Blue's #thedailypaint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Blue's #thedailypaint

Post by Oceangrave0 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:28 pm

looks real good man, i love the camo scheme :D
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

blacktemplar
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by blacktemplar » Tue May 29, 2012 1:42 pm

That's a nice looking Hammerhead? you've got there. I wish were played in my area so that I could destroy it! :twisted:
#thedailypaint

Black Templars: 5000
W-T-L: 32-8-9
Lizardmen 3500
W-T-L: 11-0-3
Necrons: 3000
W-T-L: 10-3-6
"We play by Texas Warhammer 40K rules. The only rule is to know the rules."

ArqArturo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by ArqArturo » Tue May 29, 2012 6:42 pm

That is one awesome-looking hammerhead! Nicely done.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Tue May 29, 2012 11:52 pm

Oceangrave0 wrote:looks real good man, i love the camo scheme :D
Thanks dude!
blacktemplar wrote:That's a nice looking Hammerhead? you've got there. I wish were played in my area so that I could destroy it! :twisted:
Um... No.
ArqArturo wrote:That is one awesome-looking hammerhead! Nicely done.
Thanks bro!

Hopefully gonna start to add the dark brown today. I plan on adding small lines of dark brown to break up the pattern a bit more. Wish my sanity luck!
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

blacktemplar

Post by blacktemplar » Wed May 30, 2012 4:10 am

Not physically destroy it. I meant on the table with dice and such. I want my Emperors Champion to add a Hammerhead to his kill count!

Of all the vehicles he's assaulted and wrecked, that is one he has never encountered. :lol:
#thedailypaint

Black Templars: 5000
W-T-L: 32-8-9
Lizardmen 3500
W-T-L: 11-0-3
Necrons: 3000
W-T-L: 10-3-6
"We play by Texas Warhammer 40K rules. The only rule is to know the rules."

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Midge913 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:50 am

Tau are really shaping up man!!!! I love the hammerhead/skyray. I think that it is going to look absolutely awesome after all the details, spot colors, and weathering I know you are going to do. Congrats on the house!!! Movig blows, but now that you have a nice house all your own you won't need to do it again for awhile.

Looking forward to more updates.
www.midge913.com
Commissions, Works in Progress, and Gallery
Follow me on Twitter:@MidgesWorkshop

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:11 pm

blacktemplar wrote:Not physically destroy it.
Duh! :lol:

You still wouldn't destroy it! :wink:
Midge913 wrote:Looking forward to more updates.
Thanks for following along bud...

Finally done the camo pattern! I think my eyes will explode if I had to continue. When adding the dark brown lines to the camo pattern I had to get really close to the tank. After a while of staring at the pattern up close it started to shift and pulsate! I had to walk away a few times to allow my eyes to readjust to normalcy!
This only confirms my desired effect has been achieved! :twisted:

Currently gloss coating everything preparing for a dark brown pin wash.
Followed by: metallics, blue optics/glow, green sept symbols/black and white lettering, battle damage/weathering
Then I should be done... Should be...

Hopefully upload a pic for you once the gloss has dried a bit more...

Blue

Post by Blue » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:08 pm

Haha, pics!
The gloss isn't dried yet... Actually just added a second coat so it's really wet looking but you can see the small dark brown lines/squiggles added into the pattern.

Close up!

Dipped the airbrush into the ultrasonic after the gloss. I hate putting gloss varnish through my airbrush. It acts so weird to alcohol and Windex. It almost coagulates and clogs up even more!
Looks cool though... You can see the gloss cloud floating around in there!

Paint rubbing off has been more of a problem then usual with this big guy. I'm guessing because of the size and extra time needed to handle it for each step .
I was thinking of using a glove from now on but would rubber or cotton be better?

Oceangrave0
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:12 pm

is an airbrush really that easy to clean? just toss it into cleaner and let it sit?
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!

Blue

Post by Blue » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Well that's not all I did to it...
But it is really easy to clean an airbrush.

I usually just disassemble the needle and nozzle from the gun and hit everything with some nylon pipe brushes. I use windex to clean them. Wipe the needle with a paper towel.
That's usually all I do...
Sometimes though, such as now after varnishing or a long session I will use the ultrasonic to get it real clean. About 30 minutes and it comes out squeaky clean, literally!

As long as you thin your paints enough the paint will never be that hard to get out with a few minutes of cleaning.

Oceangrave0

Post by Oceangrave0 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Blue wrote:Well that's not all I did to it...
But it is really easy to clean an airbrush.

I usually just disassemble the needle and nozzle from the gun and hit everything with some nylon pipe brushes. I use windex to clean them. Wipe the needle with a paper towel.
That's usually all I do...
Sometimes though, such as now after varnishing or a long session I will use the ultrasonic to get it real clean. About 30 minutes and it comes out squeaky clean, literally!

As long as you thin your paints enough the paint will never be that hard to get out with a few minutes of cleaning.
okay, thanks blue, I am really looking forward to getting mine :D
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!

Blue

Post by Blue » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Had some rough days the past week or so but managed to find enough time to give this thing an oil wash and start on the metals.

On the left is unwashed Reaper Blackened Steel, on the right is washed black. I'm hoping after a dull coat most of the metallic will tone down and only be too noticeable when looked at up close.

Completely unwashed here. What do you guys think about metallics on tau minis. I used to be against it personally but it sort of grew on me...

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm so glad I don't have to do that stuff :lol: I would have thrown it out of the window already I think.
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Blue

Post by Blue » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:10 am

A Luna wrote: I would have thrown it out of the window already I think.
I've been close...
A few times...

Blue

Post by Blue » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:45 am

Metals are DONE!!!
All that is left is some lettering/ insignias and the blue optics and such. Then just a tad bit of weathering.
Your thoughts are appreciated...

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”