Shanon's #'daily'painting.

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Countryrobin
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Re: Shanon's #'daily'painting.

Post by Countryrobin » Wed May 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Idk Is it 4 pound bag of MIke n Ikes
I got that once it was... it was good

But for something like this would be sour patch kids for me
"Do not go where there is a path, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.".

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Thu May 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Soooo the painting did not go as planned.. I tried to do Mike's technique with... meh results and I'm being generous, as you will see in the photo. When I added the white it just didn't look right,. I'm think of trying something else tomorrow... I dunno.. What ya'll think?

Pardon the quality, hard to take pics when dealing with a Border collie whose terrified of thunder storms demanding your attention
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:34 pm

from the pic id say it looks pretty decent Soria, probably better than most of my attempts
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Countryrobin
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by Countryrobin » Thu May 03, 2012 10:16 pm

by the looks of it you have only one light source or multiple light sources facing one direction.
what I would do is have another light source with the light facing the left and if you can have one above facing down

you soften your light by taking (wax or parchment)paper over the light so it doesn't create hard shadows
"Do not go where there is a path, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.".

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue May 08, 2012 12:20 pm

Thanks for the advice Robin.

So.. Yesterday I went a bit nuts, I worked on terrain, painted bits for said terrain, put some sand on the base of my space marines and stripped some models... I guess I was kinda trying to make up for getting bubcus done lately, and knowing I wouldn't get any hobby time today.

Quick question for anybody who know.. can you use the old ( at least old now) Citadel washes on sand?
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Oceangrave0
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:43 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:Thanks for the advice Robin.

So.. Yesterday I went a bit nuts, I worked on terrain, painted bits for said terrain, put some sand on the base of my space marines and stripped some models... I guess I was kinda trying to make up for getting bubcus done lately, and knowing I wouldn't get any hobby time today.

Quick question for anybody who know.. can you use the old ( at least old now) Citadel washes on sand?
Yes you can, make sure your sand is solid down though, or else itll just pop off.
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed May 16, 2012 10:52 am

So... no posts for awhile also haven't worked on anything since my last post. Yeah... between super stressful couple of weeks + Mother's Day blahs + My room being an oven in the evening ( when I usually get my hobby mojo going) = Unmotivated werewolf. Hopefully I'll get something done tonight. :: fingers crossed.::

fluffyfen
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by fluffyfen » Wed May 16, 2012 11:37 am

ill be waiting M'lady :P i expect something amazing :3
Bromanced to my Brosband - BewareOfTom

Pen gun, mightier than the sword. Sword gun, mightier than the pen gun.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed May 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Well, nothing amazing, but stuff has been done! Working on ye old terrain.. I'm new at this so I am going SLOW. But here's WIP pic.

Like I said, nothing special yet. The story behind the piece is that its a 'wilderness shrine' to the Lady of Bretonnia. But why, you ask, would the royal, and somewhat snobbish Brets, put a Shrine to their Goddess in the middle of the woods? You see it was discovered that items left there, by some feat or another, gain a blessing, or power of sorts, or at least that's what came about as I planned it out. So there are a few items left in there later to be reclaimed, some never are, but other brave knights feel no shame in taking up a blessed item long forgotten, always taking care to leave behind a mundane one. Like a mystic take a penny leave a penny. :D

Here's a quick pick of bit I'm using for the terrain.

Most of the bits don't look that great yet. Hard to languish attention on something that I'm not sure people will notice.

There is one thing I've put attention to.

A prayer icon... another part of the ruins story that the only thing that was found there originally was the prayer icon to the Lady. Since it's a focus item I figure it should looks grand. :D

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Thu May 17, 2012 4:32 am

Terrain! Sweet!
I really like the story behind the piece as well. Good luck!
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Thu May 17, 2012 9:10 am

Thanks Blue. :D I'm also glad you like the story behind it. I will admit a tiny bit is borrowed from something I read in a Dragon Lance novel, but the rest is all me.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Fri May 18, 2012 9:15 am

Alright, the terrain got some more work on it last night. All it needs know is to be primed and painted. YAY!

Oceangrave0

Post by Oceangrave0 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:20 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:Alright, the terrain got some more work on it last night. All it needs know is to be primed and painted. YAY!
PICS GIRL!!!!! PICS!!!! or it didn't happen and all that >:D
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Fri May 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Might not be pics tonight. Had a lot to do and for some strange reason I found gaps between one of the ruin walls and foam board. Using facial tissue to plug it up.. but it meant I had to wait for the glue to dry before I got prime. The good news is the tissue looks like it will lend itself werll to being rocks.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue May 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Temporary halt in the terrain. foam I'm using drink paint like a Dwarf drink ale, so I need to buy some more paint for it, and hopefully find a big jug of grey paint. So I'm working on some dwarf miners and a few other dwarfs in the mean time.

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”