Farseer Oz #thedailypaint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: Farseer Oz #thedailypaint

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:53 pm

I love the marble effects man. How did you do it? Or did I miss that part in an earlier post?
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Yeah it's mentioned in an earlier post.

Shadow Grey and then I mashed a Devlin Mud in blotages and then did the same with a drybrush of codex grey.

Did the bronze on the bottom floor last night. Tonight will desprue and undercoat and begin work on the next floor and level.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

Farseer Oz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 pm

Had that moment when you desprue what you need, spend some time cleaning it up and getting rid of the mold lines to then find out that you are out of undercoat spray.

Rockers :(

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:03 am

You can always just paint it on by hand. Chaos Black or any of the foundation paints are actually ok as a primer or base coat.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Smartah
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Smartah » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:47 pm

everything is looking sweet. I've never painted terrain, but you're giving me the itch to start
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

Farseer Oz

Post by Farseer Oz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:06 pm

Did some more last night after being away for the weekend at a friends wedding.

Put the next floor on and did 2 more walls. Will finish the interior of the building tonight and post a pic. Wanting to get this finished by Easter Saturday as I have a game and would like this on the board. Although the exterior has a lot of detail so its going to be close.

Farseer Oz

Post by Farseer Oz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Finally finished the inside of the building, now onto the exterior

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:50 pm

The painting looks great dude!
My only nit-picky complaint would be that the building is too clean. (no rubble)
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Farseer Oz

Post by Farseer Oz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Nah good call Blue, I was considering whether I make a base for it or have it as it is so it can be placed on the board easily.

I'll chat to the guys I game with and see what they think, but if I make a base for it then definately adding rubble will add to it's effect.

Cheers

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Its looks awesome Oz, but agree a bit to clean.. even the walls, in my opinion so take with a grain of salt, look a bit to clean to me.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Farseer Oz

Post by Farseer Oz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Yeah I'm too use to painting Eldar and I think my painting style is a very clean style.

So I will admit I am struggling to paint dirty models, this is me trying to paint an old dirty building LOL. Hense the heavy washes.

I'm a bit lost into how I could dirty this up further. Suggestions most welcome.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:08 pm

Hmmm blood smear, bullet holes?

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:53 am

Even without basing it you could add some sand/rubble/wood/junk to the floors. Dead body, random weapon or an ammo crate could liven it up a bit.

For some extra grime you could add some streaking like seen here on the interior walls. Simply take a pointy brush and some super thinned paint and run small lines down from the top of the walls. I also stippled some black over some of the edges once done. Sort of gives a washed-out burnt feel. With all of those things hanging on the wall you can really push this effect on your build.

Here are some more pics for added inspiration.

You can also wash all that metal in turquoise to add a patina effect.

Farseer Oz

Post by Farseer Oz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:23 pm

Wow that is an amazing piece mate, love it.

Ok, you have inspired me to step it up a bit on my building.

So with those rain type streaks down the wall did you use a thinned down black or brown?

I think adding the watered down turquoise will help with the bronze pieces as well, I did that with the space marine statue and it turned out pretty good.

I've decided to add a base and do some rubble and fallen pieces etc.

What do you recommend I use for the base? I want something thin but not flimsey. Also for the rubble I was thinking of using a combination of sand and pebbles you get from a pet store for the bottom of fish tanks.

This is the first time I've actually painted a building and made terrain etc so sorry for the newb questions.

Blue

Post by Blue » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Farseer Oz wrote:Wow that is an amazing piece mate, love it.
Thanks!

Ok, you have inspired me to step it up a bit on my building.

So with those rain type streaks down the wall did you use a thinned down black or brown?
Both actually. Black, brown and a lighter brown. The lighter brown isn't too visible in the pics but the streaks actually run further they just fade into the wall color the lower they go.

I think adding the watered down turquoise will help with the bronze pieces as well, I did that with the space marine statue and it turned out pretty good.

I've decided to add a base and do some rubble and fallen pieces etc.

What do you recommend I use for the base? I want something thin but not flimsey.
Most use 1/8 - 1/4 inch MDF board that you can buy at a local hardware/DIY store. Obviously 1/8 inch is more likely to warp than 1/4. That build I linked above was built on a clipboard backing.

Also for the rubble I was thinking of using a combination of sand and pebbles you get from a pet store for the bottom of fish tanks.
This is a great start but to save some money instead use some playground/baseball diamond sand, silt from the local river/stream bed, kitty litter or just plain old dirt from the garden. Better yet mix all of them together. Once glue hits these and dries it cures hard. You may also want to add some larger less organic things. Cut up some sprues, pop sticks, straws, wire/ wire mesh, plastic card, anything really into small pieces and mix it into your sand mixture.

This is the first time I've actually painted a building and made terrain etc so sorry for the newb questions.
Never a problem dude, we've all been there! :wink: