Dustinp's #the daily paint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Re: Dustinp's #the daily paint

Postby dustinp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:25 am

well it's still sunday here in BC, i didn't get much done but i did manage to get some of the shading done on the black areas. I might take it further with both but i'll get the rest painted up first before i decide on that. here's some more of the chaplain.

going to have to hit it with a matte varnish since the vallejo game color dries glossy and the model color dries matte.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Dez » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:43 am

Imho it's still looking very grey, but that could be a trick of the camera ;)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Postby dustinp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:31 am

Dez wrote:Imho it's still looking very grey, but that could be a trick of the camera ;)

you mean the whole model or just the "black" areas?

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Dez » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:09 pm

Sorry about that, I meant overall.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Postby dustinp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Dez wrote:Sorry about that, I meant overall.

it's all good. that's kinda the look i'm going for. trying to use a muted color palette for him, kinda the same as i did for my Azrael model i did a while back. you can see it on the content site if you like. i really like using military'ish colors for my Dark angels stuff.

So for today the only progress i've made ( it's still early ) but probably the only progress i'll mak today is with the red seections, so the purity seal wax, gems and the storm bolter. i know you're not supposed to use white to highlight red but i kinda like the look if you use very little. anyways guys enjoy.

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Postby dustinp » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:04 am

well not too much got done today on the chaplain, just did the cloth/parchment areas then went over the black with a super thin layer of thamar black and it ended up darkening it a lot more than i was hoping to i have to go back to it and pick out some highlights. i also got started on building a dark angels landraider from forgeworld, so expect to see that coming up something in the neer future. sorry, no pics today i'll have some up tomorrow once i've worked the black a bit more on the chaplain.

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Postby dustinp » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Well, today i've got the land raider interior ready to be primed and painted. still havent gotten much done on the chaplain, but here's a progress pic anyways, i still need to blend up some highlights on the black and maybe take the shading on the parchment between his legs a bit further.

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Oceangrave0 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:12 pm

looking really good man, like how the bone is coming out.
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Postby Blue » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:16 pm

Nice work! The metal on the thing he is holding in his left hand looks great.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Postby Farseer Oz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:14 pm

What do you use as the background to take your photo's?
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Postby dustinp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Farseer Oz wrote:What do you use as the background to take your photo's?

i just use a charcoal'ish black piece of poster board.

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Postby dustinp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:07 pm

Blue wrote:Nice work! The metal on the thing he is holding in his left hand looks great.

thanks Blue. unfortunately i couldn't get the NMM steel on the stormbolter right, so i had to change it on his weapon too, it just didn't look right to me to have on in NMM and the other in a metallic metal. i was really happy with the way the gold turned out before i changed it. it still looks ok, but atleast it's not out of place.

well i finally finished him today, i'm pretty happy with the end result there's a few thing i may work on later but that'll be after i learn a few things.

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Postby dustinp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:08 pm

woops not finished lol, just looked at the handle of the weapon. wow, well guess i got a bit more work to do.

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Oceangrave0 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:14 pm

still looks real good man :D
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Postby dustinp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:24 pm

ok no he's officially done, well done enough for me.

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”