Dustinp's #the daily paint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Re: Dustinp's #the daily paint

Post by dustinp » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:04 pm

well here's what i managed to get painted up today. I keep missing sections that need paint, especially a lot of the metalic parts that still need painy. and if you're wondering why they got no heads is because i primed them seperately. it's a lot easier to paint flesh over white rather than a black. hope you like.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Wow... almost makes me want to make a Space Wolf army.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by wizardv12222 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:38 pm

I second that. Nice work!
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Midge913 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Very nice work on those puppies mate!
www.midge913.com
Commissions, Works in Progress, and Gallery
Follow me on Twitter:@MidgesWorkshop

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:46 am

They look great so far, are you using an airbrush to get those tones?
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:18 am

Very nice dude...
The gold looks great over the gray!
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by dustinp » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:57 am

Dez wrote:They look great so far, are you using an airbrush to get those tones?
Yeah, just on the grey areas though. it's just a lot faster than doing it with a brush lol. otherwise i'd proabaly still be going at the power armor with super thin layering or if i could get it smooth enough with wet blending. I'll be using a brush for when i start on the characters though, have way more control that way.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:24 am

Sir, those are absolutely beautiful.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Sarkastik
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by Sarkastik » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:52 am

Wow, just...... wow!
My Armies:
CSM - WIP
Tyranids - WIP

Twitter - @Sarkastic87

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Midge913 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:58 am

What is your gold recipe if you don't mind me asking?
www.midge913.com
Commissions, Works in Progress, and Gallery
Follow me on Twitter:@MidgesWorkshop

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by dustinp » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:45 pm

Midge913 wrote:What is your gold recipe if you don't mind me asking?
It's actually very very simple. I use valljo model air gold, thinned down a bit ( covers over anything extremely well ) then go over it with Vallejo game color sepia ink thinned about 1-1 with water. that's pretty much it. I might go back and do some highlights on the gold though. you're talking about the gold on the wolves right?

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by dustinp » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Oooh, and before applying the ink it's a good idea to hit the model with a clear coat varnish if possible. i find that the model air metallic paint do tend to have the mettalic flakes lift when using a wash over them, so a clear satin/matte/gloss will make this less of a pain to do ( something i need to start doing when i use their metallics ) differant clear coat will give a diferant look.

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by dustinp » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:53 pm

so i figured it was time to start using a light box, so today i made one. and this is how it turned out.

I'm hoping to get the Space wolves finished today at some point. when i do finish them i'll post some pics of before the lightbox and after. hoping this works out well enough.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Nice light box, I used to have one just like it! You can buy a portable one that comes with 2 lights pretty cheap, I got mine for $19 or something similar.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

dustinp
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by dustinp » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:09 pm

Dez wrote:Nice light box, I used to have one just like it! You can buy a portable one that comes with 2 lights pretty cheap, I got mine for $19 or something similar.
i might have to pick one of those portable ones up for when i'm on the road. you have any pics of it or do you know dimensions roughly?

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”