:51 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Puuuh, well that's some input. Thanks! The parts I didn't quoted for more questions, are everything I totally agree with, so I will keep them in mind for tomorrow!

Blue wrote:
Wash...
I personally would thin down some orange and apply it only to the recesses. This should help darken the blue. Then follow that with a dark brown wash all over. Not too thick so not to make them dirty just enough to shade the blue and cover up some of the orange color.

I not experienced enough to imagine if I'm able to archive this in a good locking way. I'm going to prepare some bits for tomorrow to test that out and show you guys!

Blue wrote:
You've got this down pretty good but try not to have so much paint on your brush when you go to the mini. Dip it in paint then wipe it on a paper towel quickly. This will help in avoiding those areas where the paint pools and leaves a dark line in the middle. Don't forget to thin your highlights as well.

If it comes to highlights I'm really scared to thin them. I experienced situations where the to over-thinned paint just flowed uncontrollable over the miniature. I need to get used to how much I really need.

And yeah I used way to much paint. Need to work on that.

Thanks again, this was really insight- and helpful. I'm going to hit the sack now, but I cant wait to grab my brushes again!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next