Dustinp's #the daily paint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: Dustinp's #the daily paint

Post by Midge913 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:49 pm

I like the metallics much better mate! I am one of those guys who despises the NMM fad that is going on now a days. I am diggin' the switch on your chappy as the metallics add much needed contrast. Well done, he looks great.
www.midge913.com
Commissions, Works in Progress, and Gallery
Follow me on Twitter:@MidgesWorkshop

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by dustinp » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:15 am

Midge913 wrote:I like the metallics much better mate! I am one of those guys who despises the NMM fad that is going on now a days. I am diggin' the switch on your chappy as the metallics add much needed contrast. Well done, he looks great.
thanks midge, i would still have the NMM on em if the steel worked out. it's not that i'm a huge fan of the NMM, it's just one of those tecniques that i want to have under the belt. i do like the styalized look of it and i've seen some very convincing NMM. i just think it looks cool. definitely not realistic, i've done pretty similar styalized looking swords on some swordmasters a while back that were done in metallic but had the NMM look. i think both can look good. metallic is just quicker for me right now :) at least to achieve a certain look.

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:53 am

Final product looks great dude!
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by dustinp » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:23 pm

so not too much going on today, after finishing the chaplain yesterday. well today i've gotten some layers down on the land raider (not the forgeworld one ) going to try the sea salt paint chip effect on it, so far laid down the rust colour underneath set some salt around the edges and now i'm waiting for the water to dry. just got one side done for now, i should have some picks up tomorrow of how it turned out as for the base coat and chips anyways, probably won't get as far as highlighting it but we'll see.

Smartah
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Smartah » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:00 pm

He looks great! I love the base too, really makes him stand out
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by dustinp » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:23 pm

well yesterday was a bust as far as painting went. was out snomobiling all day so i think the trade off was good enough. also work called this morning so today will be a packing and prep day so i won't get anything done either. and i'll probably be gone for the rest of this month and probably all of next month as well. if i can give an update i will for sure but i doubt i'll have much time depending on what kind of shifts they decide to run.

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by dustinp » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:03 am

no painting today, travelled all day. in Edmonton now. and i forgot something very important at home this morning. my primer, so tomorrow hopefully i get off early enough to maake it to a hobby, or automotive shop before closing so i can pick some up. brought some warmachine stuff along with me to paint up. some menoth warcasters and a unit of something that i can't remember the name of.

Smartah
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Smartah » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:57 pm

Traveling always puts a wrench in the gears of painting. I hope you got your primer!
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by dustinp » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:53 pm

picked up some primer, but unfortunately all they had was black not really black more of a charcoal colour and i wasn't going to a GW and spending over 20 bucks a can. so i'll deal with black for now. did manage to lay down some base colours for my high reclaimer model. just the steel, gold, copper, and black. just gotta lay down some skintones and possibly some blue for the hood. we'll see as it moves along.

kavika0311
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by kavika0311 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:40 pm

I actually have a question about the Space Wolves you put up a while back. How did you get the recesses while using an airbrush to paint the power armour? Did you just black line the crap out of them with a brush, or use a wash in some way that I can't seem to comprehend?
AOBR Astartes Coalition

Imperial Fists WIP

Critiques and tips are more than welcome.

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by dustinp » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:17 pm

kavika0311 wrote:I actually have a question about the Space Wolves you put up a while back. How did you get the recesses while using an airbrush to paint the power armour? Did you just black line the crap out of them with a brush, or use a wash in some way that I can't seem to comprehend?
after i do the airbrushing, i do a glosscoat over top, then i go in with and oil wash and just pin was the recesses, small amount of oil paint and mix it with turpentine, try and get the odorless or non toxic stuff, t just makes it more tolerable. the advantage of the oil wash over the regular GW or any other washes for that matter, at least from my experience with it is. the flow characteristics of the oil wash is so much nicer for pin washing i almost had to do no cleanup because it went exactly where i wanted it to go. there's a few guys on youtube that show this technique in action if you would like to see, check out nuclealosaur, and awesomepaintjob sho you this technique. nuclealosaur shows you how to make them.

kavika0311
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by kavika0311 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:43 pm

dustinp wrote:after i do the airbrushing, i do a glosscoat over top, then i go in with and oil wash and just pin was the recesses, small amount of oil paint and mix it with turpentine, try and get the odorless or non toxic stuff, t just makes it more tolerable. the advantage of the oil wash over the regular GW or any other washes for that matter, at least from my experience with it is. the flow characteristics of the oil wash is so much nicer for pin washing i almost had to do no cleanup because it went exactly where i wanted it to go. there's a few guys on youtube that show this technique in action if you would like to see, check out nuclealosaur, and awesomepaintjob sho you this technique. nuclealosaur shows you how to make them.
Thanks man. I haven't even heard of oil washes. I'll definitely check it out. Your Space Wolves were beautiful.
AOBR Astartes Coalition

Imperial Fists WIP

Critiques and tips are more than welcome.

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by dustinp » Mon May 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Hey guys, sorry i haven't been to active in this forum lately. been working away from home for the past mont and a half. but i have just gotten home a couple days agao, well almoost a full week and had a few goodies in the mail and was really excited to get to start painting them up. so this is the first thing i've painted up since i got home, i still need to throw some black insied the gun and it'll be done, noticed that after i had taken the pictures.

the first model of a pre heresy project i'm working on. also i've been working on my deathmatch entry, it's slowly coming along but t should be done in a few days, longest part of it is going to be the metallics. Hope you guys like and i'll get something else up tomorrow hopefully.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue May 22, 2012 1:24 pm

That is... wow.. Is that a conversion? Because my eyes and brain say 'no'.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:That is... wow.. Is that a conversion? Because my eyes and brain say 'no'.
Forgeworld lol
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”